• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideaki Anno Releases Statement About New Evangelion Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nexus5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:27 am Reply with quote
Dude where is this article? I want to read it.

Also i'm curious after reading a previous post about an article over the debate of the ending of the movie. Umm what was it about and where can I find that?

Thanks
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Was that a joke? He's gotta go with Shiro Sagisu, same as he did for Evangelion. His music was great, nearly classic.

I'd like to see Shiro Sagisu come back and do what he did with the marvel that is the EoE musical score, but it's not completely needed for my tastes. I'd like to see Keishi Urata work on it since I loved what he did in Akira, Jin-Roh: The Brigade, Noiseman Sound Insect, Texhnolyze, and Wolf's Rain. Or even better yet, Hajime Mizoguchi, who also worked on Jin-Roh: The Brigade, Texhnolyze, and both the Escaflowne series and movie. Just from what little I've heard he seems to be one of the most versatile ones for crafting music in anime.

Don't discount some of the others too. Michiru Oshima did great on ICO and Fullmetal Alchemist. I haven't heard any of him his anime credits but I love the music Kô Ôtani did for "Shadow of the Colossus". And recently my favorite composer, by far, has been Naoki Sato for Eureka seveN.

But don't forget the classics, like Nobuo Uematsu. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Quote:
They're only "homages" when they emulate someone else's work, not when they copy the same scene.

They're little nods to previous works, fer Chrissakes. Rip-offs have little to no direction from a prior work. You're twisting around the definition because you just can't stand anything that Anno has made, not to mention Gainax, outside of Gunbuster, which is a freakin' parody of stereotypes itself.

What I'm saying is that just about every creator of fiction is inspired by something and their works share something of a simiarlity to others. Are we going to say that Orson Welles is a hack because he made Citizen Kane to take a stab at William Randolph Hearst, not to mention he was tackling a topic that was about a decade or so past its prime? How about finding fault we recent ventures such as Spirited Away and Pan's Labrynith for taking the basic concept that was created in Alice in Wonderland? And these (melo)dramas that we see in just about every single medium of fiction? Shakespeare capitalized on those centuries ago, and they've been around long before that. And it's not like we've never seen Faust reincarnated before..

Wells spent most of his career trying to live up to Citizen Kane which some fans felt he never bested. While he made other worthy titles, there was still that segment (including certain movie critics) that put Kane on such a pedestal, nothing could touch it.

Homage vs plagerism can be a difficult call. Parody is obvious because the humor usually sets up so one expects the punchline. Homage usually has a certain amount of respect while rip-off will incorporate it into one's works-pass it off as one's own. It's well known Oda respects & knows Toriyama. If a Kamehameha showed up in One Piece, I don't think it'd be plagerism-more likely a nod to Toriyama

HellKorn wrote:

CCSYueh wrote:
But I saw Bebop from the middle & liked it.
I saw Outlaw Star from the middle & liked it.
Specifically on Lord of the Rings, I red the volume where Gandalf (Two Towers?)comes back before reading his death(Fellowship?) Loved it anyway.

Those examples do not encompass every single piece of fiction. Don't apply your method to all stories, because it isn't going to work that way.

Quote:
Yet all the Eva fans tell me I'm wrong. I need to watch EVERY EPISODE, get all annoyed at all of Anno's BIG STATEMENTS & then I can say it sucks.

Do my posts just get skipped over with you or something?

Geez, rage, rage, rage, rage, rage, Anno sucks, NGE sucks, all NGE fans suck, yadda, yadda... I don't know if the hardcore "NGE is #1" fanatics or the loud bashers of the franchise are worse.

