• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Oreimo on DVD in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:

And, what's this I'm seeing about Usagi Drop? What is wrong with that show? I've never once had any inclination of what I think Terrier's referring to at all! It is a wonderful, heart-warming show, and has nothing to do with any of that.

Why would you just automatically assume it's about that, have you even watched it yet?

It most likely was said, because he was probably one of the unfortunate many that got blind-sided by the spoiler of how the manga ends that's been floating around here.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I'd love to test that out, because I don't think you would be able to. Remember, I'm not talking about a side by side comparison. I'm talking about sitting down in a chair, looking at a screen and then telling me if what you are seeing is an upscale or a BD. I put my Oh! Edo Rocket DVD into a BD player and watched on a 1080p HDTV and it looked fantastic. I defy anybody to come in and tell me whether it was a DVD or a BD they were watching.

You're saying you don't believe anyone can tell the difference between a non-upscaled BD and a player upscaled DVD unless if they're compared side by side. That's a ridiculous and extremely presumptuous statement. Maybe you can't tell, but if no one could tell the difference, why would anyone even care about HDTV?

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I'd love to test that out, because I don't think you would be able to. Remember, I'm not talking about a side by side comparison. I'm talking about sitting down in a chair, looking at a screen and then telling me if what you are seeing is an upscale or a BD. I put my Oh! Edo Rocket DVD into a BD player and watched on a 1080p HDTV and it looked fantastic. I defy anybody to come in and tell me whether it was a DVD or a BD they were watching.

You're saying you don't think anyone can tell the difference between BD and DVD unless if they're compared side by side. That's a ridiculous and extremely presumptuous statement. Maybe you can't tell, but if no one could tell the difference, why would anyone even care about HDTV?

*coughMeidaHypecough*
Regardless, I do believe there is a difference in Blu-Ray verses DVDs, it's just there are only certain types of people (videophiles) who let it shape their viewing experience. I don't care if I can see Batman fighting in a tiny bit more detail, what I got is fine for me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

You're saying you don't believe anyone can tell the difference between a non-upscaled BD and a player upscaled DVD unless if they're compared side by side. That's a ridiculous and extremely presumptuous statement. Maybe you can't tell, but if no one could tell the difference, why would anyone even care about HDTV?

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't you need the HDTV to show an upscaled DVD? I mean, a standard composite RCA connector isn't going to do much of any good to show an upscale, so you'll need either component or HDMI to actually display the upscaled DVD (and preferably with a TV that can turn on Progressive Scan) which pretty much means that you'll need an HDTV.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

*coughMeidaHypecough*
Regardless, I do believe there is a difference in Blu-Ray verses DVDs, it's just there are only certain types of people (videophiles) who let it shape their viewing experience. I don't care if I can see Batman fighting in a tiny bit more detail, what I got is fine for me.

That's right, only videophiles and suckers who've fallen for the hype care about any difference between Blu-ray and DVD. How could I not have seen the light as you have? Time to dig out those VHS tapes and finally have a viewing experience unadultered by hype or misplaced priorties.

Megiddo wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't you need the HDTV to show an upscaled DVD?

The difference between watching a DVD at 480p and upscaled to 1080p is far smaller than the difference between an upscaled DVD and a BD with non-upscaled content on it. I would hope no one would argue that all the money spent on the development of HD video was worth it just to upscale SD content, but pointless for actual HD content. If that was all they were going to do with it, they shouldn't have bothered.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

*coughMeidaHypecough*

That's right, only videophiles and suckers who've fallen for the hype care about any difference between Blu-ray and DVD. How could I not have seen the light as you have? Time to dig out those VHS tapes and finally have a viewing experience unadultered by hype or misplaced priorties.

Whatever. I honestly don't care about the quality between Blu-Ray or DVD, I might be in the minority, and I'm fine with that. I get to pay less for something that I don't notice much of a difference in even on an HDTV. And I don't see DVDs evaporating into the ether anytime soon, and the two formats will probably continue to be released together, one for people like me, and one for people who care about the difference.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

And, what's this I'm seeing about Usagi Drop? What is wrong with that show? I've never once had any inclination of what I think Terrier's referring to at all! It is a wonderful, heart-warming show, and has nothing to do with any of that.

Why would you just automatically assume it's about that, have you even watched it yet?

It most likely was said, because he was probably one of the unfortunate many that got blind-sided by the spoiler of how the manga ends that's been floating around here.

