• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideaki Anno Releases Statement About New Evangelion Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Except the fact that most of it was just a way to patch things since they had no money left. I don't believe a single word of that two episodes.

Yeah man, they should've just not made the episodes instead since that makes so much more sense.

You should run Gainax.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
xanbcoo wrote:

Considering that the final 2 episodes, as well as most of the latter half of the series dealt entirely with Shinji coming to terms with his life, I'd be inclined to completely disregard this comment.

Except the fact that most of it was just a way to patch things since they had no money left. I don't believe a single word of that two episodes.

Result of a poor budget or not, the character development was there. And imo, it worked. The episodes did a nice recap of Shinji's dilemma (as well as a quick overview of a few other characters'), and then patched it up nice and optimistically at the end.

Most people complain that the last 2 episodes had no plot, and now I'm hearing they had no character development either?? Anime dazed
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
silly...silly Humans....

Just if you haven't noticed, EVA ( even full of plot holes and theoretical christian babble) was the biggest GAINAX market miracle ever!!! how many figures? games? dvd releases? pachinko? toys, cards, drinks, etc etc etc....

Even today Gainax has the EVA franchise as one of the pillars of funding other series, I remember way back in 1995 when I saw an interview with ANNO working on a "new series" that he didn't know how to start because he was too depressed trying to land a project and thats how EVA was born.

all these remakes shouldnt come as a surprise for all of you because THEY ARE MEANT TO MAKE MONEY....If you remake it...they will come.....

Gainax needs to keep EVA current, therefore they dont give a crap anymore if the story makes sense or not, for the one that say "They should give EVA a permanent rest...." Are you crazy.... Eva is selling!!! just like naruto is selling after a crapload tv episodes, these movies will give GAINAX a good cash flow and a revalidation of their merchandise...here comes new games, toys and souvenir of their "New Movie"

Anno over here is smart to say that he want to innovate and stuff because he has investments over these movies...if the story makes sense to you or not...is not his problem, his problem is...Are you gonna pay or not!!

We are not going to see the movie at the cinema, nor buy the R2 dvd when it comes out, heck, maybe we wont even buy the R1 when it comes out in USA, therefore "Anno doesnt care..." since we are not in his "cash flow target"

Make sense or not, we will see EVA until still there are people in japan willing to pay for it (and by the looks of it....they are!!)
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
ximpa:
Quote:
The problem with Gunbuster's ending is that is, as I said, a plot device. Showed poor planning IMO. THat ruined the whole ending for me, because I knew that all that happened afterwards wasn't "believable" but just another moment of "The Script Says So".

To be honest, it's been a decade or more since I last saw Gunbuster. And Anno's other work turned me off so much, that I might end up agreeing with you if I see it again. Nostalgia can be a bitch. Wink

xanb:
Quote:
Considering that the final 2 episodes, as well as most of the latter half of the series dealt entirely with Shinji coming to terms with his life, I'd be inclined to completely disregard this comment.

And I'd be inclined to disregard your comment, since choosing to be whipped isn't really a form of "coming to terms". At least the geek in Love Hina gets some action for it.

Quote:
Saying that a movie (or anime) has "no plot or character development" is probably the most overused and baseless "critique" out there.

Well these comments are usually used in response to media which have little substance in themselves. I mean, despite what the Sundance people would like you to believe, there's more to a work than quick-cutting camera angles and social dysfunctions.

Quote:
The episodes did a nice recap of Shinji's dilemma (as well as a quick overview of a few other characters'), and then patched it up nice and optimistically at the end.

Well, that's great if I was watching a sitcom, but I'm supposed to be watching a drama.

Joshua:
Quote:
It was the most influential anime of the last twenty years, no matter what anyone says. The fact that it's still being discussed today is further proof of that.

It's only being discussed, because its fans are desperate to prove it's still relevant.

Steve:
Quote:
Except Gunbuster does, considering it is, and according to the garbage-translated booklet included with the set, is a show made by fanboys, for fanboys, on a fanboy medium utilising devices in well... everything, from the Shoujo-esque sequences to the bloody Ghibli wallpapers in Noriko's, and the booklets "Oh, Gunbuster can overcome time and space inside the heart of all nerds because we are the golden children!" rhetoric... Wait, I can't finish this diatribe.

