• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York ComicCon 2007 - Newtype USA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote
Wow.... this is really disappointing to me....
I started buying NT USA way back the end of 2004, I think, when Lagoon Engine Einstaz premiered, since I'm a huge fan of Sugisaki Yukiru... it ran for 10 months, then was replaced by Angel Dust NEO... at the time, they said Einsatz would be returning the following october (2006)... however, they put in some other title, and now they are saying that CLAMP is getting the mag once the current series leaves... wth! I'm sick of NT USA... I already know about the series that are coming out, so I gloss over the first half... I don't cosplay, so I skip over that... Megumi's corner is kinda cute... but they got rid of the episode guides years ago, which was a huge loss, and now, mostly all I read are the game reviews... and that's just so I know when stuff is coming out in the US, since most of the titles I've already heard about...

So, way to go NewType USA... on top of botching it when you flipped format with your new editor years ago... you have now dragged out and lost the only reason I had to pay $13 for a magazine filled with information I already knew... I came for the manga, and it's not there... good bye, it's been nice knowing you. Smile
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Wow.... this is really disappointing to me....
I started buying NT USA way back the end of 2004, I think, when Lagoon Engine Einstaz premiered, since I'm a huge fan of Sugisaki Yukiru... it ran for 10 months, then was replaced by Angel Dust NEO... at the time, they said Einsatz would be returning the following october (2006)... however, they put in some other title, and now they are saying that CLAMP is getting the mag once the current series leaves... wth! I'm sick of NT USA...

It was not entirely our decision whether Einsatz continued. Sugisaki has also not continued it. So if you're blaming someone, you should point that finger elsewhere (or at least toward multiple parties, if you must include us in your wrath). I don't think we said for sure, 100% that it would return at such-and-such-a-date, but it *was* the original plan that it would come back at some point.

When Einsatz began, we were ecstatic here at Newtype USA. We thought it was pretty awesome that here was this manga by a well-known manga-ka that we were running in NTUSA first. It hadn't even been serialized in Japan. We worked extensively with Sugisaki on the translation -- way closer than anyone has before. We tried to promote the manga as heavily as we could. But as it turned out, people didn't think it was as big a deal as we did. ANN didn't even mention the project in their year-end overview of the anime magazine market that year, which was disappointing. We barely got any fan mail that said anything about it, good or bad. We did a couple features on it, a cover...but it just got little to no reaction from the fanbase. :\ We thought, OK, maybe after it comes out as a graphic novel interest will pick up. No dice. We ran that animated segment on our disc...we received a total of zero comments on that. Had people reacted differently to it there would've been a much better chance it would've continued.

Quote:
but they got rid of the episode guides years ago, which was a huge loss

To explain that -- We looked at the survey cards we got back from readers, and those indicated that the episode guides (TV Land) weren't a popular section. And they took a lot of man hours to translate and fact-check. In the end, we weighed the options and decided to cut it.

Quote:
So, way to go NewType USA... on top of botching it when you flipped format with your new editor years ago...

What do you mean by "flipped format"?
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
NewtypeCJ wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
but they got rid of the episode guides years ago, which was a huge loss

To explain that -- We looked at the survey cards we got back from readers, and those indicated that the episode guides (TV Land) weren't a popular section. And they took a lot of man hours to translate and fact-check. In the end, we weighed the options and decided to cut it.

That's too bad because the Anime Land section was clearly one of the best sections in the entire magazine, and on a personal level was one of my favorite sections. Sure, they contained spoilers, but the content of those episode guides got me interested in the majority of the anime that section displayed. Most of the series featured in Anime Land did eventually made their way to the States, with some (like Kaleido Star and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien) among my all-time favorite anime series. At least now I know why the section was cut. I don't like it, but despite the loss of a great section I still think that the magazine is a good source of information. The columns and features displayed are among the best in the field in my view (but not as good as Protoculture Addicts, though), and adding Monica Rial among the regular columnists last year (July 2006 issue to be precise) was a stroke of genius. Her Reality Check column is currently my favorite section of NTUSA. Cool
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I really liked it too.

The most important thing to us is that we've been able to maintain some semblance of quality as other print magazines (and I'm talking about those in areas like gaming, music and TV) have had to cut down on things like # of pages, paper quality, etc. Postage rates and paper cost have been our mortal enemies these last few years and I think we've done the best we can to make NTUSA a mag people want/want to read.

Part of the difficulty in that is that no two anime fans like things exactly the same way, nor do they want exactly the same Newtype. (Some want more Japanese coverage, others want more US, some want bishies on the centerfold, others want big-breasted chicks, etc.) It's a tough balancing act sometimes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1