• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideaki Anno Releases Statement About New Evangelion Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how much hate, vitriol and jealousy is brought up these days in any discussion about Evangelion and Anno Hideaki. So many bitter older fans who claim that Anno ripped the eighties oldies "Spaceship Runaway Ideon" and "Gundam", so many disappointed younger fans who expected some lifechanging experience after hearing so much hype about the franchise, so many viewers who thought the ending was crap/self-righteous and never liked arthouse-narration in the first place...

And the list goes on, and on, and on ...

Are there actually any *neutral* viewers around here? People who see good and bad points about the plot/art/franchise without generalizing everything because they couldn't cope with one aspect about it or loved the characters extremely? People who also consider the japanese background of the phenomenon and it's place in anime history? People, who neither have been fooled by the huge hype in english fandom nor by the bitter nay-sayers?

Those viewers must float around somewhere. I'd be glad to hear more from them what they think about the idea of Gainax reusing their mega.hit Evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="MokonaModoki"]I
It was pretty terrific (in a variety of ways) for 1995-96. But it wasn't Finnegan's Wake, kids, no matter how incomprehensible they tried to make it. At least James Joyce understood symbolism when he used it. NGE's creators threw a bunch in just to be strange (i.e. the whole "No, none of us were Christian, were those symbols supposed to actually mean something?" attitude).
quote]
digitalrexAM2 wrote:

PS James Joyce is unreadable, eva is at least watchable if for only the art

THANK YOU! We have the answer!

For those who can understand Joyce (or whoever), Joyce/whoever does it better, more sublimely, more vivdly-whatever. However, if someone hands you the secrets of the universe, but they're written in Russian & you speak/read no Russian whatsoever, they don't exactly help you, do they?

It's like the Beatles. So many people love the Beatles. They were so great-groundbreaking, right? Although many serious commentary of their work points out most of their groundbreaking ideas were done by someone else first-they just had an incredible knack for packaging it for the masses. And much of their other grounbreaking ideas, per their producer, stemmed from their total ignorance of accepted musical rules/conventions/etc.

It's sort of sad in a way. Anno commenting there has been nothing in the last 12 yrs since Eva. So he's just dismissed a decade of his own life? (Although I agree he brought nothing to Kare Kano. The manga is much better)

But it is the Eva fans who do foster so much of this hate. So many "I just finished Eva.." what does it mean? Or it's like the Emperor's New Clothes-trhey're afraid to admit they don't "get it", so they just start generalizing. Or talking about the sex. Or violence.

And all the "You're too stupid to understand" Gee, I can't watch an OVA of a show to see if I like the style/story & move on to the series next. Because I don't have a brain & haven't seen any movies or tv shows or read any books in the 46 yrs I've been on this planet. It never ceases to amaze me how my daughter has seen movies her friends have NEVER heard of just because I've exposed her to them. At least she's seen The Marx brothers, Arsenic & Old Lace, M, & others so she has a mental ref to the REAL people & not the caracatures channeled by hundreds of modern actors.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The amount of bitching in this thread is remarkable. Is that the only thing some people know how to do 'round these parts?

v1cious wrote:
can you honestly say this isn't true? sure there's been a lot of cheap imitations, but no one's even come close to Eva yet.

Come close to what? Influence? Quality? Popularity? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the first and third options, but the second one is blind fanaticism to say that nothing has even come close to Neon Genesis Evangelion.

mufurc wrote:
it's definitely worth more than crap like Elfen Lied

Very Happy

Faceman wrote:
Also for Asuka to not comparatively suck as a pilot

Somebody sure as hell wasn't paying attention in The End of Evangelion and other various spots in the series.

MugenKeiji wrote:
Strangely, I'm reminded of what Kajishima noted about Tenchi back in 2000 before considering the 3rd OVA...

Details, my friend?

And of course, this just wouldn't be a thread about NGE without Gatsu.

GATSU wrote:
Akira, Guyver and Patlabor.

Please tell me that you're not insisting that Evangelion "rip-offed" of them.

Quote:
Of course, Anno ripped off Tomino's Ideon, so he's clearly the real failure.

Being influenced by something doesn't constitute as ripping-off another's work. In the case of Space Runaway Ideon... well, I take it all the influences are found later in the series and in Be Invoked, considering that early batch of episodes that I watched before giving up were horrid repetitive drivel.

