• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote

How it looks --and at a certain price point it does become important why pay good money for something that looks and feels like crap?-- and if I liked it are not the only considerations.

Its important to me that I feel that I'm getting value for my money, otherwise even if I like a show seeing it on my shelf and knowing I paid a price that I didn't like will trigger irritation. I own enough anime (of course not as much as you Smile) and enough is produced every year that I don't feel I must pay any price to own something. I may chaff at missing out on a domestic release for a show I like, but I also have options to get what I want. I imported Rokka from the UK in a chipbox with a dub for a reasonable price vs PonyCanyon's NA prices. I imported Baccano LE from Japan instead of paying for AoA paper, because I don't want to support AoA when they cut corners. I was disgusted with AoA's cheaply put together DVD LE release of GoS and sold it off and acquired the BD import, etc.

Of course sometimes I have to bite the bullet like the AoA GoS/recalled out summer release was paper and the same price as Japan's chipbox release, but the Japan release didn't have English Subs. Like any good shopper I try to weigh the pros and cons of a purchase and what I'm willing to pay. Right now I'm leaning away from buying this Kill la Kill release, but who knows maybe in 3 years if it hasn't sold well it will drop in price and maybe I'd be willing to buy it then. Cool
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I certainly understand the concept of a price/benefit comparison. It is why I don't have any of Pony Canyon's releases. There were a couple I would have bought at Funimation prices but not at theirs. My point is that I make such decisions without respect to extras or packaging. If the show is worth the price, I'll buy it, but that is just me. Wink

I think the only reason I posted about this is that a year or so ago I decided to get off of the LE/CE/SE treadmill and in many cases (Funimation) it simply meant doing without a chipboard box. I took a good hard look at my collection and decided that chipboard boxes while pretty were basically space hogs and don't provide enough satisfaction to overcome the loss of shelf space. At this point what I want in packaging is a sturdy Blu-ray case with the title on the spine in a readable font. I would even happily do without those cardstock sleeves that some releases have.

I do have the GOS Blu-ray set, I got it when it first came out. I consider the case a pain in the butt because I have to shelve it in another room away from my other releases. I feel the same way about most of the NISA releases in those silly long boxes. If shelf space gets much tighter, I'm going to have to go through all those Funimation releases and pull out the Blu-ray case and dump the box and DVD copy. Mad
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:54 am Reply with quote

Yep, I mean we all have sort of our wants/priorities when it comes to purchases. I think you've said in the past IIRC that your house is full of boxes of manga, comics, anime, figures(?), and your wife's doll collection. I think you mentioned before that you had consolidated some shelves by upgrading to BD complete collections and getting rid of older DVDs. You value the anime and space saving more strongly than packaging/extras and price. Whereas I value the anime and packaging/extras a little more than space and price. We are just a little different in what we prioritize and the circumstances. We are just different shoppers with the same hobby, and that's ok. Wink Smile

I'm rather fond of the NISA releases. The boxes are like mini poster art and can be displayed as such. While long they are also thin enough that I can shelve them upright in my bookcases without issue --I know other people have media shelves that they wont fit on--. I'm also a big fan of the books that came with them, some of them provided a lot of nice info besides images. The GOS set is big especially in its cardboard carrying case. I never take it out of the cardboard because the BD set feels a little fragile, but I felt much better owning it over the DVD LE release. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
The original boxes for the Garden of Sinners Blu-ray set had a problem with the illustrated front panel warping. Aniplex had to replace a lot of them, including mine. The replaced box seems fine. I keep it and the NISA releases in a bookcase that is a foot deep by a foot wide. Unfortunately this is in another room from my TV which means that these get overlooked when I'm trying to decide what to watch. Crying or Very sad
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yea I seem to recall that. Mine seems fine, my main issue with GoS was how the box opens. The flaps on these kind of designs are always the weakest point and if you open it a lot I worry it would wear out there.

