• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spiriting Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Great column this time around, especially considering you were suffering from the plague while writing it. Both Shelf Worthy titles this time around are DVDs I'm genuinely interested in collecting. I heard about The Taste of Tea a few months ago and it sounds exactly like my cup of tea (no pun intended). I love weird, eccentric movies with meandering plots, so this film is right up my alley. And I love all thing Leiji Matsumoto, so Galaxy Railways is a no-brainer. I saw the first two episodes a few years ago and loved them, so now it'll be nice to see the rest of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
kittycatgirl2k wrote:
For some reason the new format of Shelf Life still confuses me though. It was easier to read when it was Keepers on the top, Rentals in the middle, perishables on the bottom and underneath that any oddities (like live action movies). That was easier to read. Now i keep having to look at the weird color strip coding thing to figure out if Im looking at something that got a thumbs up, down or indifference. Blegh.

Well, the color strips are pretty easy actually, just think of hot and cold. Cold is obviously bad and hot is good. The red strip is hot, those are good and the blue is cold so they're bad. Purple is a combination of the two so it sits in the middle. The strips are easy to use and the article flows from top to bottom, ultimately I think the format works really well as a result.

On a side note I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who's seen, or cares about, Origin, heh.

Last edited by Keonyn on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
One a side note I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who's seen, or cares about, Origin, heh.

I'm going to be the second. Netflix will be sending me a copy of the movie today. I hope to receive it by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
And "A Taste of Tea" is going to see the light of day in the States? Wow. Never thought anyone would take that risk. I imported the R2 DVD ages ago (it has English subtitles) thinking that I'd never see the movie in a theatre or a store over heare. One of the reasons I picked it up is because Asano is in the cast. That man has been in some very peculiar movies.

"A Taste of Tea" is in a limited theatrical run right now so its not out on DVD yet, but I think Viz is planning on it hitting store shelves late this summer (May or June, maybe?).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
I'm a fairly big fan of the game(Disgaea) but I really didn't like the anime... Gave up two episodes in, I really didn't appreciate the greatness that is Captain Gorden being lowered to the point of a Team Rocket parody.

Yeah, Disgaea is one of my favorite games, but this anime just sucks. There's no way it successfully panders to fans of the game, but if it's even worse off towards non-fans of the game, then I'd like to see who the anime staff tried to pander towards.

This is true. Disgaea is also one of my favorite RPGs and I disliked the anime despite how much I wanted to like it and was hoping it would be good. I've heard pretty much the same thing from most other fans of the game too. The only people I have heard of who have liked it are people who haven't played the game actually.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm..... Painfully short column this week. A live action film I'm not interested in, a collection I bought as singles and two singles, both already ordered (and one due in today's mail). Hopefully next week's non-ill edition will be extra long to make up for it.

As for Shelf Obsessed, his collection is... adequate. The DVDs seem fairly diverse. A bit heavy on the Gundam for my taste, but otherwise not bad. At 1800 he's made a good start.

Quote:
500+ manga volumes

Yeah, I suppose, barely. 503 volumes. (Yes I counted, I need a life.) Here's where he needs to expand. I think my collection needs to expand and I have well more then double that. I really need to clean up enough to take some good pics and submit my collection.
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Well, the color strips are pretty easy actually, just think of hot and cold. Cold is obviously bad and hot is good. The red strip is hot, those are good and the blue is cold so they're bad. Purple is a combination of the two so it sits in the middle. The strips are easy to use and the article flows from top to bottom, ultimately I think the format works really well as a result.

One a side note I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who's seen, or cares about, Origin, heh.

Yes well it still confuses me. I just think it flowed better the other way. Its not like Im going to stop reading the column or anything, its one of my favorites. Just a little more frustrating to navigate is all.

I am one thats interested in the Origin movie, seems pretty entertaining. Disgaea, I have the game, never played it though. Maybe I would like the anime? Will give it a rental and see. The penguins are so cute its hard to hate it anyway!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

This is true. Disgaea is also one of my favorite RPGs and I disliked the anime despite how much I wanted to like it and was hoping it would be good. I've heard pretty much the same thing from most other fans of the game too. The only people I have heard of who have liked it are people who haven't played the game actually.

I agree, though I think I've encountered a few people who played the game and liked the anime. Even then, it doesn't seem to have many fans.

I saw a few episodes back when it was airing and I was bored. It's not very faithful to the game (as I recall, the anime had Flonne waking up Laharl and I know Captain Gordon was in the first episode when he doesn't show up until the last quarter of the game) but that's not really the problem. It's not like people played Disgaea for the plot, which was just a vehicle for the humor and battles. The problem is that the anime decided to go primarily with slapstick and high energy mania (that just wasn't funny) while the game involved a lot of parody and the humor had more to do with the dialogue or utter absurdity of some of the situations. Thus, people who found the game to be hilarious probably won't care for the anime's 'humor' and vice versa.

The only episode that was remotely entertaining to me was the third one (I think) in which spoiler[Etna and Flonne switched personalities] which had absolutely nothing to do with the game (or at least not the 3/4 I played).
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I knew I shouldn't have encouraged him to send in his shelf pics. I know this guy, I used to have more than him.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

I'm mildly interested in it. I can't decide whether or not I want to even rent it, though, since it sounds like a pretty mediocre film and there's plenty more eye-candy anime cinema on the horizon I'd much rather pay attention to. (TokiKake, anyone?) Not to mention there's about a million other movies I want to rent now, after watching the Oscars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Yujinbito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
I don't know about the Shelf Obessed fellow. How the heck can he afford that much floor space

How do you know that he owns the space or that he's the sole person paying for it?

Has nobody else noticed the video projector attached the ceiling?
(or do you all have those yourselves?)
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote
No worries Nagisa, you're not alone since I enjoyed what I was able to see of Galaxy Railways too.

It's so purely Matsumoto, too. One of the things I really wish newer fans would catch onto about his works (especially evident in Galaxy Express 999) is that he excels at telling stories with a deep inherent humanity , much like Tezuka or Ishinomori.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I can't decide whether or not I want to even rent it, though, since it sounds like a pretty mediocre film

There are a couple of customer reviews for Origin on Netflix and one person wrote that the movie was essentially a remake of Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind with better visuals. I haven't seen Nausicaa so I don't know if this statement is accurate or not. Confused
Citan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I myself picked up Origin prior to reading any reviews. What actually made me pick it up was a really well made AMV that watched. Visuals were definitely great, as to be expected, but I just couldn't get myself to grab on to the story. It just felt way too "I've seen this before". It definitely had that Nausica touch to it, and none of the characters were entirely too interesting to pull me away from that feeling. I'll have to give it a second watch before I can completely pass judgment, but its definitely ok to give it atleast one run.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe (the dub anyway) referred to the forest guardians as "Druids" not "Zruids"

edit: Yes, that is one mighty collection. My first thought was "Impressive, though how mighty is your TV?" Then I caught the projector on the right corner, and began to weep.
Jamee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Obsessed- he may have 500+ volumes, but as far as I'm concerned a manga shelf without Naruto may as well be empty. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4