• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spiriting Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Randall, welcome to the Leijiverse club, and damned if it isn't wild to hear "over the last four years" when talking about you, Nagisa, and I. Laughing
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Randall, welcome to the Leijiverse club, and damned if it isn't wild to hear "over the last four years" when talking about you, Nagisa, and I. Laughing

Count me in too.

Funny thing about Galaxy Railways: it was the first Matsumoto title I'd ever seen. After that, I just went hog wild for anything with his name on it. I now own damn near every one of his titles available in North America.

To be honest, though, I really don't know what I like so much about his work (aside from his artistic style). Nothing really stands out as GREAT, yet I always find myself enjoying his works more than most.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

The real question is, are we all still going to be doing this 10 years down the road?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
So, I see a lot of people agreeing with BD about how Disgaea sucks. Would that be after you guys watched the Japanese version or the English version? Because I would probably get the jokes if I watched it in Japanese and then maybe it would be funny. I don't play the game though, what system is it on?

As I recall, few of the jokes (in the anime) relied on clever dialogue, so that's not much of an issue. I watched the first 3 episodes fansubbed and couldn't bring myself to watch any more of it.

Both Disgaea 1 and 2 are for PS2. Nippon Ichi (the developer for the game) is infamous for it's games' insane level cap. The maximum level is 9999, and the optional bosses, from what I hear as I have never gotten to them, pretty much require you max out your levels and your equipment.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The real question is, are we all still going to be doing this 10 years down the road?

Well, been a fan for 16years, posting for almost 5, I suppose that the answer for me is yes so long as Tempest keeps the boards running and none of the mods get too tired of me. Wink

Also makes me glad to have a loving girlfriend, because as the ages get younger and the outfits get skimpier at conventions, by that time it'd open up all sorts of problems for a 32year old otaku!
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
From what was reviewed, I'd have to say that Galaxy Railways is the only thing that catches my interest. I caught a few random episodes of it on the FUNi channel some time ago. It's hard to say what it was that interested me. The episodic style of the series? The way the content was executed? Perhaps both. With the release of the box set, I'll probably pick it up sometime this May (when I start working again).
Russ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
AnDrEj123 wrote:
Thanks for the spreadsheet....and I think I might take up collection anime as a hobby once I graduate from nursing school...I just can't get enough of anime

ps. I noticed you don't have BECK....I don't know if you've watched it or not but I think its an amazing anime....better than most "classics"

My wishlist is very massive as well. Got a lot that I want to get my mits on, including Galaxy Railways and others. I'm just waiting for boxed sets on most of this stuff. Smile I wish I owned everything. Heheh... the other problem is that I'm the world's worst critic since I enjoy pretty much everything (even the loathed SD Gundam Force, if you can believe that). Wink
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

I started posting on a Savage Dragon messageboard back in 1998, and I'm still in regular contact with probably 2 dozen or so guys that I've met on there, many of whom I've since met in real life and become close friends with. So it's not unheard of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LadySumire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to have a basement so my anime collection could spread out a little. Right now it has to sit piled top to bottom & front to back of the bookcase because I don't have the extra space available for more shelving. Maybe one day when my kids grow up, move out & I can commandeer their rooms. ^_~
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
kittycatgirl2k wrote:
For some reason the new format of Shelf Life still confuses me though. It was easier to read when it was Keepers on the top, Rentals in the middle, perishables on the bottom and underneath that any oddities (like live action movies). That was easier to read. Now i keep having to look at the weird color strip coding thing to figure out if Im looking at something that got a thumbs up, down or indifference. Blegh.

But at least there was finally space between the pics and the words so that the latter were legible.

Quote:
What do you guys think? Is he allowed to have bragging rights?

Yes.

Russ wrote:
I started keeping the spreadsheet so I could find out which series' were still not fully purchased so when brands go on sale, I can just snap it up without worrying about duplicates (just accidentally got another duplicate... that will be given away... oops.)

The second or third time this happened to me was when I just gave up on and went back to the tried and true "is it on the shelf or in an order" method.

Russ wrote:
My orders used to be huge... I think my biggest one contained 43 discs... it was a BIG box. But I've since become far more conservative, only buying things when they go on sale or snapping up boxed sets. Makes the dollar go a lot further.

This is a great internal debate of mine on whether it is a good or bad thing. Current rationalization is that if there isn't as much left I want to get, and that I won't rack up another *cough*hack*something* year with them alone, it is good enough.

Russ wrote:
even the loathed SD Gundam Force, if you can believe that

Nope, not of anyone with eyes or ears. I'm hard pressed to think of anything I've turned off and given up on faster (that wasn't at least partially due to missing an episode and refusing to skip ahead.)
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:40 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

I started posting on a Savage Dragon messageboard back in 1998, and I'm still in regular contact with probably 2 dozen or so guys that I've met on there, many of whom I've since met in real life and become close friends with. So it's not unheard of.

I've been talking about anime on the internet for about as long as anime has been on the internet (was a fan for many years before that) back in the days when most of us used out real names. I was a regular poster on rec.arts.anime during it's formative years and according to this link http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.anime.info/browse_thread/thread/3bc28fa2f80e68ea/5461319d04a23ca1?lnk=st&q=Randall+Miyashiro+rec.arts.anime&rnum=16&hl=en#5461319d04a23ca1
I was amongst the first page of frequent posters between 1992 and 1997, even though I stopped posting by 1994. Wow, this reminds me of the days with so many familiar names like Animeigo's Robert J Woodhead, Anime Expo's Mike Tatsugawa, Gundam scholar Tonghyun Kim, Fan Subber William Chow, busy pro translator Neil Scott Nadelman, Translator (who I bumped into a couple of times last year in SF) Egan Loo and many others who made their professional mark in the industry. A good number of us knew each other from the 80s and the internet was a great way for the few anime fans (the type who would watch the untranslated imports) to keep in touch since there were so few of us. It's always nice to run into people from those first internet days, although I don't keep in regular contact with any of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4