The Funi Fullmetal Alchemist BD CE cardboard suitcase is worse because the flap doesn't lay flat down it hangs off the top edge so you also have gravity working on it. I may actually end up selling my copy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
Well my copy of GOS just sits on the shelf, spine out. I don't open it unless I intend to watch it so it has taken no damage except for a bit of dust on the top edge. I'm not familiar with the FMA set as I never got into that show. Just for your information, the interior of my GOS box is black with gold lettering not green, probably an artifact of a new print run.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
https://neverland-animeusa.com/bd
Quote:
The Promised Neverland Complete Blu-ray Set

3.31.2020 ON SALE

$129.98 (SRP: $169.98)

-Disc Spec-
■ Spoken Languages: Japanese, English
■ Subtitles: English
■ Aspect Ratio: 16:9 widescreen
■ Episodes: 12 Episodes
■ Number of Disc: 3 Blu-ray Discs
■ Total Run Time: approx. 270min.
■ Rating: 13 UP

-Bonus Content-
■ Textless Opening & Endings
■ Season 2 Teaser
■ English Dub Trailer
■ Japanese and English Mix-up Video
* Bonus content subject to change.
* Bonus content include English subtitles.

-Bonus Materials & Package-
■ Deluxe Booklet
■ Package cover art illustrated by Posuka Demizu
* Bonus materials and package subject to change.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/The-Promised-Neverland-Blu-ray

https://sao-alicization.com/blu-ray
Quote:
SWORD ART ONLINE -Alicization- Complete Blu-ray Set

Release Date
4/21/2020

Price
SRP: $314.98
Retail Price: $249.98

Disc Spec
Spoken Languages: English & Japanese
Subtitles: English
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 HD Widescreen 1920x1080p
Episodes: #1-24 + #18.5
Number of Discs: 6 Blu-ray Discs
Total Run Time: Approx. 650 minutes
Rating: 16 UP

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Sword-Art-Online-Alicaization-Blu-ray
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The original boxes for the Garden of Sinners Blu-ray set had a problem with the illustrated front panel warping. Aniplex had to replace a lot of them, including mine. The replaced box seems fine. I keep it and the NISA releases in a bookcase that is a foot deep by a foot wide. Unfortunately this is in another room from my TV which means that these get overlooked when I'm trying to decide what to watch. Crying or Very sad

I can also confirm this issue, though the box is big and flat so I sort of solved the warping issue myself by putting a bunch of heavy things on top of it until it fit properly. Crying or Very sad

I find the oddly shaped NISA boxes to be somewhat problematic given I have an L-shaped corner with all my anime series. If I try to alphabetize them like everything else I encounter space issues, so they have to be put elsewhere.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:11 am Reply with quote
@Kruszer

I find alphabetizing my videos to be a waste of time. Every time you get something new you have to rearrange which is a problem unless you have a lot of excess space on the shelves. I've tried several arrangements. Currently they are separated by media type with most of the Blu-rays in the room with the TV. DVDs are relegated to a back room with the currently active manga series. Within media type, they are arranged by publisher first and then by appearance. Cool Unfortunately I'm running out of space for Blu-rays and some of the more space wasting box sets are with the DVDs and as noted above the GOS and NISA box sets are in a third room where they get overlooked.

As far as I'm concerned, the "best" organization is what ever works for you.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
https://www.nisekoiusa.com/box
Quote:
NISEKOI Complete Blu-ray Set

Release Date: 4/28/2020

Price
SRP: $239.98
Retail Price: $198.98

Disc Spec
Spoken Language: Japanese
Episodes: 36 Episodes
Number of Disc: 9 Blu-ray Discs
Total Run Time: approx. 880min.
Rating: 13 UP

Bonus Content
Textless Openings & Endings
Bonus Materials & Special Package
Special Booklet
Package cover art illustrated by Nobuhiro Sugiyama (Character Design & Chief Animation Director)
*Bonus Materials and package subject to change.

