• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-16]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overlord_mordax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Assuming what you are claiming about alternate universes is true, could it be possible that all the alternate unvierses were manifestations of your own creations? That your ideas were the equivalent of what you say to be a manga author bringing forth an entire universe from his imagination, and the entire concept of the existence of alternate universes and authors bringing about new universes from their creations came about because you desired it to be such?

Its possible, though like I said, I (and other authors) don't believe I bring anything into creation, merely detail things that already exist.

(this has to be my last post for the evening because I have a prior engagemnt, but I'll probably be back tomorrow if anyone is still interested)
Zanafarr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Good answer. Thank you.
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Now, I know you aren't even going to bothing listening to be, but I'm going to talk anyway.

You know what pisses me off? People who just randomly decide that Otakukin are crazy. ESSPECIALLY Otherkin who descide that Otakukin are crazy. Pot calling kettle, okay? I completely and utterly fail to see why believing you possess the spirit of an anime charcter is any more out there than believing you are a dragon, or believing in the christian god. Okay? None of them make that much sense.

I believe that I am Haruka Kyougokuin, also known as Grinbitch. I believe that there are an infinate number of alternate worlds/realities wherein everything happens. Every possibility is explored. There are worlds with Sailor Moon. There are even worlds like this one, except nobody mocks otakukin. (Far fecthed I know, but it has to happen somewhere) And I believe that sometimes souls can cross the barrier, resulting in reincarnations of lolis and shotas and whatnot. The only difference betwen otherkin and otakukin is that the storeis Otherkin come from are a bit older.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:
I believe that I am Haruka Kyougokuin, also known as Grinbitch.

I believe that you are Copy Pasta, also known as Troll.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Not everyone who mocks the Otakukin believes in religion. I agree entirely that believing in God is irrational and baseless. However, that doesn't make otakukinism any less idiotic. Thats like saying that because apples are red oranges aren't orange. You can't state one thing to disprove the other. Granted you can make certain people look like hypocrites but just because you're making a double standard doesn't make the point you're arguing from any more factually correct.

And due to the fact that anime characters are material created and owned by certain individuals makes it considerably more ridiculous than believing in God. Not that I endorse the idea of a man in white robes with a flowing beard that sits in the clouds but there was something at the very base of the existence of the universe that defies the logic with which we define our world. And yes, this even applies to alternate universe theory because something had to create the first universe.

I don't agree, per se, with the connotation that people are obviously using the word crazy in (as a substitute for mentally ill) but it is irrational and stupid to think you're a reborn anime character. I say this from the standpoint however of it being a mental flaw that doesn't need to be fixed but should. Similar to having a crooked picture hanging on the wall or a funny rattling in your car's engine. It's not threatening anyone or anything but it isn't normal. Take that how you will (and likely be offended because I do that lots with my analogies) but thats what i see this situation as.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:
Now, I know you aren't even going to bothing listening to be, but I'm going to talk anyway...

Oh ho, why not copypasta ourselves?

overlord_mordax wrote:
Some Otakukin do think that writers got something 'wrong', I can't answer for them. When there is conflict between my memories and the digimon show, I believe it is simply because the world they were detailing was slightly different from the one I existed in.

What if the reason it differs is because they aren't your memories, but an elaborate fantasy you have convinced yourself is real? You are probably (definitely) not the only person to have had an anime dream. When did you decide that these were more than just dreams? How did it go from, "Well that was a weird dream..." to "Oh my gosh! I must be this character!" Also, I'm interested to know if you decided you were this character before you knew of the Otakukin, or if you only decided you were afterwards?

Was/is your favorite character from Digimon this character? If so, couldn’t it be possible that since you liked him, you began to identify strongly with him, and, over time, developed these beliefs?

Also, someone asked something interesting a few pages back. If you are from a dub variant universe, they why do you say you were the Digimon Kaiser? It was the Digimon Emperor in the dub, right?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
yes, for the record I did say I didn't care before. But now after much thought i'm curious

Major props overlord_mordax for answering questions.

Reading the last few pages has really given me a better understanding of this whole thing. When i thought about the subject more i figured there must be alternatie realities.

It reminds me of the film What the Bleep do we know?
And it brings me to my own question:

Could it be that instead of existing in a different reality/ time and it being a past life couldn't you just be seeing the events of another reality?

There was a movie about that but I can't think of what it is. I'm havin trouble getting my words together so I hope that came across well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
A few people have been comparing "Otakukinism" to established religions. Some have even been debating the comparison.

These are the key differences between the two. The differences as I see them are:

Most established religions are based on the words & writings of a limited number of people who claim to have had first hand experience with supernatural beings in this existence. For example, Moses claimed that God spoke to him and told him what to do. The followers and adherents of these religions then accept, as faith, the claims of these "prophets" despite the fact that they have no first hand experience with the supernatural beings (Quakers are something of an exception here, but the quakers' experience of feeling the presence of God is not akin to being the messenger of God.)

Otakukinism is however based on the words and writings of people who believe that they are creating fiction and make no claim that any of what their writing is real, in fact they claim just the opposite. It is the adherents to the belief that add the aspect of faith to the equation. Furthermore, each one of the adherents claims his/her own story, making them a part of it. The belief is self-centered because it revolves around the belief that the story is about the believer (whereas the established religions believe that the story is about the supernatural being and others.)

Established religions, including animalism, tribalist religions and similar religions, pay respects to and worship otherwise superior or special beings. Otakukin revere only themselves, or more accurately their past selves.