So you say the same mode of measurement that I've used on everything else for over 40 yrs to judge whether I like it or not does not apply. I cannot judge Eva until I see all of it

If you followed my posts, you'd know I started out protesting the arrogance of Anno's statement. (If Eva is THE only anime title of ANY worth in the last 12 yrs, all others have been a waste of time & precious resources) It was Eva fans who insisted my "sampling" the title by watching Death & Rebirth is no way to decide whether I like the title. And even you seem to say my taste & sampling methods which have lead to a personal anime collection of about 1900 dvds including titles like 12 Kingdoms, Sailor Moon, & Paranoia Agent is wrong. I cannot apply the same criteria for judging Cowboy Bebop ot Lord of the Rings to Eva. Because I've stated pretty much every post I don't like pompous, bloated, pretentious "LOOK AT MY BIG STATEMENT" so Eva is obviously a title I'm not going to get past the window dressing on. Forget titles like Boogiepop Phantom which I enjoy which deliberately unfold the story out of order.
I watch movies/anime looking for clues-it's what I love about Clamp-that if one is paying attention they drop loads of clues to the eventual outcome such as all the clues they put in that Yukito was more than he seemed. Yeah, I tend to find way more clues than ever pan out-many storytellers can't wrap a title that tight. (I was hoping that choker Ryu always wore in Tokyo Mew Mew meant SOMETHING-even the old yellow ribbon folktale, but it was apparently just a fashion statement) 6th Sense is probably the last title I didn't pick up on the big secret & that's because my late husband was a horrible tease-the kind to scare one during scary movies so I had to keep one eye out for him grabbing me at the tense moments after he did it during the first ghost segment.. And because I like these kinds of puzzle stories, my teen also is very good at figuring out the ending,

Again, my original point is Anno's basically telling all of us who like other titles we're ignorant fools because Eva is THE only anime that's been made in 12 yrs. The rest is crap.
On the other hand he is also saying he has done crap in the last 12 yrs except for anything he's done involving Eva (including his Kare Kano) since Eva is the only thing that's counted in the last 12 yrs.

Ego is one thing. One expects entertainment figures to have confidence. But when an entertainer makes a statement that there have been no other actors/directors/writers, etc in the last 12 yrs beyond him/herself, most here would say "What an arrogant prick" & refuse to work with him. I wouldn't. No one is worthy, let hiim work with himself. Most have the intelligence to complement one's co-workers & crew, but he's basically insulted everyone.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
At the very least, a significant amount of flashbacks.

Flashbacks? This is a recreation.

Quote:
But regardless, the point is that he's already ripped off fans with the minimal amount of footage contained in his re-releases of the original series.

Yeah, it's not like any company has ever attempted any practice like that before. How dare a popular franchise be used to make money!

Quote:
Evangelion was supposed to have the occasional spin-off, but
not a sequel like FF7.

And Eva doesn't have a sequel. Again, it is a recreation. It is a re-envisioning of the original story.

Also, there is new footage. Unlike the trilogy remake of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, THERE IS NO RECYCLED FOOTAGE. How Gundam gets a pass while Eva is subjected to "HATE, RAGE, SLANDER!" is beyond me.

Quote:
If the gun was sold to a person who had a sketchy criminal or mental background, then it's definitely the company's fault.

Oh come on. The company didn't sell the gun directly to the person. They supply it, and then it's out of their hands. You're twisting around the analogy.

Quote:
Your response to my comment is just as subjective.

Obviously. And I won't bother with the "no story" comment since you aren't gonna budge your view there at all.

Quote:
I don't see why it wasn't fitting, considering that it was still the Great Depression when Kane was released.

But those stories taking a peek at the life of the "rich and famous" weren't "the thing" to write about during the Great Depression when it comes to U.S. literature and films. I'd sooner expect a Steinbeck title to represent that era that point to Citizen Kane to epitomize the favored and popular stories during that time.

... That's all besides the point, though, and since ANN doesn't have a section to discuss such topics, another time, I suppose.

RogueJedi86 wrote:

Hn, she also did Le Chevalier D'Eon and Magic User's Club in addition to Fullmetal Alchemist. Impressive.