Description
The long-awaited NISEKOI series complete set finally arrives on Blu-ray! This complete Blu-ray set includes all 20 episodes from season 1, 12 episodes from season 2 as well as 4 unaired OVA episodes that will be available in the US for the first time. The box set also contains the textless openings and endings and a special booklet with a collection of illustrations. The package cover art is exclusively illustrated by Nobuhiro Sugiyama (Character Design & Chief Animation Director).

https://www.rightstufanime.com/NISEKOI-False-Love-Complete-Box-Set-Blu-ray
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
https://rascaldoesnotdream.com/bd/movie.html?movie
Quote:
Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl Blu-ray

06/30/2020 Release

Disc Spec
Spoken Languages: Japanese
Episodes: Movie
Number of Discs: 1 Blu-ray Disc
Total Run Time: Approx. 89 minutes

Bonus Materials & Package
Package illustrations by Keji Mizoguchi (Original Illustrations) and Satomi Tamura (Character Design)
Special booklet with character reference guides, scene design materials, and storyboard artworks
* Bonus materials subject to change.

Retail Price: $49.98
Your Price: $39.98

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Rascal-Does-Not-Dream-of-a-Dreaming-Girl-Blu-ray
WTK

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
https://demonslayer-anime.com/risshihen/blu-ray (Country Codes info via PR)
Quote:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Limited Edition Blu-ray Vol. 1

Coming 6/30/2020

Price
SRP: $159.98
Retail Price: $129.98

Disc Spec
Subtitle: English
Episodes: #1-13
Number of Discs: 3 Blu-ray Discs & 3 CDs
Total Run Time: Approx. 325 minutes
Country Codes: U.S., Canada, and Mexico (THE CONTENT AND FEATURES FOR THIS RELEASE HAVE BEEN LICENSED SOLELY FOR SALE AND VIEWING IN THE UNITED STATES, CANADA, AND MEXICO. DISCS WILL NOT PLAY BACK ANYWHERE ELSE.)

Bonus Content
■ Textless Opening and Ending
■ Audio Commentaries
- by Japanese cast (Natsuki Hanae, Akari Kito, Takahiro Sakurai) & English cast (Zach Aguilar, Abby Trott, Aleks Le, Bryce Papenbrook)

■ Exclusive box art and package illustrations by Akira Matsushima (Character Design)
■ Special booklet, featuring character arts and scene designs along with staff commentaries
■ Illustration card set
■ Soundtrack CDs by Go Shiina - Breathtaking music on 3 discs, covering the first half of the season

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Demon-Slayer-Kimetsu-no-Yaiba-Volume-1-Limited-Edition-Blu-ray

https://demonslayer-anime.com/risshihen/blu-ray/?no=2 (Country Codes info via PR)
Quote:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Limited Edition Blu-ray Vol. 2

Coming 11/24/2020

Price
SRP: $159.98
Retail Price: $129.98

Disc Spec
Subtitle: English
Episodes: #14-26
Number of Discs: 3 Blu-ray Discs & Soundtrack CD
Total Run Time: Approx. 325 minutes
Country Codes: U.S., Canada, and Mexico (THE CONTENT AND FEATURES FOR THIS RELEASE HAVE BEEN LICENSED SOLELY FOR SALE AND VIEWING IN THE UNITED STATES, CANADA, AND MEXICO. DISCS WILL NOT PLAY BACK ANYWHERE ELSE.)

