• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:52 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I really hate that turd attitude expressed by EpicLotus and Annf. Let the plebians eat cake? Jesus Christ. Where's a guillotine when you need one?

I have no real problem with Aniplex's business model when they do a Madoka style release with an expensive LE along with a less expensive non-LE release. If we eventually get non LE versions of KnK and F/Z then, again, there's no harm/no foul for me.

Meanwhile EpicLotus and his little buddy Annf can run around giggling in their Marie Antoinette frippery. Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ugh, I really hate that turd attitude expressed by EpicLotus and Annf. Let the plebians eat cake? Jesus Christ. Where's a guillotine when you need one?

Viva la revolution! Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
I genuinely don't understand where their sentiment comes from. I mean, they have a positive glee that the pricing on F/Z will put it beyond the reach of most anime fans. Where's the good news in that? I really don't understand certain segments of fandumb.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
fandumb.
What you did there.

I see it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
Dang - I can't get nuffin' past you, Sano, you sharp-eyed hawk! Wink
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Cool
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
It sure is pretty to look at, I'll give it that much.

eta: well, I folded like a cheap card table and ordered this bitch. Here's my reasoning: I was planning to buy the non-LE BDs anyway, which would still have cost me $120. Plus, I don't have that many zowey-powey releases anyway - you know, the type of releases that if you sent pictures of your shelves into Shelf Life, people would want to murder you out of envy. Plus, I like the show. Plus, I'm reasonably confident these will sell out so that next year when TRSI has another 12 Days of Christmas sale, I won't have to slit my wrists when I see them going for $19.99 each. Plus, ...

... look at how PURTY it is!
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It sure is pretty to look at, I'll give it that much.
Yeah, no joke. Shocked

Hm...maybe I should look into this thing some more...

Edit:
Blood- wrote:
eta: well, I folded like a cheap card table and ordered this bitch.
Laughing It was only a matter of time, bro.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Based on what you've posted, you misunderstand my sentiments. It has nothing to do with elitism, superiority, etc. Just because I got a chuckle out of someone's witty historic reference doesn't mean I concur with the statement. Frankly, I could care less about how my collection compares to other members, and therefore, I don't have anything to feel superior about.

My excitement stems from getting a high-quality release direct out of Japan, with the added bonus of subs and a nice translated booklet. I've imported a handful of times before, and this is the best treatment my import's ever gotten. The "glee" you seem so scornful about has nothing to do with other people's apparent inability to pay for the release, but with my own anticipation at getting it. This isn't for everyone, and you seem really jacked off that it isn't. I'd wager most people here actually could afford this at the expense of their other monthly anime purchases, but they're not willing to give those up. That's fine, but it's a choice some fail to recognize. If they don't like the show enough to warrant making some changes to their regularly scheduled purchases, then they aren't in the target audience for this release. This is meant for the dedicated TYPE-MOON fans who prefer to spend more on this one release than have it be part of the slew of shovelware titles they pick up every month.

Do you get this upset when Japan puts out other releases with English subs, and don't even bother to solicit them here? Tiger and Bunny BD's have English subs, but maybe I missed the outcry that they're wicked expensive to import. I can understand people's upset that this isn't getting a proper domestic release from Aniplex of America, but to get upset over a foreign pricing scheme and being offered easy access to the associated products is just bizarre to me. This isn't even anything new in Japan; their media's been horrendously priced compared to America's since I can remember. It isn't going to change, and raging on the internet about it is just a waste of time. Accept it or move on to the next show, because Aniplex Japan isn't going to change for us over in America. If people boycott the releases, it's highly probably they'll just pull out of the American market altogether rather than offer the same product at a significantly reduced rate. That would only serve to piss off their primary source of income, the Japanese.
Annf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I genuinely don't understand where their sentiment comes from. I mean, they have a positive glee that the pricing on F/Z will put it beyond the reach of most anime fans. Where's the good news in that? I really don't understand certain segments of fandumb.

Ah heh, sorry for the confusion. My original post, that I put in this thread by mistake (It jokes about "re-purposing the thread," which doesn't make sense in this thread, so I moved it to the Fate/Zero announcement thread.) looked like this:
Annf wrote:
There's not really anything new to be said that wasn't covered last time in the Garden of Sinners thread.

I suggest we re-purpose this thread for people to post photographs of their Garden of Sinner boxes or other Japanese releases while noting the plebeians may eat cake.

I didn't manage to delete it fast enough from this thread before it got quoted.

The only real meaning in the post was in the first sentence.
You're saying the same things you did last time, and I responded to those last time, sooo, yeah.

I am giggling, but only at the way sticking a translated leaflet in the Japanese release and shipping a bulk batch to RightStuf messes with some people's brains in a way that selling those same subtitled BDs for the same price at Amazon.co.jp doesn't.
Aniplex might or might not release a NA version, and may or may not have already made up their minds about that, but speculating that this import promotion replaces such an NA release, that it makes an NA release less likely, is just that, speculation. Even if it were a sign that Aniplex has decided an inexpensive NA release wouldn't make money, not doing the import promotion wouldn't change that.

Annnd, hitting the preview button, I see EpicLotus is already saying basically the same thing, so like I said, nothing new to say. Smile

Last edited by Annf on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
You claim your attitude has nothing to do with a sense of superiority or elitism yet use terms like "shovelware" to describe the sorts of titles that us plebes purchase. Rolling Eyes I'm being to understand why so many people despise Type-Moonies.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Ok, whatever you want to think, that's fine. Shovelwear refers to the low-cost, low-effort releases a lot of companies produce these day. Given that I haven't stated what else I enjoy or collect, that's fairly presumptuous on your part to assume I don't buy into the shovelwear, as well. I just happen to recognize it as such, not delude myself into thinking the average anime release is top-notch quality in content and packaging. A fair portion of shows that get released over here are fairly redundant in content and not given much attention by their licensors in terms of packaging quality or extras.

Take the regular releases that Viz puts out for the shonen shows. The original Bleach and Naruto LE sets had very nice packaging, extra like stickers, figures, various omake. Now we're lucky to get a cardboard slipcover for Bleach, and I don't think Shippuden even gets that much. They've been reduced to shovelwear by the licensors. Does that mean I don't enjoy the shows? No, but I also recognize those releases are a very far cry from the efforts NISA and AoA put into some of their titles. This import from Aniplex Japan is in an entirely different league than those, and the cost reflects that.

Anyways, I've about exhausted my desire to discuss this much further. I've got my pre-order in for the set, I'm happy with it and hope for more, and I don't think any amount of internet debating is going change opinions on either side of the fence.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. Bottom line for me is I hope you, or anybody like you, enjoys their purchase (which I'm sure you will). From a purely humane perspective, I just wish you, or anybody like you, would not seem quite so high-handed towards people who either cannot afford the item or cannot justify buying it.

*munches on cake*
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Blood- wrote:
eta: well, I folded like a cheap card table and ordered this bitch.
Laughing It was only a matter of time, bro.
And by that, I was apparently referring to it only being a matter of time for both of us.

Just put in my pre-order for the Madoka Magica Vol. 1 Limited Edition as well. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 108