I was, unfortunately as you have said. I honestly never saw it coming or actually thought it would be like that, even though I've been reading manga for several years.

So yes, The Coffee God is entirely correct and I was indeed blindsided by the spoiler.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Yeah, people really need to learn to spoiler tag things. Someone spoiled it for me here too.

I mean, after the season preview I guessed what the ending would be, and I guessed right, but... still, didn't want it spoiled that way.

Last edited by xBTAx on Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
To be fair, the show is only going to be 11 episodes. I really doubt they'll get through 9-10 vols of content within that span. I'd imagine it'll end spoiler[before the time skip].
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Yeah, people really need to learn to spoiler tag things. Someone spoiled it for me here too.

I mean, after the season preview I guessed what the ending would be, and I guessed right, but... still, didn't want it spoiled that way.

Actually, the initial post I read did have a spoiler tag and to be fair, I was the one who highlighted the spoiler message. Since it was high lighted, it's really no one's fault.

It's when a spoiler isn't tagged and you can clearly see it is when that might be an issue.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:02 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
xBTAx wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Actually, the initial post I read did have a spoiler tag and to be fair, I was the one who highlighted the spoiler message. Since it was high lighted, it's really no one's fault.

It's when a spoiler isn't tagged and you can clearly see it is when that might be an issue.

In my case someone had made a very vague joke, and then someone replied saying how it was a nice Bunny Drop reference, and... yeah.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Why is it such a ridiculous and presumptuous statement? It's based on what I've seen with my own eyes, which when I have my contacts in, is 20/20 vision. But yeah, I know I'm wasting my breath with somebody like you. It would take doing my experiment to show you that you are full of it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
...it's just there are only certain types of people (videophiles) who let it shape their viewing experience.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. As a computer programmer for well over 30 years, the computer industry's change from CRT to LCD sparked our "HD" revolution.

Many people, myself included, instantly noticed the clarity, which reduced eyestrain and headaches. For someone to tell me they can't tell the difference is not telling the truth. Either that, or they've really bad eyesight.

Here's a test anyone can do to show the differences:
Look closely at your avatar. Now, change the resolution of your monitor to 800x600. Your avatar will now appear blurry but still have crisp lines.

Now flip your resolution back (or set it higher). The image is still crisp, but looks more in focus, right?

Now, copy the image into Paint, Photoshop, or any other image software. Stretch it out. Right off the bat, the image is distorted and this physically destroys the image. No amount of resolution will fix this problem.

When making it smaller, the image will be corrupted as loss is incurred.

Now, if anyone here wants to defy me to say I can't tell the difference, let's put up some wagering material because you will lose the bet.

Anime on BD is a gamble purchase for me because none of us are told the native resolution scale. For most 720 to 1080 upscale, the changes would be small (but not impossible to spot). Again, because the image is physically damaged.

Anime at 480 to 1080 would be so noticeable, you'd be foolish to convince anyone there isn't a noticeable change (mostly for the worst).

At any rate, begging the anime industry to deliver "BD" is only feasible if the native is 720 (or thereabouts) or better. Asking for BD of anything less is a waste of money.

720 is a defined resolution under High Definition and it has always bugged the hell out of me this industry purposely ruins the content for 1080p. They should leave the 720 alone and upscale only the 480 to 720 (and no higher).

Imagine for a second what it would be like to get an entire series on one disk.

Until the industry quits purposely ruining the image, I will not buy a BD because I can see the problems upscaling does. It's downright insulting to think these issues would not propagate themselves to BD no matter how good the software is to do it.

As for the topic at hand... not sure if I'll by the DVD or not. I watched it here on ANN and while it was a good show, it just didn't scream "rewatch".
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Why is it such a ridiculous and presumptuous statement? It's based on what I've seen with my own eyes, which when I have my contacts in, is 20/20 vision. But yeah, I know I'm wasting my breath with somebody like you. It would take doing my experiment to show you that you are full of it.

Because you're defining your abilities as the end all and be all of human ability and acting as if anything more than that is akin to claiming to have superhuman ability. If that's not being presumptuous, I don't know what is. Because if you can't tell the difference between upscaled SD and HD, no one else can. You are basically saying that anyone who thinks they can tell the difference is either a liar or a fool. No, that's not being presumptuous at all.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice extras, but not worth the price since its subbed only subbed only DVDs shouldn't be over $30 ($40 for Blurays) imo since it don't take much time and effort to sub a series than to dub. If it was dubbed with these extras I would jump at the chance to buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6