Quote:
It's not just the lack of depth. It's the lack of appeal. Evangelion is creatively and emotionally sterile, its mediocrity embraced, rather than avoided.

That's the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever read from you, Gatsu.

Quote:
Evangelion doesn't consist of a sequence of events as much as a sequence of angels and pilots. The average giant robot story at least covers the situation on the ground(or in space) but Evangelion just has Shinji and co. piloting the mechs through most of the series. Character development and background(if it can be called that) are incidental at best.

Come off it. That's a bunch of bull that is only coming out of your unending, blind hatred for NGE.

CCSYueh wrote:
What did I say7?

When I voicre the opinioin Eva isn't all that, I'm stupid.

The people calling you stupid are idiotic, certainly, but basing your entire opinion of a work off what is supposed to be a recap for those who have already seen the entire series is ridiculous.

LordRobin wrote:
Kouji wrote:
Death And Rebirth is not a substitute for the TV series.

So... It's a retelling of the TV series that requires you to have watched the original series to understand it? Could there be anything more pointless? That's like chewing used gum.

Read the above.

Quote:
And I can't believe people are still defending the original last two episodes. After 24 episodes of mecha action and the development of multiple characters, we're treated to two episodes of squiggly-line art as Shinji whines about his life, all other characters forgotten. Why didn't they just end it with a pie fight? It would have made as much sense.

Yeah, they sure neglected Rei, Asuka, and Misato when they devoted entire segments to their personalities, why they acted that way, getting behind what made them tick, etc. Not to mention that it's made painfully clear what the hell NGE is about if you have been brain-dead for the past twenty-four episodes.

matrixdude124 wrote:
*sighs*
This is the reason I hate fanatic EVA fans... It's a good show, but not THAT good...

I hate NGE fanatics who label it as the most complex and deep anime ever created as much as I hate fools who brush off NGE as a piece of garbage with no direction in storytelling, pitiful characters, and endings that aren't "endings" because they'd rather see something more pedestrian rather than something outside the norm.

CCSYueh wrote:
But it is the Eva fans who do foster so much of this hate.

I'm seeing as much, if not arguably more hate coming from the NGE bashers than those who think it to be the grand daddy of anime. Both camps are involved on this one, dude.

... Anyway, all of this " IT/YOU SUCK!!" aside, I'm looking forward to the movies. Anno could claim himself to be God, and I couldn't care less so as long as he puts out a quality product. If not, then I have the original series and EoE to turn back on.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
What did I say7?

And what did I say? That it isn't you voicing your opinion about Eva that makes you stupid. It's you basing your opinion about an entire 26 episode TV series on a two hour recap that does make you stupid. That's like reading the summary on the back of The Lord Of The Rings and calling it crap based on its cover.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Um hi *cough*. I guess I'm one of the neutral viewers here.

When I first saw EVA I didn't really like it because it was confusing and I was young. Now that I've grown up a bit, I enjoy it for what it is (to be honest, I find it somewhat depressing, but it's a cool story). I'm not the biggest EVA fan EVARR but hey, I don't mind what it presented, either. The milking of the series doesn't bother me anymore; at first, it was rather annoying, but hell, I wish they'd come out with a spiffy jacket and 12 meter figure of Saya from BLOOD+ or something. You die-hard EVA fans are lucky that you get so much cool merchandise. Wink

Anyway, like I said, I'm not the biggest fan of the series but I'm interested to see the movies and see where Anno goes with them. The only thing that slightly bothered me about the interview is when he stated "However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime "newer" than Eva." Maybe this statement was lost in translation, but c'mon...Cowboy Bebop? I know hundreds of people who HATE anime and have never seen Evangelion but always tell me how much they enjoy Spike & Co. on their adventures. This always brings a smile to my face, because even though the show wasn't over-flowing with symbolism, it was still unique enough to capture an audience that extended far beyond our humble otaku culture and into the hearts of viewers from all over the world. But hey, Anno is promoting his work and if the new movies live up to his words, then more power to him.
Amasa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
HazelAsher wrote:
The only thing that slightly bothered me about the interview is when he stated "However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime "newer" than Eva." Maybe this statement was lost in translation, but c'mon...Cowboy Bebop? I know hundreds of people who HATE anime and have never seen Evangelion but always tell me how much they enjoy Spike & Co. on their adventures. This always brings a smile to my face, because even though the show wasn't over-flowing with symbolism, it was still unique enough to capture an audience that extended far beyond our humble otaku culture and into the hearts of viewers from all over the world. But hey, Anno is promoting his work and if the new movies live up to his words, then more power to him.