Like I said, it's been ages for me. I'm not even sure I can tolerate Anno enough to seriously defend the OVA anymore. He's a one-hit wonder whose only legacy is borrowing from better anime.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but I don't agree. My definition of "decent screenplay" also means closing open questions and themes. Those two episodes threw everything out of the window and focused only on Shinji. Could have worked, if the rest of the series had a different concept/premise. Instead we got babbling, huge kanjis over the screen, and, behold, like 3-4 mins of actual animation. Then Anno says all the others are stupid because they didn't understood these perfect examples of poor direction and screenplay. Then, in a great show of coherence, he remakes them, making Rebirth and EoE, which are ridicolous to say the least (giant Rei? EoE hit the bottom after this), and also aggravated by the sheer amount of cheap philosophy (not "second meanings", I mean the themes explained by the characters) that was put in the series. Did I mention they're even incosistent with what was estabilished in the anime? (Asuka's eye....too bad in episode 2 Misato says "That's not your arm" to Shinji...). Then those movies got edited again for the domestic release.
To put it short, those last two episodes were Eva's downfall, already showing signs after episode 20. I wouldn't have minded some more insight on Shinji, but not at the expense of the whole plot.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
[quote="GATSU"]Welcome to the club. I remember when Zac was using his literary "credentials" to justify his superior expertise over mine in being able to evaluate the show.
Anyway, have a toasty frog. It's good for ya. Wink

It's not like the tv show has anything more to offer./quote]You mean you can't like a TV show unless it has a plot? I guess that means Cowboy Bebop sucks now, too. And do you honestly expect to change anyone's opinion with an "OMG, I'm so witty! *giggles*" one sentence reply that doesn't even try to back up your opinions?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
digitalrexAM2 wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
digitalrexAM2 wrote:
also i forgot to mention eureka seven, which is a good series, and as much as it wants to be eva, its not even close......

I gotta say, Eureka seveN never tried to be EVA. I read that it didn't even have mecha in it at first, but while developing it, Bandai forced them to put in mechs for merchandising's sake.

That's probably the worst thing I've gotten from Evangelion: the fact that everyone says any anime even remotely similar to Evangelion is ripping it off, or trying to be like it, or trying to top it.

thats your opinion, when i watch the series, it just seems to very simular thats all......and the mechas in eva or eureka 7 don't matter, what i was talking about is the genra of philosophical fiction as a whole.....and in my opinion eva is better.....i still don't know what reaching the limit of questions is......

You don't understand Eureka seveN, so that means you have to say it rips off Evangelion? They explained it pretty well. spoiler[There's a maximum amount of sentient life that can exist on the planet, before the Limit is reached. When that limit is hit, bad stuff happens. Something like the laws of physics disappearing, a black hole forming, something like that. It's happened once, and there's a small area on the planet where the laws of physics don't exist(possibly that twisted Zone we've see in the Acperiences). The Coralian Intelligence is sentient, and a global entity, so it consumes a large part towards that limit. To alleviate the stress on the limit, it went to sleep, remaining dormant. Dewey is still threatened by it, so he wants to destroy the Coralian Intelligence completely, to destroy that risk to the Limit(should it awaken, it'd exceed that Limit). Dewey doesn't realize that by attacking/destroying it, he risks awakening it, which could have disastrous effects on breaking the Limit, before he could destroy it outright. The Gekkostate hopes to use Eureka, Renton, and the Nirvash to try to find some alternative to Dewey's method.]

Anyways, I hate hate hate how since Evangelion, all the EVA fans claim everything rips it off. Evangelion didn't create every genre of anime. There were mechs before Evangelion, there was character insight before Evangelion, there were mysterious short-haired girls before Evangelion. There were 14 year old male protagonists before Eva, there was symbolism before Eva. Evangelion didn't create any of the things that the fans claim others rip it off for having.

That aside, I'm eagerly awaiting the new EVA movies. I may like Eureka seveN more than Evangelion by a little, but I still love Evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kardlonoc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Kardlonoc wrote:
seriously in the 80s anime used to kickass, It used to be on the very edge of great artistic expression.

......WHAT? Very Happy No really, what? Just how many 80s anime have you seen?

Kardlonoc wrote:
Eva in the 80s challenged the entire art form

Rrright. Who can point out what's wrong with this sentence?

fixed

alright ill throw in early nineties , but you missing the point where anime stop being artistic first and marketable second, and started being marketable first and artistic last.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

He's been at Gainax since the beginning. I seriously believe he got
lucky with Gunbuster, because everything else the company's produced reeks of fanboy pretention and conceit.

Except Gunbuster does, considering it is, and according to the garbage-translated booklet included with the set, is a show made by fanboys, for fanboys, on a fanboy medium utilising devices in well... everything, from the Shoujo-esque sequences to the bloody Ghibli wallpapers in Noriko's, and the booklets "Oh, Gunbuster can overcome time and space inside the heart of all nerds because we are the golden children!" rhetoric... Wait, I can't finish this diatribe.

Seriously, get off of your high-horse. Sure, Tomino was influenced by Space Runaway Ideon, but that doesn't mean he ripped it off, considering the execution of it all was quite different.

