• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Rant

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Why did this get rated so high? I honestly can't see anything in this series that gives it the right to be more popular than any of the other titles in Shonen Jump. The art style is just plain awful. The ugly and lame character designs compliment the poor art. The story is just generic Shonen Faire. Play shonen madlib and you get One Piece's plot.

A young hero wants to be the best 1. [insert popular character class here] so he sets out on an epic journy to find a legendary 2. [insert item here] that will make him 3. [insert highest rank of character class here].

1. Pirate
2. Treasure
3. King of the Pirates

The same can be said about another anime in the same league as One Piece: Naruto. Although, Naruto remedies some of the genericness of the series with halfway decent art, good character designs, oh and the battles and characters are actually cool in some way. My next point is that One Piece just lacks the cool factor that other Shonen series offer. Luffy is a complete moron who has no common sense and would be killed in an instant without his lame stretching ability. Zorro is the only character that is sort of cool, but still. He is just a carbon copy swordman in every anime. And why does he use a sword in his MOUTH? How would that possibly help him fight? Ussop and Chopper are the worst characters in the series. Ussop himself is just plain annoying and unlikeable. His nose just looks plain ugly. Chopper is probably the lamest "mascot" character I have ever seen in a Shonen series (Kon from Bleach, Devilbat from Eyeshield, Dengakuman from Bobob, etc.). I mean, come on, people. He is a reindeer with a pink hat. That is just plain lame. This series is truely an example that anyone will take any series with a long length and claim it is the greatest thing ever made.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Personally I love the art style and character designs in One Piece, I find them much more interesting then Naruto's . Personally for me One Piece has a great sense of adventure and doesn't take it's self to seriously and that's what I like about it. I like Naruto but I just don't find it as much fun as One Piece. Everyone has different tastes, that's just what it comes down to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I guess I just find myself turned off because I just can't really find a way to like the characters. I mean, I basically have given every Shonen Jump titles that is in the game Jump Ultimate Stars a look due to my obsession with it. I have seen all the major Jump series. Naruto, Death Note, Bleach, DBZ, Saint Seiya (I am currently watching and I am finding it is rather boring...), Fist of the North Star, Bobobobobo, etc. Now out of all of these series, the only ones I don't really like are One Piece, Dr. Slump (I can't stand that damn show....It's the most horrible anime I've ever watched), DBZ (It was good as a kid, but I've moved on =/), and so far Saint Seiya (I am only on episode 8 so I am hoping it will get less boring as I get farther). (Note: some series such as Luckyman, Hell Teacher Nube, Jungle King Taa-chan, Sakigake Otojuku, and a few others had no fansubs or scanlations so I couldn't check em out). I am a huge Shonen jump nut. I love the stuff. I just find OP to be a great deal worst than all the series I saw.

Rundown of Jump series I've seen (To show I know my Shonen):

Eyeshield 21 Ep. 1-47+Movie
Ichigo 100% Ep. 1-12+OVAs
Reborn Eps. 1-5 + Vol. 1-2
Gintama Eps. 1-18
Space Adventure Cobra Eps 1-19
Shaman King Entire TV Series
Jojo OVAs
Saint Seiya 1-8 (Still working on it)
D.Gray-man Vol. 1-4 + Eps 1-20
Death Note Vol. 1-9 + Eps. 1-19
Prince of Tennis Eps. 1-28
DBZ Eps. (Right before Super Buu Showed up.)
Naruto Vol. 1-12
Ninku Eps. 1-9
Hunter X Hunter Entire TV series + OVAs
Black Cat Vol. 1-6 + Eps. 1-26
Bleach Eps. 1-119
Hoshin Engi TV series
Fist of the north Star Ep. 1-9
Bobobobo eps 1-30
Neuro: 2 chapters
Muhyo: 2 chapters
Yu-gi-oh Eps. 1-18 (1st series)
Yu yu hakusho whole tv series
Kenshin vol. 1-28
Jaguar: 2 chapters
Rokushinshi blues: 2 chapters
One Piece ep. 1-14 (Couldn't stomach any more)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
Why did this get rated so high? I honestly can't see anything in this series that gives it the right to be more popular than any of the other titles in Shonen Jump. The art style is just plain awful. The ugly and lame character designs compliment the poor art. The story is just generic Shonen Faire. Play shonen madlib and you get One Piece's plot.

I agree with you that it is a typical shonen manga. But think of OP as a hit like Dragon Ball, plus the fact that it's influeces draw from DB. Oda Eiichiro put down a story, and to this point has given fantastic backgrounds to characters and events that get a thorough explanation, which makes the reader want to know why people do what they do in One Piece.