One thing that I thought was pretty obvious in his interview was that he was really talking about Japanese audiences. There is a very big difference between Japanese audiences and American/Australian or anywhere else. Cowboy Bebop was more popular in the West than in Japan. Neon Genesis Evangelion was more popular in Japan that in the West. Perhaps Anno is right when he states there has been no newer anime than NGE, because, as he makes it pretty clear, NGE attracted more younger male audiences than any other anime since. I will say that I believe him, even though the English translation of his interview does make him sound egotistical and hubristic. I think he wants to make these films to satisfy his own need for a fair round-off to the franchise and also to attract those lost audiences of Japan back to anime.

I really think everyone is taking this too seriously. It's so much easier to insult something than it is to compliment and be optimistic - this is a sad truth that we experience every day. There is a perfect reason why NGE is being milked and that's because fans of the series are still buying all the merchandise... sorry but why wouldn't you continue to produce merchandise if people out there still want it and you're making money from it?
All you pessimists are honestly, quite hurtful. I'm not an NGE Die-Hard and to be honest, I only initially enjoyed the series and the films because it had the appearance of being deep and intelligent. Since then I've grown up a bit and come to realize that it's a great series for what it is, how it says it and why. If you don't like the series then don't personally insult the creators of it. Anno isn't making the four films for people who don't want to like it, he's making the films for me and people who are going to enjoy whatever they want and can from anime without being influenced by the opinions of the narrow-minded American message board-ers. And yeah, I called you narrow-minded because that's what you are if you dismiss something before you've even seen it. It's okay to be skeptical about a "retelling" of the Eva series but come on, is it okay to display your ignorance and maliciousness to the general public?

Also, why take all your anger out on Anno? I seriously doubt he has much say on exactly how much merchandise is sold.

Well, I'm definately looking forward to the new movies. I think it will be great to bring something so old back to the public for people who haven't seen the original. Also, the films are inevitably going to attract huge audiences since Eva got even bigger once it was long finished. This films will attract people who have never even watched anime. I'm not even talking about Western audiences here. What's most importance for my enjoyment of anime in Australia, is that it is made in Japan where there is the most demand for it. As long as that remains then I will always watch anime.
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:

One thing that I thought was pretty obvious in his interview was that he was really talking about Japanese audiences. There is a very big difference between Japanese audiences and American/Australian or anywhere else. Cowboy Bebop was more popular in the West than in Japan. Neon Genesis Evangelion was more popular in Japan that in the West. Perhaps Anno is right when he states there has been no newer anime than NGE, because, as he makes it pretty clear, NGE attracted more younger male audiences than any other anime since. I will say that I believe him, even though the English translation of his interview does make him sound egotistical and hubristic. I think he wants to make these films to satisfy his own need for a fair round-off to the franchise and also to attract those lost audiences of Japan back to anime.
I think regardless of whether or not he's talking about a Japanese or American audience, the size of the audience has changed a lot since the mid-90's. He may only be appealing to audiences in Japan (which, btw, I think these movies are more of a creative en devour for himself personally...not that there's anything wrong with that), but surely, it would be ignorant to ignore the success of the series in the US/Austrailia/around the world. He probably doesn't care, but his statement is kind-of a slap in the face to many other manga/anime creators in Japan as well. Regardless of the size of their fan base, there have been many anime that have come out that have meant more to people than EVA, and yeah, that includes Japanese audiences too. I'm not dissing on him, or whatever. Like I said, I'm interested to see what the movies will bring to the table, and I'm a completely neutral fan! Whatever...this whole debacle is pointless until September. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Kouji:
Quote:
You mean you can't like a TV show unless it has a plot? I guess that means Cowboy Bebop sucks now, too.

I'm not a big Bebop fan, either. But, unlike Eva, I don't feel aggravated by it, because Watanabe isn't full of himself like Anno.

Quote:
And do you honestly expect to change anyone's opinion with an "OMG, I'm so witty! *giggles*" one sentence reply that doesn't even try to back up your opinions?

Nope. That's just something I do for fun. Teehee.

