• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Winners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

At least Akira didn't win for best comedy series! Shocked Laughing

I'm disappointed.

Me too. I really wanted to see Geneon's acceptance speech for that award. Twisted Evil Laughing
whiteknight90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope when they edit this stuff they can make it a bit more cohesive. I have to admit, I was bored with it. I's still trying to figure out some of the nominations. If it was supposd to be for releases in 2006, shouldn't it have been for releases for just 2006, not rereleases and releases. Ranma 1/2? FLCL? Akira? I think they were chose just to fill in space. Granted FLCL did win an award.

And what was up with the Best Package Design? That catagory should not be on next year's ballot. It's rather pointless in my opinion.
intrance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
Good to see this is nothing more than any other awards show...geeez. Ok Ok i get it fullmetal is good woop de doo. Be glad when that craze is gone.
anifreak1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
I must say, I guess I'm ok with the results. I mean, it being the first one and all.

Best Cast: Fullmetal Alchemist Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Best Manga: Fruits Basket Very Happy Very Happy
    Best Male Actor in a Comedy: Dave Wittenberg (Zatch Bell) Very Happy
    Best Actress in a Comedy: Debi Derriberry (Zatch Bell) Very Happy
    Best Theme Song: Rewrite (Fullmetal Alchemist) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Best Anime Feature: Final Fantasy 7 - Advent Children Smile
    Best Package Design: Fullmetal Alchemist Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Best Anime Comedy: FLCL Very Happy Very Happy
    Best Actress: Mary Elizabeth (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG) Very Happy
    Best Anime Short Series: FLCL Very Happy Very Happy
    Best Anime Long Series: Fullmetal Alchemist Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Lifetime Achievement Award: Peter Fernandez.

I just hope that next time, they'll have more options. I won't say better, because then that would be saying that they weren't good this year, and a bunch of them were. I'm just saying that we should have more variety in the future. (although if they have FMA on teh list again, no doubt I'll vote for that *giggle*)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
It pretty much ended up as I figured it would, a popularity contest. Best feature is FF7:AC? Give me a break, even for the apologists who argue its merits there is no way it's best. I really hope they rethink the way this is done in the future, the current method is all about what's popular and nothing else which makes the rewards basically meaningless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anifreak1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
Very rue. But you have to admit, for the first it was ok.

I dont' really agree with the FF award, but that's because I didn't vote for it. I haven't even seen it yet. Heck, I haven't seen ANY of the Final Fantasy movies yet. I'm planning on it though. I WANTED FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST TO WIN! Crying or Very sad I do agree though. It was more of a popularity contest, but hey...what did you expect. I was kinda expecting that, but at the same time hoping that people would actaully vote like they would in something more serioius. Not that I don't think that Anime isn't' a serious matter, I just think that there are more important things out there. Like for me, Anime is somethign I can relate to, and use to relax (which I do contstantly so you can pretty much imagine how much I watch and read just from that), but enough about that. The voters should have taken it a bit more seriously. That's the point.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
It was not a banner year for anime, but this would not be my choices, on any of them.
anifreak1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna pretend I didn't see that last part of the sentence. BECAUSE I'M A TOTAL FMA FANATIC! Seriously, I'm just totally in LOVE with EDWARD! But I agree. It wasn't really the bestyear for anime, but the did release some pretty good games and movies.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
(Gerald)
You know, from reading some of these posts I get the impression that some people actually believe these awards have actually got any credibility whatsoever. I mean, Advent Children won for best feature, and it was up against Akira.

OK, let me lay this down: Akira is a movie that is 20 years old and still has relevance in today's anime fandom. That PROVES it's a better movie than popcorn entertainment like Advent Children. The decision has already been made well ahead of time, yet people have to vote for their favorite rather than something that actually has earned the right to win.

Oh, and for the heck of it let me just put up a list of movies that should have been on the list:
    Wings of Honneamise
    Patlabor 2
    Jin-Roh
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Millenium Actress
    Memories
    Barefoot Gen

Were ANY of those even on the list even those they were all eligible? Nope. It's no wonder that anime cannot be taken seriously when a Pokemon movie is considered one of the finest anime movies available.

See, we could easily predict the winners of these awards since it all was a popularity contest and when you've got a popularity contest, what wins is usually not the worst, but it's far from the best. Take, for example, the winner of Best Manga, Fruits Basket.

Sure, Fruits Basket isn't a bad manga, but considering that ANY manga that was available was up for considering, Fruits Basket cannot hold a candle to works like Phoenix, Ode to Kirihito, Adolf, or the like. And were any of those on the list? Nope.

This awards ceremony is just ridiculous and is an absolute joke.

All this really comes down to is for companies to be able to stick a sticker on the front of their DVDs or manga saying "Winner of Best Manga At the American Anime Awards" and the problem is that idiots will actually take that as some sort of indicator of quality.

There is so much wrong with these awards that it's sort of a joke and I would like to believe that they can see how pointless and stupid they are to being with and just stop at one year but I don't really see that happening.

anifreak1 wrote:
I agree, but even if they post a This is NOT a Popularity Contest! label on it, it won't make a difference.

(Daryl)
Well, if they posted that claim they'd be lying, because the entire problem with these so-called awards is that they are, in fact, a popularity contest.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anifreak1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree, but even if they post a This is NOT a Popularity Contest! label on it, it won't make a difference. Peopl will still vote for the one that they like the best. I don't really like it much, ut you di have to give some of the one's they put on teh list some credit.

