• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Announces New Manga Licenses at NYCC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Repackaging of Gyo and Uzumaki? Ugh, no thanks. Ito is easily overrated, and outside of that second short in the last volume of Gyo, none of his stuff really has impressed me. I'm sure they will sell well enough, though.

... THOUGH MIGHT THIS BE A SIGN OF REVIVING OTHER MANGA BLACK JACK, EVEN A MONKEY A MONKEY CAN DRAW MANGA, THE LEGEND OF KAMUI, NO. 5, URUSEI YATSURA, AND VOYEURS, INC.? PROBABLY NOT, BUT I CAN DREAM.

Anyway, that aside, the only one that I'm familiar with is Gintama, a shounen series that I will be checking out since it's apparently a sort of absurd comedy/parody in a similar likeness to Yakitate!! Japan, and I've heard a few good things about it from people I trust when it comes to tastes akin to mine. Might look into Hoshin Engi as well, since a lot of people are clamoring about it... Outside of that, nothing else right now, because while Pretty Face is better than it should be, it's not worth it in my mind to buy it, and I don't know anything about the shoujo titles listed here.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Togari is the only one of those three in the encylcopedia at the moment and I don't see any mention of it being in the news before. The other two don't seem to be there at all. So I guess those three are actually new titles.

Feels like Yu Yu Hakusho except with better art. Might look into it.

Quote:
Someone elsewher mentioned Yurara is shojo (which I assumed, based on the way the titles are listed) but I'm not sure where Togari and Portus fall.

Portus is a horror manga.

Quote:
People getting involved in TV game "Portus" die a mystery death. What is the truth? This pure horror manga is frightening and painful.

I suspect that it's going into Viz's Signature line... Is that where they're going to put ALL of their horror titles from now on?

barbapapa wrote:
And if there's anything we don't need it's more Jump titles.

We're probably gonna have ten or so shounen titles to every manga that will be placed in their Signature line... And that's only the reprints. I'm not even thinking about when we are going to get a new manga in it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Yes, I found this out on the AoD forums.

Quote:
Quote:
People getting involved in TV game "Portus" die a mystery death. What is the truth? This pure horror manga is frightening and painful.

I suspect that it's going into Viz's Signature line... Is that where they're going to put ALL of their horror titles from now on?

I expect so unless its very light horror. I can't think of anything specific, but I recently read some scanlations of a one-volume collection of some shojo 'horror' stories and I expect that type of thing, if it was ever licensed, to go under the SB label, likewise if there was a shonen equivalent.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:

I'd really like to see Viz do more for the kid and adult audiences with manga. I speak for myself when I say I'd like to see Gantz and Doraemon make the leap over here, but they both have difficulties doing that. Gantz is filled with sex and violence and Dallas from Del Rey told me that the widow of the creator of Doraemon, who basically owns the rights to the series, doesn't want it to come out in the U.S.A. unless it's as big as Pokemon.

Since it is impossible to make that kind of guarantee, it will never come over. That absolutely makes no sense to me, but the Japanese often do things that blow my mind.

LightYagami wrote:

Personally, I'd rather see Dark Horse license Gantz because at least Dark Horse won't censor it. I would hate to think what viz would have done to Berserk and Hellsing if they ever got the license, and even that thought alone makes me shudder.

What makes you think Dark Horse won't censor a title? Dark Horse censored the smeg (even removing pages) from the dark and disturbing Narutaru (which they named Shadow Star if memory serves). That's an 18+ title if I ever saw one. I can't say more because of spoilers, but lets just say there is extreme violence, underaged nudity, underaged sex, underaged rape, brutal killings, and that's just for a start (and to think it starts out looking like some shoujo manga with a Pocket Monster or Digimon twist).

So yeah, DH will self-censor a title, big time (and as heavily as it was edited, I wondered why they bothered to license it at all).

As to the license announcement by Viz, none of these are on my wish list.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The only titles they ever censored, as far as I know, were part of their Super Manga Blast (or whatever it was called) magazine. With Narutaru, at least, they were taken by suprise since it got increasingly dark and graphic as the series went along and they didn't know about it when they licensed it years before. I don't think they had that excuse with Cannon God Exxaxion but I believe that is the only other title they've ever censored.

It's safe to say that if they get a title like Gantz, which is full of violence, sex, and nudity from the beginning and is clearly only for older audiences, they won't censor it.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:

barbapapa wrote:
And if there's anything we don't need it's more Jump titles

Of course we do Wink

Yes we do indeed. Wink Just because he doesn't like SJ doesn't mean that the rest of us don't either. I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't like SJ, but there are obviously a whole lot of people that do (me included), and those people (like myself) would love to see more SJ titles released.

Besides, from my understanding, Viz has the license to SJ in the first place, so naturally they are going to release as many SJ titles as they can, whether you like it or not. I for one, and I'm sure there are a whole lot of other people that agree, love it, so there are no problems here.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
It is exceptionally unlikely that Dark Horse will censor any manga ever again considering what we have in Berserk and the upcoming MPD Psycho, unless the manga-ka authorizes and demands the changes originally, similar to DH's new editions of Crying Freeman.

BrothersElric wrote:
digitalkikka wrote:

barbapapa wrote:

Of course we do Wink

Yes we do indeed. Wink Just because he doesn't like SJ doesn't mean that the rest of us don't either. I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't like SJ, but there are obviously a whole lot of people that do (me included), and those people (like myself) would love to see more SJ titles released.

