• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How many chapters do you read a day? {your reading pace]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I'm not sure what he was reading, but I don't think reading skill is the only attribute in a series like X or The Prince of Tennis, where it's very possible to breeze (going at a brisk, but not speed reading pace) through an entire volume in about 20 minutes.

I was reading Life, a very powerful psychological thriller in my opinion. It's said to be very popular among Japanese high school girls in Japan. Take a wild guess at who put in the one Masterpiece rating in there Wink
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
A lot of it just depends on what you are reading. I went though 20 or so volumes of Berserk in a two day time period but I wasn't reading when I was at work and such. A lot of times I sit down and do marathon reading where I'll read several volumes at once. I remember it taking me a few hours to read all 10 volumes of Kodocha. I remember I had to get up early the next day but I couldn't stop reading and I ended up going to be way later then I had planed.

A chapter I'd say on average takes about 10 to 15 minutes.

But I don't really time myself that much. I think the only time I seriously timed myself reading anything was with the 5th Harry Potter book (my friends and I were having an informal contest, who could finish the book first), which I think I managed to read the entire book under 23 hours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
My record for reading manga is 150-something reincarnations of Shaman King in 8 hours. I stayed up until 4 AM.

Usually I don't count chapters, I count volumes. Depending on the type of manga, I can finish a volume in 45 minutes to an hour. If it's something with lots of action like FMA or anything else shounen it takes less time, but something more dialogue intensive like NANA or Death Note takes me longer. I'm a pretty fast reader generally, though. -finished the 5th Harry Potter book in 14 hours straight-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
In terms of reading pace, I'd say to finish one volume generally requires about 45 minutes to one hour of my time. However, how much time I need can easily go either way, depending on the depth of what I'm reading, and how into it I am. There is no set amount I'll read per day, though; basically, it's totally random. I'll read five volumes in one day, then go a week without reading anything else. I can't really explain this anomaly...
tomadou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I average about 4 volumes of manga a day. I usually spend 15-20 minutes reading a volume. Some books take me a bit longer, like GTO which seems to be ferociously text heavy. The most manga I've read in a day would probably be about 30. (I binge manga reading). But this being said I don't just read manga once; I'll usually read it several times, and more if I absolutely love it. Also, when I get new mangas I read the new volume in the series...then I reread the whole series again from start to finish--I do this every time a new book comes out. So um... say for Vagabond, I've read volume 1 about 24 times!
Arcanite Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I can probably go through a manga in about 1.5 hours, but I try to pace myself so I don't get bored when I'm done reading. with my pacing, I usually take about 3 hours to finish one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
I know that my record sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I should state though what my reading pace is for a volume and then it can give you an idea for how long it normally takes me to get through one volume. Under normal circumstances I take about 20 to 30 minutes to get through one volume, which would be about right when I was reading X/1999 today.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote
I generally hate to set down a volume without finishing it, so I try to make sure I have time to finish at least one full volume when I sit down to read. If I don't have that much time, I'll generally just read American comics instead that night, though it depends on what mood I'm in. Typically, if I set aside a volume before I've finished it to read more later, it's because the book is boring me (see Free Collars Kingdom Vol. 1 for a recent example).

My standard time for reading a volume is about 30-40 minutes, but it depends on how much I like the art...if I really like it, I'll tend to linger a bit more. If I read more than one volume in succession, it's almost always of the same series. If I'm going to switch series, I usually take a break for a while to let the first series soak in before going to the second.

Last night was really unusual for me: I was reading Sugar Sugar Rune while watching TV, reading about 1/2 a chapter each commercial break. I read every commercial break for a little over 3 hours (through the end of Countdown with Keith Olbermann, then all of House, Boston Legal, a L&O:SVU rerun, and the beginning of a rerun of The Black Donnellys, which is totally awesome and everyone should be watching). I got through all of volume 2 and about 2/3 of volume 3. It was an interesting experiment, but I think I'd rather read with the TV shut off so I can completely concentrate on the manga.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I count volumes too. Depending on the series, I can get through a volume in less than 1/2 hour for something like Ranma 1/2 & Claymore, yet Shirow's Ghost in the Shell 2 took well over half a day for me to get through & understand.

It's also rare or me to pick up a series piecemeal (i.e., volume by volume), as when I buy manga (which is not very often), I tend to buy whole series in one go. This usually means that I end up reading the whole lot in one sitting; I did that for Chrono Crusade, Hellsing, Read or Die, & Lady Snowblood.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
It depends on how hooked I am with the series at some point, not necessarily the series itself, like I remember finishing volumes 5 and 6 of Death Note in one time of continuous reading and I remember I was so hooked at that point that I brought water and snacks to place on the coffee table so I won't have to halt my reading and leave the couch to get something and there are series, though being so entertained by them couldn't bring myself to read more than a chapter a day like the case of Love Hina, so the more non-episodic a series is, the more chances of me continuing to read until reaching the end of the volume or maybe even starting the next one after that.

But if we're talking about speed, it takes me about 20 minutes to finish a 18-24 pages chapter, so about a minute per page.
Trytan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I say that I could read an average sized tankouben in 45 mins, but I do other stuff. I say, on average, I read 20 chapters a day, If I spend most of my time doing other stuff, maybe just 10. When I was really obsessed with Ranma 1/2, I read maybe...150 chapters in one day, but man I was goin' crazy on those books. I woke up and never stopped reading them.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Mine varies. I honestly can get through 4 volumes in an hours time because essentially skim read. I was on Planet Xynx's MSN Group and Mangarun.com reading all 5 volumes of Ai-ren, which was like 45 chapters. My personal record for reading "physical" and emanga is 18 in 1 day.
Otaku0013

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
I always have a bunch of manga in my "to read" pile. Some of it is manga I check out of my local library, some I borrow, and there are the series in my collection. I try to read two graphic novels a day, which takes no more than two hours.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Recently, I've only been able to get in 15 to 20 minutes of manga reading a day (usually during lunch at work), so I only get through 1 to 1.5 chapters in a given day. That'll stop soon as I have to go back to reading assignments for class during lunch, unfortunately.

When I really get the chance to sit down and read, I tend to go through about one volume per hour or hour and a half. If I have quite a few volumes of the same series, I might read up to 5 volumes in a day, but that's pretty rare. Usually, it's either 1 chapter or 1 volume to day, if that much. I've currently got 23 volumes waiting to be read on my shelf, not to mention the Kamikaze Girls novel and the stuff that I've got on preorder at Right Stuf.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:09 am Reply with quote
By volume for your average-sized manga, it takes 45 minutes to an hour, straight through. And I do a pretty good job of paying attention to all the artwork and everything the first time around. But if it's heavily action based, or has little dialogue, like X, it only takes about 20 minutes. But if it's a heavily text based or thought provoking series, like Death Note, it can take 2 hours or more.

Although, I've never counted my record for number of manga read in one day, it's probably well over 8. I know I've marathoned series before or read all teh manga that I had just bought in one sitting. Heh. And on a daily basis, the number of manga I read varies. It depends on classes, work, mood, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4