Quote:
My next point is that One Piece just lacks the cool factor that other Shonen series offer. Luffy is a complete moron who has no common sense and would be killed in an instant without his lame stretching ability. Zorro is the only character that is sort of cool, but still. He is just a carbon copy swordman in every anime. And why does he use a sword in his MOUTH? How would that possibly help him fight? Ussop and Chopper are the worst characters in the series. Ussop himself is just plain annoying and unlikeable. His nose just looks plain ugly. Chopper is probably the lamest "mascot" character I have ever seen in a Shonen series (Kon from Bleach, Devilbat from Eyeshield, Dengakuman from Bobob, etc.). I mean, come on, people. He is a reindeer with a pink hat. That is just plain lame. This series is truely an example that anyone will take any series with a long length and claim it is the greatest thing ever made.

Yes Luffy is a bit empty headed, but if he weren't rubber and he were dead, then what's the whole point to the story? I think a three sword user is pretty cool, because how often do you see that? But, you'd be surprised as Zoro starts to fight without having to use that third sword here and there, and he even has a move that involves one sword. Ussop, Ussop's methods are questionable, but he would be butt of the jokes, to be honest. Chopper did not come into the series until volume 15, but he has proven to be a funny and enjoyable character, and it's fun to watch him learn what "being human" is about.
I notice that in your criticism of the OP characters, you failed to mention, Sanji, Nami, and Robin. So how far into the series have you read? I think that the art in OP is drawn well, and the fights scenes are always something to look forward. This crew has to go some very rough roads, yet they pull through together because they are what they are, and they trust each other. If there's no trust, they wouldn't be the crew that they are.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quote
I think One Piece is a great Shonen Story and would be more popular here if 4kids never got the anime. I love everything about the it: the story, the art, and the characters. All three make it so great.

brand wrote:
Personally I love the art style and character designs in One Piece, I find them much more interesting then Naruto's . Personally for me One Piece has a great sense of adventure and doesn't take it's self to seriously and that's what I like about it. I like Naruto but I just don't find it as much fun as One Piece. Everyone has different tastes, that's just what it comes down to.

This is why I like it so much. The whole carefree attitude of the straw hats traveling from place to place on the merry go makes the series so enjoyable. Also all the power's and abilties the characters have makes it more interesting too. I like Naruto as well but Naruto can get pretty serious. With One Piece you never really see it getting to serious and can enjoy the adventures of the straw hats.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:46 am Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
A young hero wants to be the best 1. [insert popular character class here] so he sets out on an epic journy to find a legendary 2. [insert item here] that will make him 3. [insert highest rank of character class here].

1. Pirate
2. Treasure
3. King of the Pirates

For someone that claims to be a big shonen fan, why would you disapprove of this formula?

Anyway, One Piece isn't my favorite but I never found it that bad. I originally was put off by the character designs, but after reading some of the manga, I think the art is pretty impressive. I also found it makes creative use of its formulaic plot. And since you mentioned it, I have to say I find Naruto infinitely better and don't think they're really comparable.

Quote:
My next point is that One Piece just lacks the cool factor that other Shonen series offer

I don't know, pirates are pretty cool if you ask me Wink Just not as cool as ninja.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I have great distaste for One Piece. As the OP said, I think it's typical shonen, yet its fans elevate it as if it were the greatest thing ever. It feels stale to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
I have great distaste for One Piece. As the OP said, I think it's typical shonen, yet its fans elevate it as if it were the greatest thing ever. It feels stale to me.

And other shounen fans don't do that?

One Piece is my favorite shounen behind Fullmetal Alchemist and just ahead of Yakitate!! Japan. It's art is by far more unique and varied than most of the shounen genre, though people dislike it's "cartoony" look. Still, you can tell that Oda likes to draw his work and his energy shows in the art.

And yes, One Piece does use conventions of the shounen genre, but no more than any other series, really. The fact that it remains fresh after four hundred-some chapters without a meandering direcition like Naruto and doesn't rehash previous arcs unlike Bleach raises it significantly above the other two "exceptionally popular" shounen series. Oda is also quite good at storytelling with simple but multiple themes thrown in, and the character development is equally solid.