Bonus Content
■ Audio Commentaries by Japanese & English cast

■ Exclusive box art and package illustrations by Akira Matsushima (Character Design)
■ Special booklet, featuring character arts and scene designs along with staff commentaries
■ Illustration card set
■ Soundtrack CDs by Go Shiina

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Demon-Slayer-Kimetsu-no-Yaiba-Volume-2-Limited-Edition-Blu-ray

Clipped via PR...
Quote:
SANTA MONICA, CA (MAY 5, 2020) – Aniplex of America is thrilled to announce the highly anticipated release of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba on Blu-ray in both Limited and Standard Edition packages. Both editions will be released in two volumes, with the Limited Editions bursting with bonus materials, including soundtrack CDs, an exclusive illustration card set, a special booklet featuring character art and scene designs with staff comments. Complete in a stunning box with cover art and package illustrations by Akira Matsushima (Character Design), both Limited Edition volumes also come with audio commentary from the Japanese and English cast, as well as a soundtrack CD featuring the series’ breathtaking music by Go Shiina (God Eater, Today’s MENU for Emiya Family).

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Limited Edition Blu-ray Volume 1 contains the first thirteen episodes of the series and will be released on June 30, 2020, followed by Volume 2 on November 24, 2020. Each volume is priced at $159.98 SRP with both editions open for pre-orders at online retailer RightStuf Anime (https://www.rightstufanime.com/).

The Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Standard Edition Blu-rays are each priced at $64.98 SRP with Volume 1, containing the first thirteen episodes, scheduled for release in September 2020, while the Standard Edition Volume 2 will include episode the remaining thirteen episodes and is scheduled for release January 2021. Aniplex of America will be partnering with Funimation for the distribution of the Standard Edition Blu-rays with more details on the release to be announced at a later date.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:03 pm Reply with quote
https://www.fatestaynightusa.com/ubw/bdbox
Quote:
Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] Complete Blu-ray Box Set

Coming 7/14/2020

SRP: $239.98
Retail Price: $189.98

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Fate-stay-night-Unlimited-Blade-Works-Complete-Box-Set-Blu-ray

◆Disc Spec
・Languages: Japanese & English
・Subtitles: English & Spanish
・16:9 HD Widescreen 1920x1080p
・Episodes: Uncut Episodes #00-25 + OVA
・Number of Disc: 8 discs
・Total Run Time: approx. 706 min.
・Rating: 13 UP

◆Bonus Content
・Trailers / TV Spots / CMs / PV Collections
・Special OVA Episode "sunny day"
・Textless openings & endings
*Bonus content subject to change.

◆Bonus Materials & Package
・Mini-Booklet
・Package illustrated by Takashi Takeuchi (Original Character Design)
*Bonus materials subject to change.

◆Available territories
・US, Canada, Central and South Americas ONLY
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
https://p5ausa.com/bd
Quote:
PERSONA5 the Animation Complete Blu-ray Set

Release Date: 09/29/20

Disc Spec
Spoken Languages: Japanese, English
Aspect ratio: 16:9 widescreen
Episodes: 26 episodes + 2 special episodes
Number of Discs: 6 Blu-ray
Total Run Time: approx. 880min.

Price
SRP: $398.98
Retail Price: $298.98

https://www.rightstufanime.com/PERSONA5-the-Animation-Blu-ray

Bonus Content
Textless Opening & Endings
Commercials and Trailers
SP1 "Dark Sun..." Trailer
SP2 "Stars and Ours" Trailer
*Bonus content subject to change. *Bonus content include English subtitles.

Illustration Card Set
*Bonus Materials and package subject to change.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
https://elmelloi-anime.com/blu-ray
Quote:
Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files {Rail Zeppelin} Grace note Complete Blu-ray Box Set

Release Date: 12/15/2020

SRP: $174.98
Retail Price: $139.98

Disc Spec
Spoken Languages: Japanese & English
Aspect ratio: 16:9 HD Widescreen 1920x1080p
Episodes: 14 episodes ( #00-13)
Number of Disc: 3 discs
Total Run Time: approx. 330 min.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Lord-El-Melloi-IIs-Case-Files-Rail-Zepellin-Grace-note-Box-Set-Blu-ray

Bonus Content
■ Textless opening & ending
■ PV collections
■ Web Previews

■ Special booklet
■ Package illustrated by Jun Nakai (Character Design)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 105 of 108