Quote:

Yanno, I could see him being brought back to work on the upcoming movies id Sagisu isn't available.

CCSYueh wrote:
Wells spent most of his career trying to live up to Citizen Kane which some fans felt he never bested. While he made other worthy titles, there was still that segment (including certain movie critics) that put Kane on such a pedestal, nothing could touch it.

Considering it seems that it's the favorite title to label as "The Best Movie Ever Created," I can't say I'm too surprised.

Quote:
Homage vs plagerism can be a difficult call. Parody is obvious because the humor usually sets up so one expects the punchline. Homage usually has a certain amount of respect while rip-off will incorporate it into one's works-pass it off as one's own. It's well known Oda respects & knows Toriyama. If a Kamehameha showed up in One Piece, I don't think it'd be plagerism-more likely a nod to Toriyama

It's similar to the case with those proclaiming Evangelion is a rip-off of Ideon. Anno has cited that and other Tomino-created anime as being the biggest source of inspiration for him, so it's not a surprise to see superficial similarities. The same can be said for those saying that RahXephon, Eureka Seven, etc. are rip-offs of Evangelion. It's simply those who hate something wanting to go to greater lengths to bash it.

Quote:
So you say the same mode of measurement that I've used on everything else for over 40 yrs to judge whether I like it or not does not apply. I cannot judge Eva until I see all of it

Wait, wha'? When did I say that?

Me on page five. wrote:
Now, if you were to say, watch the first few episodes of Evangelion and not like it, great, that's your opinion, proud of ya for it. But to base your judgment of an entire body of work on what is basically a handout only to those already familiar with it is foolish.

If you go ahead and watch the opening episodes and still hate it, I'm fine with that, obviously.

Quote:
If you followed my posts, you'd know I started out protesting the arrogance of Anno's statement. (If Eva is THE only anime title of ANY worth in the last 12 yrs, all others have been a waste of time & precious resources)

Fair enough, and I share similar sentiments.

Quote:
It was Eva fans who insisted my "sampling" the title by watching Death & Rebirth is no way to decide whether I like the title. And even you seem to say my taste & sampling methods which have lead to a personal anime collection of about 1900 dvds including titles like 12 Kingdoms, Sailor Moon, & Paranoia Agent is wrong. I cannot apply the same criteria for judging Cowboy Bebop ot Lord of the Rings to Eva. Because I've stated pretty much every post I don't like pompous, bloated, pretentious "LOOK AT MY BIG STATEMENT" so Eva is obviously a title I'm not going to get past the window dressing on.

I would hope that you aren't telling me that you've jumped into the middle of just about every single story that you've seen and read. I wouldn't think so, and while it can work for some (Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo, Mushishi, etc.) most stories are created because the writer/director wants to you watch them all instead of sitting down to catch a random chapter/episode. Again, basing your impressions on Eva with having watched the first episodes brings more validity to your case versus something that is only meant for those who've already seen the entire series.

Quote:
Forget titles like Boogiepop Phantom which I enjoy which deliberately unfold the story out of order.

Titles like Boogiepop Phantom are inexplicably rare. The series is created in an unorthodox manner because it better serves itself by telling itself in a non-chronological manner, and not just for the purpose of a gimmick like the recent The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hellkorn:
Quote:
Flashbacks? This is a recreation.

You honestly believe that Anno won't use footage from the original series to sell the new films?

Quote:
Yeah, it's not like any company has ever attempted any practice like that before.

He's done it without actually offering anything new, with the exception of a shinier package.

Quote:

And Eva doesn't have a sequel. Again, it is a recreation. It is a re-envisioning of the original story.

It's a re-telling of stories of key characters, which probably means it ties back into the original show.

Quote:
Unlike the trilogy remake of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, THERE IS NO RECYCLED FOOTAGE. How Gundam gets a pass while Eva is subjected to "HATE, RAGE, SLANDER!" is beyond me.

