• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How many chapters do you read a day? {your reading pace]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I usually either A) Read a whole manga in one sitting or B) read about half way threw it just depends on where I am reading it and what else I am doing or suppose to be doing. If I am at home and just relaxing, taking a bath or something then I will usually read the whole thing but if I am reading on the bus/skytrain, etc then I usually only end up part way or halfway threw.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know exactly how many chapters per hour I can read, but if it's a volume of a series which I thoroughly enjoy, such as Death Note, I can finish it in about 2 hours. However, if it's a somewhat lame series, which fails to grab my attention, such as Busou Renkin (I found the anime is much better) then it could take a few weeks.
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I read a Volume in 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours. It's how about thick the book is and how much text is has. Some mangas you can really read fast...others not. But when I read a book I finished it in the day I began.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Because I don't have the money to feed my potential ability to mow through manga I usually hold myself to about 1-5 chapters a day and buy about 2-3 manga at one time (meaning around 3 to 15 chapters a day) . I've never read a manga at max speed before but I have read 1200 page novels in a matter of hours...I think my record is around 4-5 hours and that was probably like a year ago (which would make me 15 at that time). My typical pace is a 1000 page novel in a week or two at like 2 hours or so a day. I'm too lazy to figure out the math behind it but I read faster than a lot of people even at an average pace.
BaitoWare

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
So, I don't actually count the chapters, I count the manga volumes.[/quote]

Me too, but even less spacifically. Almost twice a week I'll borrow a manga from a friend early in the morning and see if I can finish it and give it back before I go home. For example, I can read Wall Flower between when I arrive at school and between fith and sixth period. But Yu Yu Hakashu might take me most of the bus ride home. And I would have to borrow Death Note for the night. But in general and especally with manga I am a pretty slow reader. (I sometimes can dwell up to 3 minits on a two page spread reading it over, analyzing it, and staring at the pretty pictures!)
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Just today, I read over 50 chps. in 14 manga volumes. I've read hundreds of manga volumes, titles, and over a thousand chapters.
x_echoedmemory

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't like to read that many chapters at a time, so maybe four or five chapters a day. If I read a whole lot of manga at once, my computer starts to lag from loading so many images. I like to pace myself.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
An hour, maybe, per manga? Usually I re-read the manga, unless it's absolutely terrible, so I can get a better feel for it and/or look at the art in more detail. But this can usully be done in an hour or so. I prefer reading manga by the volume.
Monumension

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
I have no constant pace really. On some days I can read 8-10 books in a row, but there are times I'm having trouble getting trough a single chapter in one week. Right now for example when I'm in a hectic period with exams and work I can't afford wasting too much time. There's a time for everything.
Reno-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm a really fast reader if I like what I'm reading. I'll easily finish 400 page books in a day, read 5 or so manga in a day, and when it's a new Harry Potter book I can read up to 800 pages in a day, but then I don't sleep...
However, if it's something less interesting (say...a text book), I'll struggle to read a few chapters.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I only buy from 1-2 manga series now... and they're released every 3-4 months. So, I take my sweet old time.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
But if it's heavily action based, or has little dialogue, like X, it only takes about 20 minutes. But if it's a heavily text based or thought provoking series, like Death Note, it can take 2 hours or more.

I agree - dialogue/art ratio makes a big difference in how fast you get through a manga, and that can vary wildly.

Personally, my average is about an hour and a half for a volume - and I don't rush because that would ruin the experience for me. Of course, if a chapter is devoted to characters I don't really like (which actually hasn't happened very often - usually a chapter has at least one character I care about if the manga caught my interest enough to buy it in the first place), I usually breeze through that and pay just enough attention to make sure I don't miss anything important; and I tend to slow down considerably if something important is happening to one or two of my favorite characters to let everything sink in. If it's a red-letter volume for one of my favorites, that can add a good half hour to my read.
mdauben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
If I sit down to read a manga, I will read the whole volume at one sitting. Reading a single volume takes me anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes (depending on how much dialog there is, and how much time I spend admiring the artwork) with about an hour being my average.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Well since all the Manga that I buy at my local Anime store is either $4.95 or $7.95, I buy about 3-4 volumes at a time, and read them all in one or two days. So let's break that down into how many chapters and how many pages.

Keep in mind that I just started buying Manga:

Akira, Vol. 1 - 334 pages
Akira, Vol. 2 - 304 pages
Akira, Vol. 3 - 282 pages

Even though I have the special collector's edition DVD, but like every other person who says they enjoy manga over the anime, the same goes for this as well. The drawings are breath taking, they capture so much emotion and movement, yet they're still images, absolutely amazing. Needless to say, I read these 3 volumes in two days time.

More is on the way, Cool
Tage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote
I can go through an entire manga in one sitting... I'm not exactly a die-hard fan of the ones I'm currently reading, but I do enjoy reading.

Now if only I could afford more Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4