• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
manga or anime first

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I started off on the anime circuit, thanks to the introduction of Toonami on CN. I didn't get involved with manga until about four years later, and that was to continue Dragon Ball, since FUNimation didn't have the license at the time. Today, I would have to say that, for me, anime holds an edge over manga, just ever so slight. I'll admit that buying manga is secondary compared to anime, but to make the most of what money I have, I focus on original manga titles, and avoid manga that are not the source for their anime counterpart (i.e., those "based on X series" titles).
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
I began with anime without even noticing it was anime (Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon). When I got the first Pokemon VHS it came with that manga of pokemon and I read it and liked it but I didn't buy anyone. It wasn't until 9th grade I started reading manga. A bunch of kids had issue one of Shonen Jump (mostly for the Blue Eyes card) and I thought it was cool because it had Dragon Ball Z and the early story of Yu-Gi-Oh 4kids skipped. After I started reading Shonen jump I found manga pretty cool and it was something I could read in at school to pass the time. Now I read manga as much as I watch anime but at all times possible I try to be reading the manga before I see the anime and stay head in the manga like they do in Japan.
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
I started with anime (DBZ and Gundam Wing on Toonami), and then I started watching Ghibli stuff and Ghost in the Shell. One day I was walking past suncoast and they had a rack of manga with Ghost in the Shell on it. I bought it and to this day my first manga is my favorite.
Trytan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I actually read manga first, which doesn't seem to be the case of most people here. You see, I love reading. To this day, I'm still just a teenager, and I have already read thousands of books. I've already read more books in my life then many people ever do. So basically, I checked out a bunch of books at my library, and then one day, I saw some Pokemon manga books. (This was when I was maybe 8, right when Pokemon had started getting popular, mid 90's). So anyway, I checked those out, read all those, then checked out some Dragonball books, etc. I actually first saw anime about half a year later at my cousins.
glycerides

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
For me ill watch the anime first then move to manga. coz some anime have unfinished story or somewhat unclear ends. and thats the best time to read manga to know what happens next.. Laughing
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I usually watch anime first and then I usually hunt down the Manga of the anime I love. I however have learnt that most Manga is better then the Anime- Ouran is really the only exception I can think of. Don't get me wrong I love the Manga it's one of my favorites but the anime well is just awsome-especially the twins Embarassed

Though there is an exception to my read manga after the anime thing, since I started Death Note before I saw the anime-and I actually have only seen the first epoisde becaause I want to read the manga first. I also have not seen the anime for Monster but I am reading and lovin the Manga.
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
They both happened around the same time for me. My first official anime(s), the Studio Ghibli films (I desperately wanted to see Spirited Away, and after online research I learned it was anime and then learned that Kiki and Totoro, films by the same director, were out in the US). Shortly afterwards, I found Angelic Layer at a bookstore (I thought it was so cool- it's BACKWARDS!)
As for which I prefer, they both have their ups and downs. For anime, it's fun to see the charcters "alive", moving and in color, and sometimes it makes it more dramatic or funny. As for manga, it's cheaper, and can get the story across just as well as the anime could. Of course, there are some anime which I think are better than the manga (like Angelic Layer and Azumanga Daioh).
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
I started out.....actually with paper dolls. I have no idea where I ever got them, but when I was growing up, I lived in England, and I had these manga art styled paper dolls that I've never found or seen or heard of anywhere else. And that made me fall in love with the style. Also, the movie The Last Unicorn was a Japanese and American production where the main character is heavily influenced by classic anime style. And that was the movie I had to watch like everyday when I was a kid (c'mon, everyone has that ONE movie). Then, when the Littl' Bits was on Nickelodeon when I came back to the states, it was like my favorite TV show. From then on whenever I saw the style, I just couldn't resist it. So any anime that came on TV I watched. Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop. When I was a senior in high school, I had a friend tell me all about Chobits and a bunch of other manga. So one day I picked up Chobits, and from there it grew into this ridiculous manga obsession I have now. In only about 4 years, I've collected nearly 500 manga.... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop So I guess you could say it started with Anime (because do paper dolls really count?) and then moved to manga. I'm now a much bigger manga otaku than anime otaku. Although I like both, I prefer manga. The End. Anime smallmouth
Emi12435

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 am Reply with quote
[quote="JOINERIC"]Did you start reading manga or watching anime first and which do you like better.

First time I would be seeing a single page on the internet. There was a connection between the theme. At that time manga was not known. I kept looking for this art style. I like the art style of manga and I played games that would look similar to manga. One of the game had a link to divenrart ? Can't spell. Anime was the first though. First anime was Dragon Z, when I was younger I thought it was just a cartoon like, the western animation.

I like manga because it's arty.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but this is major necroposting as this thread is 10 years old. If you want to discuss the topic you can start a new thread but this is being locked due to it's age.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2