Tomino wasn't making money off of Gundam at the time he made the movies. He was hoping to cut his losses when he released summarized versions of the show..

Quote:
The company didn't sell the gun directly to the person. They supply it, and then it's out of their hands.

Yes, and that depleted uranium killing Iraqis is out of arms manufacturers hands, too, right?

Quote:
But those stories taking a peek at the life of the "rich and famous" weren't "the thing" to write about during the Great Depression when it comes to U.S. literature and films.

But that wasn't really the point of Kane. He wasn't truly rich(on the inside) or even well-known.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

You honestly believe that Anno won't use footage from the original series to sell the new films?

This is any different to Tomino incorperating TV footage in Zeta Gundam movies how? Tomino does have a big ego, but expressed differently, however you don't always notice these things if you don't get so caught up in faux-Anime director drama and enjoy the show on it's own merit (or subsequently don't enjoy them on it's merits, which you seem to do half the time, but hating it to spite or in spite of Anno is kind of stupid).

Quote:

He's done it without actually offering anything new, with the exception of a shinier package.

I'm assuming you're reffering to either Death or the Renewal/Platinum release. Death is meant to be a recap, and other series have done this before WITHOUT offering anything new. Renewal/Platinum is a god damn REMASTER and everyone does that. Evangelion may have caused controversy but it's getting basically the same damn treatment that any other popular Anime gets in Japan. So a lot of people buy it because it's so popular, big deal? So it gets several releases here and there? Once again, big deal.

Quote:

It's a re-telling of stories of key characters, which probably means it ties back into the original show.

That's a debate as to whether or not it ties in to Evangelion TV continuity, which is kind of inert since no one has seen the movies yet.

Quote:

Tomino wasn't making money off of Gundam at the time he made the movies. He was hoping to cut his losses when he released summarized versions of the show..

So? It's not like he doesn't make it off of it now. This is seriously apples and oranges here, Gatsu. If what you have a problem with is people making money by releasing a very popular series, then I suggest you just deal with it. Filmmakers, and people who get money, sometimes have big egos. This is nothing new.

Quote:

Yes, and that depleted uranium killing Iraqis is out of arms manufacturers hands, too, right?

Wrong way to take the analogy. A gun is made by a manufacturer, and then sold to a store which by all means, according to the law, must be then sold to a responsible, registered person (or so I am assuming). Not so much the case with Uranium. Regardless we're comparing the tools used to remove, take and disable human life to a popular cartoon series oh god I hate you all.

---

Point of the matter is that there are absolutely no new points being bought up here, simply the same vitrol from you, Gatsu, and a few newer people counterpointing you. Might be packaged a different way, but it's the same thing OVER and OVER again. Give it a break, will you?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

There's no reason to believe otherwise, not to mention using hand drawn cels to place on the method of digital animation for a movie? Unless you're suggesting that it's going to be in the style now gone and knocking off Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade for having the honor of being the last hand drawn anime movie, which is just plain... silly.

Quote:

If there's nothing to contradict the original, well, yeah, sure. But there's already mention of new characters, so it's in its own canon. The manga adaption by Sadamoto is in the same boat.

Quote:

Ugh, I'm not venturing into politics and relgion. I've already involved myself in too many debates both on and offline to care anymore. Just take what I was going for with the original comparison, Gatsu.

Quote:
But that wasn't really the point of Kane. He wasn't truly rich(on the inside) or even well-known.

Wait, wha'? His death in the movie caused a massive stir along with his infamous final words. And it was made to an obvious point that Kane was only rich in a superficial manner.

... I've exhausted all I can, and I don't think that there's really much to go on about from here, so I'm heading out for now.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Steve:
Quote:
This is any different to Tomino incorperating TV footage in Zeta Gundam movies how?

Gundam was intentionally left open-ended. So while any sequels to it might also be considered a cash-grab, at least Tomino's not trying to change what's been established.