Pokemon is a classic, and so is Akira and Ranma 1/2. And those are just a few. Not all of the ones on the list a new. One of the new one that won more than on award was FullMetal Alchemist, and that's a really good series. I'm not just saying that because it's my FAVORITE sHOW IN THE WORLD, I'm saying it because it's true. I mean, more thatn 3 years running! Actaully, I think it's been like about 4-5 years, but that much time has to mean something!
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
At least Akira didn't win for best comedy series! Shocked Laughing

That would have been surprising, since it wasn't nominated as best comedy series.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I was at the event; I walked in being extremely skeptical and came out of it feeling pretty good about it.

While people tend to act like it is the onus of any awards ceremony to find some magical middle-ground winner that everyone can be happy with - and that the purpose of any awards ceremony is somehow to proclaim universally that one film/TV show/album is "better" than the rest - these things are not true.

Just as with the Golden Globes or the Academy Awards or the People's Choice awards, it's just one group of people recognizing what they feel is excellence. That Fullmetal Alchemist won "Best Long Series" at the American Anime Awards does not mean that the sentiment you should walk away with is that somehow there's this magical all-knowing, all-seeing governing body that has decided that FMA is the best series ever, and if you disagree, you're wrong.

It's just an awards ceremony. This one was voted on by fans, which, like the People's Choice awards, means it is more of a popularity contest. So to those expressing some disappointment - what were you expecting? Akira is recognized as a seminal work but this is a popularity contest, and Final Fantasy VII is more popular than Akira, so it won. You knew that going in.

What struck me most about the ceremony was that it wasn't embarrassing or terrible; a lot of people were expecting a train wreck and what we got was a (very) small-scale Golden Globes that managed to marry a little class and dignity with an industry that is not particularly known for trumpeting those qualities. Yeah, there were lame teleprompter jokes, but that's to be expected. I rolled my eyes at the typical awards ceremony platitudes espoused by the presenters, but I do that at the Golden Globes or the Oscars too. It really was no different, except this time I knew most of the people who won and I was genuinely happy for them.

The biggest problem with this whole thing is that they decided to include the entire history of anime released in America. It's like if suddenly every film ever made was elligible for next year's Academy Awards; the options are so vast it is literally impossible to choose the best candidates. We have been told that next year's ceremony will narrow the field. That's a good move; people would likely be less upset if only anime series released or were ongoing or first broadcast in 2006 were nominated. Maybe next year.

Was it flawed? Absolutely. But it wasn't a bad thing, and it was nice to see these people get recognized by their fans and peers for the work they do. There are plenty of bumps to be ironed out, and every single year there will be nonstop bitching about what won (please see every other awards ceremony ever for examples of this in action) but personally, I thought it was a success. But then, at the risk of sounding smug, my expectations of the event and what it really meant and what was actually happening may have been a little more realistic than some.
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
(Gerald)
You know, from reading some of these posts I get the impression that some people actually believe these awards have actually got any credibility whatsoever. I mean, Advent Children won for best feature, and it was up against Akira.

OK, let me lay this down: Akira is a movie that is 20 years old and still has relevance in today's anime fandom. That PROVES it's a better movie than popcorn entertainment like Advent Children. The decision has already been made well ahead of time, yet people have to vote for their favorite rather than something that actually has earned the right to win.

Oh, and for the heck of it let me just put up a list of movies that should have been on the list:
    Wings of Honneamise
    Patlabor 2
    Jin-Roh
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Millenium Actress
    Memories
    Barefoot Gen

Were ANY of those even on the list even those they were all eligible? Nope. It's no wonder that anime cannot be taken seriously when a Pokemon movie is considered one of the finest anime movies available.

See, we could easily predict the winners of these awards since it all was a popularity contest and when you've got a popularity contest, what wins is usually not the worst, but it's far from the best. Take, for example, the winner of Best Manga, Fruits Basket.

Sure, Fruits Basket isn't a bad manga, but considering that ANY manga that was available was up for considering, Fruits Basket cannot hold a candle to works like Phoenix, Ode to Kirihito, Adolf, or the like. And were any of those on the list? Nope.

This awards ceremony is just ridiculous and is an absolute joke.

All this really comes down to is for companies to be able to stick a sticker on the front of their DVDs or manga saying "Winner of Best Manga At the American Anime Awards" and the problem is that idiots will actually take that as some sort of indicator of quality.

There is so much wrong with these awards that it's sort of a joke and I would like to believe that they can see how pointless and stupid they are to being with and just stop at one year but I don't really see that happening.

anifreak1 wrote:
I agree, but even if they post a This is NOT a Popularity Contest! label on it, it won't make a difference.

(Daryl)
Well, if they posted that claim they'd be lying, because the entire problem with these so-called awards is that they are, in fact, a popularity contest.

Ha ha, plenty of Oshii and Kon in that list. But I certainly agree with you, and I hope this whole "Anime Awards," goes away soon, or gains some kind of actual credibilty.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad they had some class and had a well put together but honestly until it's more than a popularity contest I could care less. What was I expecting? I was expecting it to be exactly what it was. The ceremony may have been nice, I'll grant you that because I wasn't there to witness it, but it is an awards ceremony and ultimately it is the awards that matter. I'd rather see an awards ceremony judged on artistic merit in which all comers have a a shot, popular or not, than an award ceremony that's nothing more than a glorified popularity contest.

They can add red carpets, champagne, ice sculptures and all the class they want. Until these awards are actually judged based on actual merits by people with the background to support their position it will continue to be a joke to me. Glad you had a good time though.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'd rather see an awards ceremony judged on artistic merit in which all comers have a a shot, popular or not, than an award ceremony that's nothing more than a glorified popularity contest.

So would I. But that isn't what they did.

Of course I'd rather see an awards ceremony that isn't voted on based on mass online fan voting. And maybe someday we'll see that happen. But not now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5