It's not that they continue to license shounen titles like 'em, but that they neglect their Signature line in favor of 'em. I like some shounen series, sure, but that Viz is continuing just to license things to get a quick buck or two versus the practice of what other companies have done in terms of longevity like, say, Dark Horse, they really aren't reaching out and acknowledging those of us who want more mature manga. Yes, we're an even more niche market, but dammit, we'd like to have some selection as well.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
digitalkikka wrote:

barbapapa wrote:

Of course we do Wink

Besides, from my understanding, Viz has the license to SJ in the first place, so naturally they are going to release as many SJ titles as they can, whether you like it or not. I for one, and I'm sure there are a whole lot of other people that agree, love it, so there are no problems here.

Euhm excuse me, there are a fair share of SJ titles that I do like and buy. But I honestly don't think we need all of them; when you see how poorly represented other magazines are in comparison.

Last edited by barbapapa on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote

'Nuff said.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I think that for you people who really want to see certain series get released here, you should send an e-mail or letter to Viz telling them your suggestions or just talk to them at a convention. I know Viz isconsidering Mr. Fullswing and Neuro I believe needs some time since it's been around for only a little above 100 chapters. There's just so many series of different types for Viz to consider, and there are at least a few series not mentioned here I'd like to see under the Shonen Jump line (Sexy Commando and Mazinger Z are two off the top of my head. Mazinger Z might be better for the Signature line, but it was still published in the Weekly Shonen Jump.)
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see Jaguar Licensed before Sexy Commando, but since Bobobo bombed, I think that pretty much killed it for any gag mangas that are as random.
domino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
I think we should start a petition for Neuro to get licensed.

I'd sign. :P (though I have a feeling a five-signature petition isn't going to get anywhere). Too bad I don't think detective anime/manga are very popular in the US... but the thing is that I don't really like detective stories either, but can't resist Neuro's evil twist on the genre.

Nice work making a Viz-style manga cover for it :P Though I personally wouldn't call it "Private evil-eye Nougami Neuro"... ;P I'm too literal, so I'd go with "Braineating Demon Detective Neuro" .... wait, that's so literal it's kind of creepy... T_T
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. It took me like two hours.. Anime cry Oh well. I just sent this e-mail to Viz.

"There is a manga series in Japan that currently is running in Weekly Shonen Jump called Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. I am very interested in this series after I read fan translation online. The series is very popular in Japan. I was wondering if you were considering the localization and distribution of this series. It has a very interesting style. This would work as a good series to replace Death Note, due to the 12th and final volume coming out later this month. I think this would be a good series for people who enjoyed the mind games of Death Note. This would be a good series to consider putting on your Shonen Jump Advance line.

Also, I would love to see the localization of other Jump series such as Hell Teacher Nube, Puyu to Fuku Jagaur, Kochikame, and Sakigake Otojuku. Please consider the titles I listed (Especially Neuro). Thank you for your time."

All of you send Neuro wanting letters right now! Very Happy
Canuckian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Haha, GinTama is being serialized in American Shonen Jump as we speak, with the first volume concluding in the April issue if Memory Serves(According to their GinTama title page in SJ their only serializing the first volume). Infact it's been a monthly since December...
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
That is very ironic, because I remember that Jason Thompson wanted Viz to bring out Jojo back in 2002 and they told him the same thing..and now it is finally out. Gee that would suck having to wait 5-6 years later if that happens with Gantz.

Actually I am not sure why they would make such a excuse when they do have titles (like Golgo 13 and Jojo) with sex and violence (some ultra). They could just put it under a plastic wrapper.

firecrouch wrote:

As for Gantz, I'm surprised and not so surprised it hasn't been released in America. Yes, it's a popular series that's been released in other countries, that's been scanlated by multiple groups and conversely read by many fans (including me), and when ADV released the anime version here it sold really well. But facts are facts, and when I went to a Del Rey manga focus group in August last year Dallas Middaugh couldn't have put it any better. He said that a couple of years ago when he was working at Viz they looked at Gantz and decided not to release it. Why? Because it's filled with explicit violence, but more importantly it has more sex scenes than what we usually see in North American manga releases. They're not any more explicit than something that's on an NC-17 level, but anyone who's read it will tell you they get pretty close to pushing the limit. I'm sure that Dark Horse, who's a perfect match for Gantz, would love to publish it uncut, and from a little conversation I had with a Tokyopop editor I bet they would too, but the problem is that Gantz is a Shueisha title, a high-profile one. And Shueisha already has an American subsidiary to work through: Viz. So that makes the chances of getting Gantz out to the North American buyers even harder, because it's a Shueisha series, and I don't think Dark Horse or Tokyopop would want to go through all that trouble when it would probably be easier to sell a discontinued series from the back-catalogue of ADV manga or Gutsoon. Still, out of all the unlicensed seinen titles with an American fanbase, Gantz has one of the highest , if not the highest, demands for an American release, so I wouldn't give up hope.

------------------------------

Wow I hope that is shopped because that is a crappy cover with crap art.

Super Ska Master wrote:
*image*

'Nuff said.

[EDIT: Do not quote images, it needlessly adds page loading time for people with slow connections. Do not double-post, either. Use the Edit button. ~Zalis]
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Is there a possibility of Viz censoring Ichigo 100% like they did with I's? I haven't read either series, but they seem similar (at least more similar to each other than Naruto or One Piece). I don't want to get it if it's as censored as I's apparently is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5