Quote:
Tomino does have a big ego, but expressed differently, however you don't always notice these things if you don't get so caught up in faux-Anime director drama and enjoy the show on it's own merit (or subsequently don't enjoy them on it's merits, which you seem to do half the time, but hating it to spite or in spite of Anno is kind of stupid).

I don't notice it in Tomino, because unlike Anno, he incorporates coherent pseudo-science into his work.

Quote:
I'm assuming you're reffering to either Death or the Renewal/Platinum release. Death is meant to be a recap, and other series have done this before WITHOUT offering anything new.

True, but it was a re-cap meant to sell a new movie, and more merchandise.

Quote:
Renewal/Platinum is a god damn REMASTER and everyone does that.

They did it twice, and all they gave fans was a stupid t-shirt.

Quote:
If what you have a problem with is people making money by releasing a very popular series, then I suggest you just deal with it. Filmmakers, and people who get money, sometimes have big egos. This is nothing new.

I don't mind him making money. But he shouldn't be calling himself an "artist", when he's clearly just milking an unexpected phenomenon.

Quote:
A gun is made by a manufacturer, and then sold to a store which by all means, according to the law, must be then sold to a responsible, registered person (or so I am assuming). Not so much the case with Uranium.

The manufacturer makes the bullets with uranium shells.

]
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
Don't call me Steve, gatsu.

GATSU wrote:

Gundam was intentionally left open-ended. So while any sequels to it might also be considered a cash-grab, at least Tomino's not trying to change what's been established.

Care to back this up with any sources or interviews? The only reason Gundam, as far as I know, was left open-ended was because it really didn't do that well to begin with. If you've watched the Zeta movies, especially in the end, things that are established HAVE been changed, things that further retcon ZZ and Chars Counterattack.

Quote:

I don't notice it in Tomino, because unlike Anno, he incorporates coherent pseudo-science into his work.

Psuedo science is still Psuedo science and you're picking at short straws here. It's apples and oranges.

Quote:

True, but it was a re-cap meant to sell a new movie, and more merchandise.

Once again, this makes it bad how? Is this not the basis for just about every Anime movie based on a franchise?

Quote:

They did it twice, and all they gave fans was a stupid t-shirt.

Incorrect. I wont give ADV consideration for the moment because ultimatly, they are not concerned with the japanese market, because this film, so far, has not been bought for foreign release. The R2 release in Japan consists of a few boxsets for the original prints, a 10th anniversary boxset which is remastered, and an 8 disc/others single disc release for those (aswell as a DTS anamorphic End of Evangelion).

No t-shirts. They're seperate and totally a non-issue.

Quote:

I don't mind him making money. But he shouldn't be calling himself an "artist", when he's clearly just milking an unexpected phenomenon.

Except for the fact that he has gone to do other works (directing His and Her Circumstances, Gunbuster, etc) and actually does understand the medium in a far higher capacity than you could ever COMPREHEND. While Anime does work as a cannon for merchandise shilling and fan pandering, there is in quite a few cases an artistic element to it. Anno is simply part of that Artistic element. How are you so sure that this wasn't a Gainax/Bandai pitch, and if Anno didn't hop aboard, they wouldn't just get someone else to fill his place? From what I understand as far as merchandise go, unless the director/whatever is deeply, heavily involved (IE owns rights to it), they stand to gain very little in the way of royalties and whatever you're not going to listen faggot.

Quote:

The manufacturer makes the bullets with uranium shells.

So. What. Next what are you going to do, call some Hitler comparisons so this can all end in an awful "GODWIN THING" standoff?

I hate you, stop talking about Eva. It's one thing to not like it, it's another to be a total fag over it, but your ridiculous hair picking cynicism over it is a tired old tune seriously STOP POSTING.
dr. worm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
I thought I'd post here considering the subject matter, but this now seems to be just an exercise in trolling for Gatsu, and some lone people who actually are responding in good faith. Honestly Gatsu thinks he has something important to say about Eva even when it isn't the topic of the thread. It's not as if he is ever particularly knowledgeable or coherrent.