Personally I'd say that those who don't like One Piece at all... well, I'd just not say. Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
The truth of the matter is, Oda threw it out into Shonen Jump, and the people of Japan made their decision, based on the fact that the series is funny, has action, serious moments that touches on the characters, and the story dives in enough to bring the reader into the story and to feel for the characters. You can't change the fact that it's popular, like Naruto and Bleach, but the series has 44 volumes (45 on the way) and it's still going strong. Personally I would really like to see this series go very far, and I think that it has the potential to go up to volume 60, if not 70.
BWSUQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
To the OP: You listed that you only saw the first 14 episodes...I felt the same as you for the first 20-25 episodes. But once I got beyond Luffy's fight when he was trying to get Sanji (episode 30ish???) I became hooked and breezed through the rest of the episodes up to the current ones out now. Does that mean it is the best ever...no. There were still episodes where I just half-paid attention because they were filler or boring. Or there were times that too much dialogue was needlessly taking place. But, overall, if you can get through Sanji's arc and still think it is lame, then don't waste your time. It didn't catch me until about that time and all in all it is a good series w/ a lot of memorable moments.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
BWSUQ wrote:
To the OP: You listed that you only saw the first 14 episodes...I felt the same as you for the first 20-25 episodes. But once I got beyond Luffy's fight when he was trying to get Sanji (episode 30ish???) I became hooked and breezed through the rest of the episodes up to the current ones out now. Does that mean it is the best ever...no. There were still episodes where I just half-paid attention because they were filler or boring. Or there were times that too much dialogue was needlessly taking place. But, overall, if you can get through Sanji's arc and still think it is lame, then don't waste your time. It didn't catch me until about that time and all in all it is a good series w/ a lot of memorable moments.

Wait a second, episodes? What are we talking about here, the anime or the manga?
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The truth of the matter is, Oda threw it out into Shonen Jump, and the people of Japan made their decision, based on the fact that the series is funny, has action, serious moments that touches on the characters, and the story dives in enough to bring the reader into the story and to feel for the characters. You can't change the fact that it's popular, like Naruto and Bleach, but the series has 44 volumes (45 on the way) and it's still going strong. Personally I would really like to see this series go very far, and I think that it has the potential to go up to volume 60, if not 70.

I'd love to see it go that high too. 70 volumes wouldnt really too long or a problem consdering One Piece being a adventure manga. Its the kind of story that can keep going by keep having the crew travel to different places in their ship and have new adventures. I think that is what maks One Piece so enjoyable. Thats why I liked it ever since chapter 1 unlike Naruto that took a few shonen jumps to fully get into.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:

Actually a lot of what Luffy does is very uncovenrtional, thus this offend lead to the humor and drama of One Piece. Sometimes you expect him to do a certain thing like save the day but he doesn't which then usually lead to better result. And One Piece's art is anything but conventional shounen.

You just need an open mind when reading one Piece because it's more unique than the other popular shounen lately. Stop taking it so seriously.

Quote:
Luffy is a complete moron who has no common sense and would be killed in an instant without his lame stretching ability.

That's kind of the gimmick to the series. Just like the popular series GTO, where Onizuka is view as a moron and irrational, but you have a sense that he know what he's doing despite the bumpkin antics. The cool and rational character you're looking for in One Pice is Zoro, and his relationship to Luffy usually lead to very comical conversation.

Quote:

Come on it's a action shounen jump title, what are you looking for? The concept is the similar, but the execution is different as mention by the unique character you describe: Usop and Chopper. Ironic.

It's just that you have a bias against one piece, so it's easy to find fault for it. The same can be said for any series though.

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Yoshball

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:22 am Reply with quote
I found One Piece to be more deep than most shounen series. The research Oda puts into his stories makes them a historical treat. He named many of his characters after real pirates. Many of the attack names are derived from other languages and non-Japanese cultural references, which is always fun to try to figure out where it is from.

Apart from the deep things, I like the art and the character designs. The character development is probably the best thing about series. Once you got through some of the beginning set up pieces, the rest of the story was great.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, it took 300 chapters (exactly, actually) to decide if I loved or just 'liked' One Piece. I had always found it an enjoyable series, but wasn't sure if I could call it a favorite for the longest time until I read much further into the series and allowed the characters to really grow on me. It's not my favorite shonen, but it's definetly something I would continue to read for the next few years, or even longer. It's highly imaginative, and uses the shonen formula to strengthen, rather than weaken it. The only thing I dislike about it is how incredibly long some of the fights are. I mean, the battles for Water 7 took up the whole last year! I'm not sure whether these are more annoying to read all at once, or week by week. In my opinion, One Piece is at its best when the characters are not fighting but rather, exploring worlds and meeting interesting characters. It's during these segments that I think the author really shows just how limitless his imagination is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3