• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Should ANN Report about Crass "Mangasploitation" ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it may reveal an explotaion, leading to a negative light brought upon our beloved medium.

Sounds like that would be news worthy to me?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I voted 'yes.' I think it'd be an interesting look at how anime and manga's increasing popularity is affecting other aspects of our culture.

*Edited to be less redundant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
space clam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I vote that we use the plural form of "company," instead of its possessive form. Incidentally I voted "no" in the actual poll, because I don't particularly care about Thing 2 trying to capitalize on the popularity of Thing 1 via emulation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Intetsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I voted yes, not so much beause I like what ANN has termed 'mangasploitation' but I want to know what companies engage in it.

Know thy enemy.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Like reporting on Degrassi "manga"? NO WAY.

But then again, I'm one of those "evil purists" who thinks that OEL work should not be referred to as manga. But in the encyclopedia, there are a few OEL titles, so I think that it should be ANN's decision whether it is "relevant enough" to warrant news. That Degrassi "manga" shit? I don't think so, and by posting this poll right after posting that news, I'd say neither does the ANN staff. Some OEL work? Maybe, seeing as Pop Mihan's OEL is a featured review at the moment.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I voted yes because, I believe we the readers have a right to choose for ourselves what is and isn't newsworthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
I voted yes because, I believe we the readers have a right to choose for ourselves what is and isn't newsworthy.

To a degree this should obviously be true. But you also have to trust us to pre-select things for you.

ANN would be useless to you if we published every little piece of news. You'd never manage to find the 5-10 good articles a day if we posted 50 articles about crap...

This is one of the problems with out "single front page" format. Major print publications have sections, each with a front page, and there are news articles published inside the publication (ie: newspaper) that aren't even mentioned on the front page (sometimes not even on the section front page).

These articles are read because people leaf through the publication and see them when reading other articles.

This doesn't work as well online :-/

Although ANN may evolve to a multi-section format in the future, with articles being posted in their sections and only the 5-10 most important articles making it to the front page.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I voted Yes. It's always comedy to read the purist weeaboo rant and rave about how their favourite title has been blasphemed against. Laughing
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I think yes/no is too much of a polarised poll. What do you mean by Mangaspoitation? I like seen OEL titles review, and in the encyclopedia, but I certainly don't think every animated show, music video or advert that has anime-style animation needs to be in there... just the ones that are of Japanese origin, are a Japanese co-production, or at least have a significant Japanese input. There are levels to this.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I voted yes but it depends on how anime-related it is. Like, if it's about a U.S./Japanese co-production like Afro Samurai or Robotech The Shadow Chronicles, then I think it should be reported, but it shouldn't be reported if it's just some sort of news about an anime-inspired cartoon like Avatar or Teen Titans that are mainly American productions. ANN should stick to reporting anime-related news according to what the site defines as anime and not just report everything under the sun that has the words anime and manga attached to them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else having some difficulties voting? When I go to vote all I see is the question and cast my vote, yet there are no choices to choose from. Assuming there are only two choices (yes or no) I would probably say no. Simply because I don't we need extra fluff added to the main page. However.....

Tempest wrote:
Although ANN may evolve to a multi-section format in the future, with articles being posted in their sections and only the 5-10 most important articles making it to the front page.

If this were the case I would then agree to having news that isn't exactly anime related. Actually I would really like to see that, are there any plans to actually make a multiple pages like a newspaper?
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I voted "no" because this phenomena seems to be on the rise and only relates marginally to real anime and manga. As long as it's one or two pieces of news a month it doesn't bother me, but it's starting to get frequent and I don't want the "real" news to be buried under it. All we get then is threads in the Talkback forums complaining about Tokyopop or Del Ray disgracing the good name of manga and I have no patience for that.

...obviously it's not the case yet, but I don't ever want it to get there either.
daggerbob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Anyone else having some difficulties voting? When I go to vote all I see is the question and cast my vote, yet there are no choices to choose from.

I am having the same problem with the poll. There are no radio buttons to make a choice. All there is are the question and the "Cast Your Vote!" button. Is the poll possibly broken?
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Anyone else having some difficulties voting? When I go to vote all I see is the question and cast my vote, yet there are no choices to choose from.

I get the same thing.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:

I get the same thing.

I'm thirding this. No poll options open up for me, either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4