Anybody who thinks that having a character go berserk in anime is ripoff of another anime should get an education. Norse poetry (which also features berserkers from time to time predates anime by more than a thousand years, the term has also experienced a resurgence in popularity due to its usage among journalists covering the vietnam war.

Next we'll hear about how Neia_7 is just a ripoff of UY and how D'eon is just ripping off the whole prerevolutionary France thing off from Rose of Versialles, when everybody knows that that Rose of Versailles ripped it off from a Tale of Two Cities. Wink

The most disappointing thing about the recent upgrade is that we still don't have an ignore feature.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
Steve:
Quote:
Care to back this up with any sources or interviews? The only reason Gundam, as far as I know, was left open-ended was because it really didn't do that well to begin with.

If it wasn't an initial hit, then at least Tomino left open the possibility of doing something like Gundam in the future. His different projects in-between Gundams obviously indicates he had different stories to tell.

Quote:
If you've watched the Zeta movies, especially in the end, things that are established HAVE been changed, things that further retcon ZZ and Chars Counterattack.

Movies are usually different entities from the shows. Look at Macross: DYRL. EOE, however, was supposed to be the "real" continuation to the series, and now Anno's just acknowledging he doesn't really care about the story, just money from fans.

Quote:

Psuedo science is still Psuedo science and you're picking at short straws here. It's apples and oranges.

The pseudo-science in Gundam tries to use some realistic technology and scenarios. The pseudo-science in Evangelion just slaps some religious names on its gear, to make it look more professional.

Quote:
Once again, this makes it bad how? Is this not the basis for just about every Anime movie based on a franchise?

Not every anime movie. Look at Patlabor.

Quote:

No t-shirts. They're seperate and totally a non-issue.

ADV probably still had to get Gainax's permission for the tee.

Quote:
Except for the fact that he has gone to do other works (directing His and Her Circumstances, Gunbuster, etc) and actually does understand the medium in a far higher capacity than you could ever COMPREHEND.

I'm not sure how relying on in-jokes and cutting corners on actual animation by inserting real-life stills or videos is understanding the medium.

Quote:
How are you so sure that this wasn't a Gainax/Bandai pitch, and if Anno didn't hop aboard, they wouldn't just get someone else to fill his place?

I'm guessing because Anno probably owns Evangelion, or at least has a huge stake in it.

Quote:
From what I understand as far as merchandise go, unless the director/whatever is deeply, heavily involved (IE owns rights to it), they stand to gain very little in the way of royalties

That appears to have been the case with Nadia.

worm:
Quote:
Anybody who thinks that having a character go berserk in anime is ripoff of another anime should get an education.

Yes, but both Sho and Shinji, spoiler[knocked unconscious, have their respective mecha take over for them, and kill those close to them. ]

Quote:
Next we'll hear about how Neia_7 is just a ripoff of UY

I wouldn't say UY. The premise seems to share more similarities to GunM.

Quote:
how D'eon is just ripping off the whole prerevolutionary France thing off from Rose of Versialles,

Actually, the character designs feel borrowed from Berserk.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

If it wasn't an initial hit, then at least Tomino left open the possibility of doing something like Gundam in the future. His different projects in-between Gundams obviously indicates he had different stories to tell.

Or that he, I dunno, had to make money. I don't see how this makes him any less creativley bankrupt than Anno, since a lot of Tomino's stories in the 80's still had a very similar feel to them, only with slightly different settings (of course this changed over the 90s but still took him ages to get there).

Quote:
Movies are usually different entities from the shows. Look at Macross: DYRL. EOE, however, was supposed to be the "real" continuation to the series, and now Anno's just acknowledging he doesn't really care about the story, just money from fans.