CCS:
Quote:
They were so great-groundbreaking, right? Although many serious commentary of their work points out most of their groundbreaking ideas were done by someone else first-they just had an incredible knack for packaging it for the masses. And much of their other grounbreaking ideas, per their producer, stemmed from their total ignorance of accepted musical rules/conventions/etc.

I think what makes The Beatles better than most white artists of that time is that they actually promoted the black singers they covered. Plus they could write their own songs, and weren't just a cover band. If there's a musical equivalent to Evangelion, however, it's Oasis. Or if you want to mean about it, Hole. Rolling Eyes

Hellkorn:
Quote:
Please tell me that you're not insisting that Evangelion "rip-offed" of them.

Shinji going berserk is straight out of Guyver.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
One thing that I thought was pretty obvious in his interview was that he was really talking about Japanese audiences. There is a very big difference between Japanese audiences and American/Australian or anywhere else. Cowboy Bebop was more popular in the West than in Japan. Neon Genesis Evangelion was more popular in Japan that in the West. Perhaps Anno is right when he states there has been no newer anime than NGE, because, as he makes it pretty clear, NGE attracted more younger male audiences than any other anime since.
According to ANN, Fullmetal Alchemist topped Evangelion as number one on TV Asahi's poll of most favorite anime of 2006: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2006-10-13/japan's-favorite-tv-anime
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
What did I say7?

And what did I say? That it isn't you voicing your opinion about Eva that makes you stupid. It's you basing your opinion about an entire 26 episode TV series on a two hour recap that does make you stupid. That's like reading the summary on the back of The Lord Of The Rings and calling it crap based on its cover.

I need to eat the whole bowl of soup (& maybe puke) to know I don't like it?
And we all have to watch an entire season of a tv show before deciding if we like it or not.

I never dreamed everyone couldn't read upsidedown & backward until I ran into several co-workers who couldn't & thought I was a freak for being able to read it just as well as if it's been facing the proper way.

And I have no problem watching/reading shows/books out-of-order because I'm pretty good at filling in the gaps.

So I need to waste 12 hrs of my life to MAKE SURE it does nothing for me. I did my time watching soap operas when I was a teenager. I just want to slap all those whiney wimps giving us gals a bad name. I'm supposed to feel more generous when it's whiney boys? Sorry. Stand on your own 2 feet. I work with druggies. "No one understands me, that's why I have to do drugs" "My life sucks, that's why I have to use drugs""I can't get a job because I'm a convicted felon!" We all have our lot in life. There's always someone out there who has it worse than you do. And they're usually the one's not complaining.

Would it make you happier if I also admitted to owning the last dvd (I like Akira Ishida). So I sat thru all the "Look at my incredible artistic abilities!!!!" (Brian DePalma does split-screen better.) All the self-indulgent tricks of the title that have been over-used in art-house flicks for ages. (I've also had the first one for 3 months, just can't force myself to watch. I have to watch it subtitled because I'm only interested in the Japanese VA's. And it means raising my bloodpressure wading thru all the the ""I AM MAKING A STATEMENT THAT WILL CHANGE ALL OF YOUR PUNY, PATHETIC LIVES!!!" I don't need to be talked down to by a guy making cartoons in Japan. (Isn't it so annoying when someone's talking down to you thinking you don't notice because you're that stupid, but of course you can tell?)

As I said, I have my secrets of the universe already, thank you. I prefer subtle-wow, there it is. I don't have to be beat over the head with it. I think that's the same problem others who don't like Eva have-they don't need it because they have something that speaks more to their souls. Eva fans just seem to think theirs are the only secrets of the universe that matter.

And for Anno to make such a bloated statement is BEGGING people to disagree. Taking his side, they might as well just stop making all other anime other than Eva because Eva is the only one that matters. Everything else is a waste of time, effort & precious resources.

And if I LIKED Death & Rebirth & then checked out Eva & liked it, there would be no problem. Because I would agree with you that Eva is better than Jesus, right?
ktchmeifucan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="v1cious"][quote="NGE1113"]
Hideaki Anno wrote:
However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime "newer" than Eva.

mmm , that's was an ego problem , if i'm not wrong , lain was an amazing anime , i've also enjoy "horror " anime as shigoku shoujo , (sounds weird.)

Ergo proxy has an amazing projection , i can mention a lot of anime after eva , the only thing that i can´t deny is the argument , it's amazing , and there are only 2 o 3 series with that excellent mix , between , drama , existencial problems , violence , pshycological violence and a lot of elements.

