• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Oreimo on DVD in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
JuicyB wrote:
The show was ok, but I dunno if I'd buy it. It had the bitchiest, most unlikeable female lead since Haruhi, and the main character was such a soggy, pustulent doormat that I found it impossible to sympathize with him.

Actually as a big brother myself, I found him quite relate-able, with Kirino one of the more believable takes on a little sister I've seen. Little sisters are aggravating, and can push your buttons to madness easily, but you'll still bend over backwards for them when needed. Actually felt like it wasn't written by a wishful only child like all the others.

I actually have two little sisters. Sure, I would help them out of a tight spot anytime, but there's no way I would let them get away with that kind of treatment. There's a difference between pushing your buttons and being a complete self-centered, narcissistic bitch 24/7. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Are you Japanese?
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Only 1 question remains... How much will this cost? Confused

http://aniplexusa.com/oreimo/

MSRP: $74.99
Store price: $59.99

That's $74.99 more than anyone should pay for it. Death to Kirino.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Fanservice always looks better in 1080p,

That's why we have Skinemax on full blast 120-inch projection! Laughing
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh Aniplex USA, Shut up and take my money! Anime hyper

Even though I haven't seen this one (anime version), I've read some in manga version and it was very interesting.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
The show was ok, but I dunno if I'd buy it. It had the bitchiest, most unlikeable female lead since Haruhi, and the main character was such a soggy, pustulent doormat that I found it impossible to sympathize with him.

This, I don't understand how characters like Haruhi and Kirino get popular. I just got tired of everyone bending over backwards just to please her. This is the only show I can say would be improved by having an incestuous relationship.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
JuicyB wrote:

This, I don't understand how characters like Haruhi and Kirino get popular. I just got tired of everyone bending over backwards just to please her. This is the only show I can say would be improved by having an incestuous relationship.

Haruhi and Kirino a popular indeed, but in both shows, the secondary heroines have as many, if not more fans. Take Nagato and Kuroneko, for example. Pretty low-profile girls, who look more appealing when pitted against the female protagonists, both obnoxious and "bitchy".

At any rate, while I'm disappointed they are not releasing Oreimo in Blu-ray. I will be buying it as a fan of the show. I don't mind that it's sub-only, either.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:

Haruhi and Kirino a popular indeed, but in both shows, the secondary heroines have as many, if not more fans. Take Nagato and Kuroneko, for example. Pretty low-profile girls, who look more appealing when pitted against the female protagonists, both obnoxious and "bitchy".

At any rate, while I'm disappointed they are not releasing Oreimo in Blu-ray. I will be buying it as a fan of the show. I don't mind that it's sub-only, either.

A popular support character can't make up for having a female lead I want to punch in the face.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
A popular support character can't make up for having a female lead I want to punch in the face.
This.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
Sounds like Kirino is doing her job as the series' antagonist pretty well.
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Kohii wrote:

But they can still make the show watchable, or at least, a little more enjoyable to you. You rage when you see Kirino, then sigh for Kuroneko. lol.

Either way, ArsenicSteel is right. If you feel like punching Kirino, then she's done her job. I, personally, prefer Kuroneko and Manami 100 times over Kirino, but I can admit that she's one helluva tsundere imouto. Tsun for most the show but there was that one episode were she was dere, which was pretty sweet and annoying at the same time, for some reason.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
Not to single you out, Matriel, just wanted to address the whole DVD/HD/Blu-Ray issue here...

Matriel wrote:
Really? Surprised In my experience, this is what the difference between upscaled-DVD and Blu-ray looks like.

*several wallpaper images that have been through who knows what manipulations*
It'd be more helpful to show comparison images that are actually from upscaled DVD and Blu-Ray here...

Quote:
Anime is generally all about bold colors, high-contrast, and sharp, well-defined lines. Oreimo fits this as well. This means that flaws in the image are easier to pick out because there isn't as much color information for our brains to work through. (color gradients) It won't matter if it's high action or a slow moving drama or comedy, artifacts and other flaws are just more apparent.
I always thought it was more about pans over still shots, mostly-static talking heads scenes, and a bunch of irrelevant background details that only matter to people scrutinizing screenshots, like wood grain, roof tiles, and individual blades of grass. And for the most part, that describes OreImo pretty well. The show looked fine enough to me in an XviD-encoded, 400p downscale from TV transport streams. Until Western fans are ready to pay Japanese prices, we'll probably see a lot more of these HD shows released DVD-only to stave off reverse importation. Besides, from what I've heard out of the ripping scene, the JP Blu-Ray release had all kinds of screwed-up encoding anyway. Do we really want a subtitled port of that over here?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
aniplex wants to be the new jokers in town?
if they don't release this on bluray I won't be buying it
though I do have a few oreimo figures on order
the good news is that puella magica should be coming to bluray
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
YYYYYEEEESSSS!!!! Very Happy Aniplex USA can you not get any better?

This is great news. I wasn't the hugest fan of the show, but I'm really glad it's coming over here finally on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nx6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:04 am Reply with quote
Twelve eps on two DVDs?

Kinda crowding them there for a first release aren't we? That's the sort of stuff I'm used to seeing on lower-price Veridian boxsets.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
It was definitely a fun show, but I can wait for the BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6