And EoE WAS the real continuation of the series. This is a retelling. Zeta Gundam movies were a retelling. You're pulling hairs because Anno is doing something that quite a few other studios/people are doing (Fist of the North Star, maybe? Buronson didn't work on any non north star/blue star material, does that make him then creativley bankrupt? because that's basically what you're implying with Anno here), and since you have a bone to pick with Evangelion, this is somehow amazingly wrong.

I'm not going to reply to you. Don't reply to me. You're such an annoying, stubborn faggot and the less time you spend pulling bizzare and ridiculous half truths simply to take a stab at it and basically leave any thread alone, the better.
Amasa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
I would rather drink paint than have you guys continue on like this. Even debating civilized about this topic gets tiring, can't we all agree that we won't know what the films will be like before they're actually released. If you care so much to abuse someone else about the topic then we can at least all happily go together and watch the films one by one and then talk about them after we've seen them. Namedropping and trying to prove the you know more about the anime industry's growth and development than someone else will only encourage open hostility and that gross word 'faggot' to be used. I'm afraid personal opinions don't really count in this topic, even if I say that I love Anno and NGE and Gundam because blah blah blah... it won't really achieve much because there are certain people who oh what the heck.. there's not even any point.

p.s 100th post trying to restrain myself from slitting my throat after being offended by reading repetitive:
Quote:
Quote:
blah blah blah one-liner that says nothing productive blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Well actually faggot blah blah blah blah blah i hate you because you're so similar to me blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Steven:
Quote:
I don't see how this makes him any less creativley bankrupt than Anno, since a lot of Tomino's stories in the 80's still had a very similar feel to them, only with slightly different settings

Tomino doesn't try to turn everything into otaku fodder.

Quote:
And EoE WAS the real continuation of the series. This is a retelling. Zeta Gundam movies were a retelling. You're pulling hairs because Anno is doing something that quite a few other studios/people are doing

Quite a few others don't call something the end, and then say, "Oh wait, there was really more after all!"

Quote:
(Fist of the North Star, maybe? Buronson didn't work on any non north star/blue star material, does that make him then creativley bankrupt?

I guess you never heard of Sanctuary, Strain, or King of Wolves.
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Jariten wrote:
About the press release: It does sound like Anno is being rude, but quite honestly, a lot of press releases are written that way.

Well, Anno's Japanese style of the announcement does not particularly sound rude in the first place.
Jariten, when you translated a part of Miyazaki Gorô's diary, whose Japanese was not difficult, you tried to figure out the tone of a Japanese passage (and perhaps I shouldn't say so, but you failed not only in appreciating the tone of the Japanese passage but also in understanding the cognitive meaning of it).
tempest wrote:
This translation was provided by Evan Miller (Jariten).

カラッとした晴天の下で自転車に乗るのはとても気持ちよく、しばし緊張を忘れられました。 二人乗りの前に乗せられ、後ろから鈴木さんにあれやこれやと指示されていた武田さんはそうでもなかったようですが。
It felt truly wonderful to ride beneath that crisp, clear blue sky, and I briefly forgot how nervous I was. I rode ahead of the bike for two, and although Takeda was pointing out the scenery to Suzuki behind me, it felt as if I was there by myself beneath that beautiful sky*.
Translator’s notes:
1: I added “beneath that beautiful sky” since the tone of the original Japanese indicates that the author enjoyed riding alone and felt as if there was no one else there. Literally translated, however, it sounds a bit darker, as if he was left behind.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27025

And you seem to consider becoming a scholar of the Japanese language.
animenewsnetwork.com/staff.php
As I wrote on another thread, it is often difficult for foreign learners of Japanese to appreciate the 'feel' of Japanese discourse.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29599&start=45
If you venture to deal with matters related to the 'feel' of Japanese expressions when you read or translate pieces of Japanese discourse, I'd like to suggest to you that you should study Japanese stylistics harder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9