• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Professional News and Social Networking site Launches for U.S. Anime Fans

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:20 am Reply with quote
This site is promising except there's one teensy problem that's preventing it from becoming as popular as MySpace; social-networking wise... It's not open for some reason to people who live outside North America which I think is a crying shame as this would be the perfect site for anime and manga fans from all over the world to meet up and make friends...
irishninja

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I agree completely!

Also, doesn't ANN already fill this need? And ANN is a third-party venture and not beholden to any one company.

I wish them luck, but having just visited the site my first impression is that it has the same visual insanity as Tokyopop's new site. I'll stick with ANN's simple and easy-to-read interface, thanks.
crilix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
After a quick look over one of their topics, I wish animeOnline a fast and painless death.

As it was said in the first post, aO doesn't allow participation from users outside of North America. Rob Bricken, the Editor-in-Chief of animeOnline responded to one forum topic asking about this matter. He said that this is indeed a licensing issue, which just sends their "independence" right down the toilette. Does this mean some of us checked out the site based on false advertising?

And yes, I completely agree that communities such as AnimeNewsNetwork, AnimeOnDVD, "blogospheres" and others already fill most, if not all of the needs of the internet fandom. Rob should've just started a nation-wide offline anime club. Much more profitable, innovative, and less outrageous.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
A MyAnime? Interesting. I used to be part of AnimeCircle but haven't been there in a long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1