Established religions have a set of guidelines about how one should live. Morals, for example Judaism has the ten commandments, Christianity has the beattitudes, etc.. Otakukinism has no such guidelines because there is nothing in the belief that one was a particular "fictional" character that leads one to believe their life should be lived a particular way. At most, some Otakukin will believe that they should live a life worthy of their prior self, but this is an individual choice, not a guideline about how to live right.

Established religions, again including animalism and tribal religions, offer a sort of creation story. Religions find part their origins in the need to explain what can not be understood, Otakukinism does not offer any explanation of the origin of the universe other than to state that their is more than one reality.

The non-moral/ethical/guideline beliefs of established religions are used to explain the reality around the believers. For example, Judaic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) believe that the universe exists because a supernatural being created it, Romans and Greeks believed that the Sun moves in the sky because it is the flaming wheel of a godly chariot, etc...). On the other hand, Otakukin have a belief that they try to explain with more beliefs. They aren't interested in explaining "this reality."

To sum it up, religions exist to explain existence and to provide guidance. Otakukinism exists to provide support for various "fantasies" (be they real or not).

Otakukinism is not a religion.

My position: I respect the right of anyone to hold whatever belief they want. I respect the right of Otakukin to believe that they are the re-incarnations of fictional characters. But while I respect their right to believe, I don't respect their beliefs. Their beliefs are fantasy, they are no different from my nephew's belief in Santa Claus, and my Ex-Girlfriend's belief that I still love her, childish in some cases, delusional in others.

Overlord_mordax, as I said, I respect your right to believe whatever you want. Your beliefs don't harm me or anyone else, they aren't very offensive (I find it somewhat offensive that Otakin sometimes rob creators of the credit they deserve for being able to create a good story, lowering them to the mere status of people who recount and perhaps embellish tales (yes I read this). As an individual, I respect your ability to express your beliefs and offer somewhat reasonable possibilities as explanations, without turning into the blithering idiot that many people would in the face of such adverse criticism and disbelief.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
10円

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I love crazy people. No, really, I do

However, letting delusional people believe whatever they want does a disservice to both them and us. People who are allowed to remain in their own fantasy world can end up harming the rest of us when they are eventually able to attain positions of any power. Most of the scientific community has continued to withhold criticism of those who express delusional views of the world even when the scientific evidence is known to contradict such views. This unnecessary restraint has allowed crazy people to hold views that convince them that it's okay to continue all sorts of harmful activity and has held back important advances in family planning and care for the ill. It's tempting to just say that we should all strive to allow each other to believe whatever we want, but the truth is that being too forgiving of crazy views can actually come back to harm us all in the end.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, one comment regarding all the people who once again proved Godwin's Law.

Nazi's will oppress or even kill you for your different beliefs. Zac merely belittles you. There is no comparison.

As for the racism comment, Otakukin aren't a race. Blacks are a race, Arabs are a race, Chinese are a race, Otakukin are a group of people with similar beliefs. You don't necessarily deserve to be belittled or the subject of prejudice, but Otakukin are no more entitled to protection from such belittlement than any other group of people who share a non-religious belief.

Active prejudice is another matter entirely. Although laws vary from state(state meaning country, not subdivision of the USA) to state, no person should be oppressed or persecuted in any way for any belief, religious or otherwise. Their actions are another matter entirely.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
This unnecessary restraint has allowed crazy people to hold views that convince them that it's okay to continue all sorts of harmful activity and has held back important advances in family planning and care for the ill. It's tempting to just say that we should all strive to allow each other to believe whatever we want, but the truth is that being too forgiving of crazy views can actually come back to harm us all in the end.

There's an essential difference between respecting a right to believe, and allowing irrational beliefs to have any bearing on quality of life.

In theory, secular law should protect us from the type of problems that you refer to. Unfortunately society and law are not truly secular.

As an individuals and a society, I think we should respect the right believe as long as the beliefs do not interfere with the lives of others who do not share those beliefs. In essence, "Your rights end where mine begin."

I do agree you that we are in a sorry state due to the act that we let some people dictate our lives based on their beliefs.

-t
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
I didn't bother reading all 26 pages, so the rest of my post has been removed in accordance with the Announcement that says "Before you Post, Read the Thread"!
~Zalis
10円

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
There's an essential difference between respecting a right to believe, and allowing irrational beliefs to have any bearing on quality of life. In theory, secular law should protect us from the type of problems that you refer to. Unfortunately society and law are not truly secular. -t

Secular law is currently under attack where I live and it's something that has me concerned. There was a time when I was convinced that my country was capable of preventing crazy people from obtaining too much power, but as it turned out I was extremely naïve and my own country is just as susceptible to illogical perversion as any other.

tempest wrote:
Oh, one comment regarding all the people who once again proved Gowin's Law.

I believe you're actually referring to Godwin's Law. However, I have no illusions that there is any connection between the discussion at hand and Hitler or the Nazis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Last edited by 10円 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
did anyone actually come in and start talking about their Otaku-kin (never heard that before to be honest) beliefs or to defend Luna Starbright, who I admit, thought of Rainbow Brite and MLP immediately.

Yep, the gal who posts as "overlord_mordax" has posted quite a few posts on her beliefs that she's the reincarnation of a Digimon character. They're....interesting, to say the least. They actually stirred me to head over to Wikipedia to read up on scientific thought on multiverses and all that fun stuff. Several of her posts are on the last couple pages of the thread, check 'em out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
I didn't bother reading all 26 pages, but I have to say, this quote is awesome and to the point.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30653
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 29