• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How many chapters do you read a day? {your reading pace]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if someone already made a topic about this, but as the title says, ok, so your reading manga and you enjoy every min of it, but how do you descibe your reading pace depending on the type of manga you read?

for example, when i'm reading the shaman king manga, I Ussially read at least 5 chapters a day (dued to each chapter being at least 20 pages)

and when I'm reading the Full Metal alchemist manga, I read at least 3 chapters a day

and when I read the Kinnikuman manga, I read at least 10 chapters a day(dued to each chapter being 10 pages each_ Very Happy

or in some manga's when i get bored of seeing endless amounts of repetitive flashbacks like when i'm reading the Naruto manga, I read at least 3 chapters a day,because those endless flashbacks can easilly throw me off.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm a fast reader and I always have been. I've never actually timed myself but I think that I get through the average-sized manga in 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Of course, that depends on a variety of factors: Complexity of drawings and/or text and whether or not I'm interrupted by something: other people, phone, bathroom break Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing And then there is the time factor...how much time to I have to sit down and read.

So, I don't actually count the chapters, I count the manga volumes.
kyonichi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
Depends on what's going on... Sometimes my workday is upwards of 14 hours long, so there are lots of days when I don't get to read any manga. Other times I watch anime during my down time instead. Usually I can squeeze in at least one or two volumes though.
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
On the very rare occasions that I actually take time to read manga, if there are multiple volumes available to me, I can get through about 3 or 4 volumes in a couple of hours more or less, regardless of how many chapters they may have. Like this past week and a half I got through all 28 volumes of Ruroken and still managed to watch a couple of series and finish a non manga related novel I had started the previous week.

I love reading so much that I have become fairly fast which is why manga, comics, and even subtitles in anime are fairly easy for me. I don't have to concentrate on the words so much because my brain sort of just processes them for me while I'm either watching the anime or art in a manga. So if I just stuck to manga primarily I'd guess I'd go through about 7 or 8 volumes a day, probably twice as much on my days off.

But reading that much manga is rare for me, the most I normally read is the volume every 3 months or so of Furuba or Ai Yori Aoshi (the only two series I am currently following) as they come in, although there are some that I do plan to get into or finally finish some day, GTO is on the top of things I would like to finish, although Gunslinger Girl would easily climb to the top if they ever finally finished releasing it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
So, I don't actually count the chapters, I count the manga volumes.

Same here. I've been pacing myself lately to get whatever reading I can get in, and these days it's been averaging two manga volumes a day. They may be of the same series, they may be different, depends upon what mood I may be in. My record time for manga reading currently is 12 volumes in 2 hours.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
My record time for manga reading currently is 12 volumes in 2 hours.
Damn I wish I could read that fast. It would make my college reading assignments a breeze.

My normal reading time is basically the exact same as LydiaDianne's; I usually read through an entire volume in and hour to an hour and a half. Some series, those that are low on talk and high on action, like Claymore, I could probably read through faster but I force myself to slow down and focus on the imagery when nothing's being said. I like to really sink into a manga when I read, just like I do with novels.

Chapterwise, I'd estimate between 8-20 chapters per day, depending on how many are in a volume of manga and how many volumes I get to read. (The average is probably around 13.)

undeadben wrote:
Gunslinger Girl would easily climb to the top if they ever finally finished releasing it.
I am 100% in agreement. If only ADV bothered to monitor this message board, they might have noticed by now that there are a lot of Gunslinger Girl fans.

No wonder they're losing to Funi. Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
I'm also part of the volume club. I don't ever keep track of the chapter numbers. I always keep track by the manga volume number. This way I also make sure I have enough time to read the volume and not just rush it. My record, while high I think, is not up to par with you fighter. My record, when I've kept track, is 9 volumes in 2 hours. I could've snuck a 10th in maybe but on that particular day my gf came home and wanted attention. Manga....gf.....manga...gf.....yea sorry but Deathnote volume 5 hit the floor faster than Bobby Brown smacking Whitney.
Asako

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:32 am Reply with quote
I get through about 3-4 on days that I read them. Sometimes it makes me fall asleep though (like FLCL) But when it came to Death Note I read 6 books in one day.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
I can read one volume (which is usually roughly 4 chapters or so) of manga in 1-1.5 hours usually. If I'm re-reading the volume, this time can go down to between half an hour and an hour.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
My record time for manga reading currently is 12 volumes in 2 hours.
Damn I wish I could read that fast. It would make my college reading assignments a breeze.

I'm not sure what he was reading, but I don't think reading skill is the only attribute in a series like X or The Prince of Tennis, where it's very possible to breeze (going at a brisk, but not speed reading pace) through an entire volume in about 20 minutes.

I don't count by chapters or volumes, I just read what I can that day. It's usually about 40-80 pages a day, depending on how much time I have, how easy it is to read, how engrossed I am or how close to the end of the book I am.
cnile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
i like to make mine last,so i try to do one chapter a week(i'm reading a bunch of different series at any one time). but with Cromartie High i do like 1 or 2 (or 3) chapters a day, and Hunter x Hunter books since volume 8 i just cant control myself with, and i do a book in 2 days. but thats with books i actually buy. manga from the library or that i borrow from a friend i tend to read faster, a couple chapters a day.
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I can generally read a graphic novel in about the standard hour to hour and a half. Although I will admit that I don't generally give the artwork all the due time it deserves. So I will then reread it a few days later and linger on almost every page to suck in the art work. That might take more like 2 to 2 1/2 hours. It's like I read the story first and then read the artwork, if that makes sense.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't really count the chapters, but I'm a fast reader. I can usually read an entire volume in 30 minutes to an hour. But, if there is a lot of dialogue, it will sometimes take me longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I am a fast reader as well, but it also depends on the manga. There are already people who have mentioned that they don't measure their reading by chapters but by volumes. Same with me, but just like Richard J said, I like very much to sink in the imagery of the manga and just be in the story. Therefore being so concentrated I usually read quite a lot of manga in one hour. But now that I think, I read between 4 and 5 volumes of manga in an hour, maybe an hour an a half.

To tell you the truth, it's really hard to say for the simple fact that when I'm in something I am so concentrated that I just don't pay attention to the outside factors and time is one of them. Embarassed
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm also generally a fast reader, though I seldom dedicate any real time towards reading manga. Some days I won't even read anything, while there are other days when I can finish a whole volume. Though usually I try to read about at least 1 chapter a day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4