• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon to Release When They Cry - Higurashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amasa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Drowning_Wolf wrote:
That was an easy guess but I am so glad the series will see the day out here! As for the Higurashi bashing some apply, I cannot agree completely, I thought the show was fairly easy to follow even if a large percentage of what's going on is not explicated (in the arc where it's going on, that is) but it left a lot of place for thinking and discussing with friends and by the end of the anime a lot of question are answered anyway. But I have to agree that the manga and game are far better (okay, I don't know about the game but I guess it is).

I suppose it must be easier to understand the series if you've read both the manga and played the game. For a newcomer to Higurashi I wasn't too confused, it's so easy to enjoy if you don't even try to figure out the link between each story and just concentrate on the arc at hand.

I'm so happy about this news. However, I'm still not really sure about a sequel. I thought the series finished well enough and I'd prefer to just be left thinking about what's already happened and figuring it out for myself.
maus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, and I was thinking something big was being licensed with all the commotion... Turns out it is just another one of those cutesy anime... Sad
When is Tenshi na Konamaiki getting licensed? That one I'd like to get my hands on...
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
maus wrote:
Wow, and I was thinking something big was being licensed with all the commotion... Turns out it is just another one of those cutesy anime... Sad

If you think Higurashi is your usual cutesy anime you're in for a little surprise Laughing
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
shenlongmizuno wrote:
maus wrote:

If you think Higurashi is your usual cutesy anime you're in for a little surprise Laughing

A little surprise is an understatement. Twisted Evil
MarthX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Drowning_Wolf wrote:
That was an easy guess but I am so glad the series will see the day out here! As for the Higurashi bashing some apply, I cannot agree completely, I thought the show was fairly easy to follow even if a large percentage of what's going on is not explicated (in the arc where it's going on, that is) but it left a lot of place for thinking and discussing with friends and by the end of the anime a lot of question are answered anyway. But I have to agree that the manga and game are far better (okay, I don't know about the game but I guess it is).

I suppose it must be easier to understand the series if you've read both the manga and played the game. For a newcomer to Higurashi I wasn't too confused, it's so easy to enjoy if you don't even try to figure out the link between each story and just concentrate on the arc at hand.

I'm so happy about this news. However, I'm still not really sure about a sequel. I thought the series finished well enough and I'd prefer to just be left thinking about what's already happened and figuring it out for myself.

The story isn't finished, the anime only showed 6 out of the 8 games; Most of the important questions have yet to be answered:

Who is the mastermind behind it all?
Why exactly do people keep going insane?
Who exactly is Oyashiro-sama if it does exist?

spoiler[And of course: How do they finally defeat 'fate' and free themselves from the endless June?]
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
MarthX wrote:

It's obviously Takano. I mean that woman just oozes EVIL from every pore. You can't be that bloody creepy without being up to SOMETHING.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="MarthX"]
Amasa wrote:

The story isn't finished, the anime only showed 6 out of the 8 games; Most of the important questions have yet to be answered:

Who exactly is Oyashiro-sama if it does exist?

The second question won't be a question if Geneon brings the TIPS over like the Japanese DVDs did.

The first is fairly clear after doing a bit of thinking. The 7th chapter just confirms things. The eighth just wraps things up. The eighth is also somewhat cheesy. The PS2 last chapter has a slightly more satisfying plot from what I've heard.
Hasukawa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I am a bit suprised that Higurashi was picked up, I wantd it to be, but I had me doubts about that happening. The series was a pleasent suprise for me last srping and am waiting for the second season/series. I have some of the manga but have not read any of it yet and have only dabld a bit with one of the games. For being creepy, not really...it was a good mystery but for really creepy check out Ghost Hunt, know that is a creepy anime. Creepy enough that I would love to see 1 or 2 of the story lines made into movies. If you liked Higurashi, check out Ghost Hunt because it's just as cool, more coherent and pretty creepy at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
At least 4Kids didn't get it: Razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5UfIRmkv28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I got it right!
I never actually saw the series, but my friend did and gave me a synopsis. Plus, I knew the translation, so the cicada was a giveaway.

Did they post the winners anywhere yet?
grgspunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
When is the website going to open?
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
At least 4Kids didn't get it: Razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5UfIRmkv28

That never gets old. NEVER I tell you. I almost wish they would put that on the DVD as well. "Some people who are lactose intolerant can go to the emergency room!"

They did a "Breath Note" parody too.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Heh, well, even if 4kids got it, they at least can't butcher a lot of names because a lot of them are American sounding enough to begin with.

"Mion" and "Shion" would probably be left alone in such a scenario. "Rika" and "Rena" would definitely stay. Keiichi probably would turn into Casey though and Oishi would probably turn into "Kraud Osh" or something.

But I could imagine 4kids Higurashi now...spoiler[Rika stabs herself, with a plastic shovel! And no, she didn't die, of course not! Was that blood? No, that was ketchup!]

Not everyone watches fansubs, please don't spoil this show for everyone.
psipsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's see, a popular and well-liked show, Geneon's name plastered on the credits... I know that either of those things alone doesn't guarantee anything, but the only thing that surprised me about this news is that it took this long for it to happen.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
maus wrote:
Wow, and I was thinking something big was being licensed with all the commotion... Turns out it is just another one of those cutesy anime

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5