But then again what is the point in arguing with you.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
I watched the movie Death & Rebirth & found it bloated. When I commented it was a load of pretentious fluff, I was informed I was too stupid to understand it. I've avoided Eva like the plague & statements like this from Anno do not make me any more generous toward the man or his worshippers..
Yeah, because trying to start watching an anime series from the end of it somehow makes you smart. Rolling Eyes Case in point, Death And Rebirth is not a substitute for the TV series.

What did I say7?

When I voicre the opinioin Eva isn't all that, I'm stupid.

Just beaccuse I'd already loved 40 yrs on this planet, being a sci-fi fan for over 30 yrs. I wasn't exposed to Star Trek, 2001, Blade rtunner, A Boy & His Dog, Solyent Green, Omega Man....and the fanboys of each title positive each one is THE ultimate work of art in the genre.

I read the Ring Trilogy out of order (couldn't find the volumes in proper order) & still was wowed & UNDERSTOOD it when I was 12 or 13.

"You run upstate, you're thrown in jail.
You ain't got the bread to pay the bail
So mom & papa cough up & say "Honey, where have we failed?"

And then trhey scream "You drive me nervous, nervous.
And then I scream "You drive me nervous, nervous"

Then she calls me on the telephone saying "Take me to the show"
And then I say, "Honey, I just can't go"
Old lady says that I can't leave her home.

Telephone is ringing. You got me on the run
I'm driving ion my car now, anticipating fun/
I'm driving right up to you, baby
I guess that you didn't see. I got you under my wheels.
2 3-minute songs written by Cooper in the early '70's saved me how many episodes of Shinji hating his parents & wanting those he didn't like to die?

Forget all those classic myths & legends we all were supposed to have studied in school-Oedipus, Gilgamesh, etc. And I grew up in the 60's where the evening newscaster calmly reported the daily/monthly/annual body count in Vietnam as if he were reporting the weather being sunny & clear. So, no, I never learned war is hell. And that generals want soldiers smart enough to complete the task required, but not smart enough to ask questions.

So. yeah, Eva maybe means more to a generation of people that were safely insulated from the horrors of their countrymen dying in war. And even the stuff going on right now-Americans aren't impacted as we were for wars like Viet Nam, Korea (sorry, that wasn't a war, was it?), etc. I can't remember how many Life magazine war pix I saw before I turned 10. I can't even remember anymore when I learned to expect those in power to lie to us, but I knew it before I turned 20.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Holy jeez!
Why must there be endless picking and flaming just because people are excited about a series or OVA's or whatever the case may be?

All of this 'there is no story' or 'there is a story' is pointless to argue about. If you see a story, then that is ones perception, if you don't, then that is another. Especially when talking about NGE. Never before has there been one series that has caused more arguments and heated discussions. NGE is like trying to discuss religion or politics. Nobody is going to change someones mind about it with a single post.

There are plenty of series that I do not care for. However, I do not jump down someones throat when they talk about how much they like it. Having an elitist attitude impresses nobody and does not score points on the internet, much less in the real world.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LordRobin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Death And Rebirth is not a substitute for the TV series.

So... It's a retelling of the TV series that requires you to have watched the original series to understand it? Could there be anything more pointless? That's like chewing used gum.

And I can't believe people are still defending the original last two episodes. After 24 episodes of mecha action and the development of multiple characters, we're treated to two episodes of squiggly-line art as Shinji whines about his life, all other characters forgotten. Why didn't they just end it with a pie fight? It would have made as much sense.

Back in my Usenet days, I used to get into endless arguments with this one girl over the last two episodes, which she loved. Then I met her in person and married her. So it's all good.

------RM
Obsessive Touga Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
So... It's a retelling of the TV series that requires you to have watched the original series to understand it? Could there be anything more pointless? That's like chewing used gum.

Are you not familiar with the concept of the "recap episode"? That's what Death is. It's designed to refresh the story, the characters and some of the series' more memorable scenes in the mind of the audience who has already seen the series. It's not intended for new viewers (just as Rebirth/End of Eva are not intended for new viewers) and does not count as a substitute for having watched the series.

Quote:
And I can't believe people are still defending the original last two episodes. After 24 episodes of mecha action and the development of multiple characters, we're treated to two episodes of squiggly-line art as Shinji whines about his life, all other characters forgotten.

Eh? Episode 25 is mostly about the other characters.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
ANNO says....

"Yeah...keep arguing.....Yeah keep paying....."

all of this will make sense after you buy "The Evangelion Bible" and the Cardass collection of EVA, with all this...You're all good.....

now sir, here is your receipt. arigato.
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
*sighs*
This is the reason I hate fanatic EVA fans... It's a good show, but not THAT good...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9