• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Haters Everywhere We Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Anime is NOT a cheap hobby and if you're not willing (or too cheap) to buy the releases you really like and want, it's suggested to give it up, or save up your money. You may not get the "new release" right away, but you'll get it eventually.

That's exactly what my husband and I do. While our anime DVD collection may not have the most up-to-date titles or the most recent releases for a series, we're still at least buying DVDs. When we purchase, we are definitely bargain hunters.

Some of our most recent acquisitions include all five seasons of Dragon Ball. I believe the most we ever paid for one of those sets was $25, when MSRP is around $40; the cheapest set I got only cost about $19. While we may not be buying the most recent releases, I'm sure that Viz, FUNimation, et al. appreciate any purchases that we make. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
And there are many who just don't have the money or may need it for other things like medical expenses or mortgage payments so it's hard to criticize someone for choosing fansubs but fansubbers themselves don't have to sub something just because it's the hottest show.

While I have the money issues, I'm not out there perusing fansubs, because that doesn't do anything to help the North American licensors stay in business.

In order to sample anime series before making purchases, I either check out DVDs through my local library system, or I will watch the occasional free first episode of a series that's available through FUNimation's area of Comcast's ON DEMAND service (I recently saw the first episodes of Gun x Sword, Hero Tales, and The Count of Monte Cristo that way).

Speaking of checking things out through my library system, there's a copy of Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection :01 sitting on the hold shelf waiting for me to pick it up and check it out tomorrow. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Farix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Not to drag this too far off topic by opening another can of worms. But what are some of the common reasons you've heard about why people download fansubs instead of watching the legal streams?

The reason I ask this is because of a fansub ethics panel that I've been doing at a local convention for the last three years and I want to expand on the "reasons people downloading" part of the pane and to keep the content fresh.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Not to drag this too far off topic by opening another can of worms. But what are some of the common reasons you've heard about why people download fansubs instead of watching the legal streams?

The reason I ask this is because of a fansub ethics panel that I've been doing at a local convention for the last three years and I want to expand on the "reasons people downloading" part of the pane and to keep the content fresh.

Because when you download, it's there on your hard-drive and you can watch it whenever you want, connected to the Internet or not. It's sort of like owning a digital copy, which for many trumps the legality part of it.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
On the names: I was momentarily outraged on the title of "Let's Play", then got over it. I am happy for the release. I enjoyed it as a fun little romp and will purchase the release, especially if it is on Blu Ray ( I love the hd subs, call me wierd, you'd be right).

On purchasing what I like. I let my (Very large) anime collection stand as proof that I support the N American market, and I am a fossil much like others, and well remember paying $30 for 2 episodes of subtitled Maison Ikkoku or Ranma 1/2, or $35 for one episode of Bubblegum Crisis!

Doesn't mean I bought Garden of Sinners (I just didn't like it that much)... I also preview shows by various (and possibly nefarious) means, but I have bought a few stinkers in the past without previewing, and now I always at least do a tasting bite before buying. If I watched it religiously as it was coming out, a sale is guaranteed to me (My recent purchases of Angel Beats! and Sora no Woto attest to that).

Take note of that! Give me Wandering Son, Bunny Drop, From Me to You, and La Croisse. Please? Among others, I suppose.

farix wrote:

Farix, I prefer the downloadable fansubs because on my crappy linux OS computer has issues with streaming anything. I have (off and on) purchased a Crunchyroll subscription anyway.

IE: I get far better playback performance and a better watching experience from the bootleg. I know. Sorry.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lately many anime's "international" names are decided by the anime production committees themselves before they are even created and sold.

"Many" doesn't cover all and can only be assumed to apply to the anime in this article. That sort of reasoning is flimsy, plus with the channel of communication being more or less closed it looks like an attempt to redirect the finger pointing to some untouchable entity for an easy cop-out.
There was no factual English subtitle or alternative title for Asobi ni Iku Yo developed prior to either CR's stream or Funi's licensing. Two different English companies had the rights and we ended up with two different English version names. Seems like the unique names were translation decisions made by the licensees to me.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
"God's Notebook" is an actual published book, by the way. No idea if that was a factor in any way for a title change, but just thought I'd mention it. Heaven's Memo Pad is fine.

By the way, "Heavenly Memo Pad", as the letter-writer mistakenly wrote it, sounds very different...

Last edited by Asrialys on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:

One reason, while not a particularly common one, is that there still are stretches of less densely populated areas where the Internet service makes streaming impractical.
futurefrog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Look, after having read these Answerman articles, for a long time now, I have to say; you are a [personal attacks are not allowed].