Cya , hope to post soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Hideaki Anno had spoken like a true career director who has no clue on what he had just done to the industry and the anime fanbase.

Let me go back to the top with this one:

Spineless loser male lead (Shinji)
    Half-naked comatose female lead (of two) (Asuka)
    A few minutes.
    White goop all over the hand of said spineless loser male lead (Shinji)

AND, last I checked, Anno's responsible for the "Re: Cutey Honey" series.

For some franchise (ala Gundam), sure. Okay. But there's something people like to call "moving on."
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm not a big Bebop fan, either. But, unlike Eva, I don't feel aggravated by it, because Watanabe isn't full of himself like Anno.

Right, because it isn't like, oh, say, Tomino has an an enormous ego, or that there are directors out there in any medium who think too highly of himself.

Separate content from the creator. An asshole could make the most moving film ever created while the most humble could create the worst piece of moving pictures ever crafted.

Quote:
Shinji going berserk is straight out of Guyver.

So, like, that's so totally a rip-off, right? Because apparently words like "homage" and "inspiration" aren't in your dictionary. I don't know if Anno was inspired by Guyver or not, but I don't really care. Just about every single story lifted out of ANY medium in fiction is inspired by or has a likeness to another work prior to it. Unless there is another work of fiction that has the exact same storyline, similar characters, ending, elements, direction, etc. that Evangelion, then your bitching only amounts to bitching.

CCSYueh wrote:
Kouji wrote:

I need to eat the whole bowl of soup (& maybe puke) to know I don't like it?
And we all have to watch an entire season of a tv show before deciding if we like it or not.

How about actually reading what Kouji and I have said. You're basing your opinion on something that shouldn't really be viewed by some new to Evangelion. It's a freakin' recap to those who've already watch the whole series. You "sampling" it doesn't work here because what you get out of it doesn't mean by suddenly jumping head-first into a twenty-six episodes series without having actually seen ANY of the series.

Now, if you were to say, watch the first few episodes of Evangelion and not like it, great, that's your opinion, proud of ya for it. But to base your judgment of an entire body of work on what is basically a handout only to those already familiar with it is foolish.

Quote:
And I have no problem watching/reading shows/books out-of-order because I'm pretty good at filling in the gaps.

I'd take a guess that you aren't reading material that isn't plot heavy, not to mention you're neglecting the creator's efforts to create an story that, yanno, should be viewed in its entirety.

Quote:
And if I LIKED Death & Rebirth & then checked out Eva & liked it, there would be no problem. Because I would agree with you that Eva is better than Jesus, right?

I certainly don't share that exaggerated opinion, and I would suspect that Kouji doesn't, either. Nice way to blow the opinions of Evangelion fans out of proportion, eh?

ktchmeifucan wrote:
Ergo proxy has an amazing projection , i can mention a lot of anime after eva , the only thing that i can´t deny is the argument , it's amazing , and there are only 2 o 3 series with that excellent mix , between , drama , existencial problems , violence , pshycological violence and a lot of elements.

I find Ergo Proxy to be overrated yet I still love it, though that's another discussion.

As far "only" two or three other series that have that mix? I'd advise for you to look into other anime or else include "I can only think of two or three series..." before making that call.

Tyrenol wrote:
Hideaki Anno had spoken like a true career director who has no clue on what he had just done to the industry and the anime fanbase.

Let me go back to the top with this one:

spoiler[Spineless loser male lead (Shinji)
    Half-naked comatose female lead (of two) (Asuka)
    A few minutes.
    White goop all over the hand of said spineless loser male lead (Shinji)]

spoiler[Drugged, not comatose.]

Yeah, Anno really scarred the anime audience and industry by including that scene. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
AND, last I checked, Anno's responsible for the "Re: Cutey Honey" series.

... Your point being...?

Quote:
For some franchise (ala Gundam), sure. Okay. But there's something people like to call "moving on."

There's also something called "moving on" when all you have to say about a franchise is more bitching about them "milking the cow."
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
eloyabun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Mission accomplished, Anno-san Smile

Anime fans are passionately discussing about Evangelion just like when it was released 12 years ago... and without showing a single frame of the new animation, character designs or even a plot synopsis. Americans must admit that Japanese people are the real master of marketing. "Halo 3" hype is rubbish compared to the anime fans hype... Rolling Eyes

Delicious… Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9