You never provide truly valid points and are yourself one of the many who consider themselves entitled. There is no expectation, there is only the few who have been so spoiled by these generous companies, who consider themselves worth something. When really they are nothing more then a mere fleck of dust on the industry.

If you think you are entitled to more episodes at a cheaper price. Then don't buy the releases we are given. You are only hurting an industry that gives and gives and gives to you. Why would you not want to give back?

Just remember, these companies don't have to release anime and manga in the Western world. But they do because they believe that people genuinely want these things. Be thankful you get anything, you spoiled [personal attacks are not allowed].

That goes for you as well Answerman, week after week you decry companies and talk yourself up as some kind of expert on the industry. You are a [personal attacks are not allowed]. My diagnosis? [personal attacks are not allowed].

Good day, sir!

[Mod Edit: You are well withing your right to criticize and argue against the position of other users, Answerman, or ANN itself. Unfortunately what you are not allowed to do is directly insult and personally attack other users or ANN staff. There are ways to argue against a point without throwing civility out the window. - Keonyn]
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Regarding changed titles.

Cat Planet Cuties is not that bad of a title. Well let phrase it this way, if you had the series packaged and have two different titles one called "We've come to play" or "Bombshells from the Sky" and "Cat Planet Cuties" which is more likely to catch someone's attention?

The fansub stuff is starting to get out of hand and is start to look like a corporate war. Who can get a product out the fastest. It is like a giant pissing contest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
The fansub stuff is starting to get out of hand and is start to look like a corporate war. Who can get a product out the fastest. It is like a giant pissing contest.

And now it's even more fun when we have Hi10P, a 10-bit h.264 profile which allows for better quality in things like banding and gradients at even smaller filesizes than 8-bit. So the gap is widening even further and fansubs are outpacing legal options by miles. But that's only if you care for video quality, which I assume a good number of people couldn't care less.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:

If you don't open a can of worms, how can you have a diet of worms?
...Moving on...
I present, for you and you alone (or anyone that cares) a short little essay on fansubs. I could write more, but frankly, I don't really care that much.

An Apology for Fansubbing
Let's be honest, around here fansubbing is the Great Satan. And there is a lot of about fansubbing that is evil, frankly. But feel like I must make a defense of my actions, even if they are hated. When I got into this, there was a code of honour. It was a crude and crabbed sort of code, a pirate's code, but we did try to follow it. Fansubbers didn't aim to make money from it, distribution ceased after the show was licensed, and if we liked the show, we bought the DVDs after they were released. This is what I signed up for when I got into this hobby. And when I followed this code, and I did, I was the good guy, I was doing the best I could in the murky legal waters. When streaming came on and Crunchyroll went legit, the whole paradigm shifted. And suddenly I was the baddie, despite not doing anything different that before. Well, I embraced my new evil nature and became a passionate fansub defender, but I still feel rather bitter about the whole thing. It wasn't that I started being a bad guy, but rather the good guys all left me.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And now it's even more fun when we have Hi10P, a 10-bit h.264 profile which allows for better quality in things like banding and gradients at even smaller filesizes than 8-bit.

No you have a few anime technofa...technophiles bandwagoning a technology with tiny gains, poor performance, and high compatibility issues just to wag their epeen around.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
And now it's even more fun when we have Hi10P, a 10-bit h.264 profile which allows for better quality in things like banding and gradients at even smaller filesizes than 8-bit.

No you have a few anime technofa...technophiles bandwagoning a technology with tiny gains, poor performance, and high compatibility issues just to wag their epeen around.

That may be, but the filesizes are smaller for the same or better picture quality. And you're going to see a good number of fansubbers adopted it fully in the coming seasons.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mainly because nobody does that. Nobody buys an expensive US TV series on DVD for fifty bucks unless they're already a fan of it. Nobody picks up a brand-new Hollywood movie on Blu-ray on release day for 25 bucks unless they've already seen it and they want to own it.

You'd be surprised. You'd be very surprised at how often this actually happens. While I don't do this myself, (I'm an information seeker, I always seek the info on things I am interested in to see if I'm really interested), I have known people to do this quite often, especially if said movies/tv series/whatever is on sale at a bargain price. It's called trying something new. Sometimes the description of a series or movie is enough for someone to buy it and try it out.

It's more practical to buy what you are a fan of, that's true, but that doesn't stop people from trying things out. I've known people to buy movies they've never seen because they thought it sounded interested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6