• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Manga (for scanlation readers)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I still contend that there's going to be a little something after the end of the final battle, but it could very well involve Naruto and Sasuke. Personally, I would like to see something like the end of a classic kung fu movie. For instance, a number of people would settle their scores through a massive battle that took some time. Naruto, Sasuke, Orochimaru and others could duke it out to end the series. If anyone's seen a 1970s-era Shaw Bros. motion picture, they know exactly what I'm talking about.

By the way, I've had a question about Naruto from a while back that I've wanted to ask and I couldn't find any better place to put it. I hope that's okay. Naruto Chapter 420 opens with a splash panel of a number of people holding up fingers as though they were counting. Does that mean anything? Are the digits significant or not?
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
It's a splash of all the tailed beast users. The number they're holding up is how many tails their beast has.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I feel pretty dim right about now, especially because I neglected the word "Tails" in the image. Thank you for setting me straight.
Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The naruto series is getting ridiculous. Its sad that the series is ending so weakly. They wanted to shock readers so they reveal that Tobi is Obito but the story behind it all is crappy. Its such a poor way to end a series that started off strong. Its like kishi just tried to make up something as fast as he can. To much of this series is unnecessary fighting based on emotions. "Im hurt, I wanna make the world feel my pain"...
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
...And all Hell breaks loose.

Oh yeah, and so does spoiler[Ten-Tails].
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Damn, I loved and hated chapter 613 so much... MAJOR SPOILERS (seriously, don't peek unless you've read it): spoiler[Kishimoto, I mean, Madara, just killed off my favorite Dad characters. He just put my favorite character, Shikamaru through even more pain, as we see him viscerally reacting to his father being blown up whilst psychically connected to him through Inoichi. The entire Joint Shinobi Army lost their best strategists, and they know it. Shikamaru's pain and Ino's tears really got me at the end of the chapter.

The chapter was structured so well, and this move definitely got my attention. From Madara using the same strategy at the end of the chapter that he critiqued the JSA for trying at the beginning of the chapter, to showing us (okay, *telling* us, too) that Juubi can be used as a long-range missile launching device, able to attack distant targets with precision with seemingly no limits, this chapter was far more interesting in terms of plot motion than the last...well, probably since the Obito reveal. Certainly the casualty rate was a factor, too. Damn it! I seriously loved Shikaku and Inoichi!]

I didn't mind the Obito reveal. Not only has it been suspected for years, but the flashbacks explained his transformation. The guy is barely even human any more, and has been an ideological puppet for Madara for just about as long as he's been alive (considering that he's been under Madara's thumb for a longer time than he was a genin for Konoha).

What keeps this manga interesting to me is not that Madara is the Big Bad, Obito the Lacky and Jubi the Weapon, that's all boring. But Orochimaru and Sasuke are still out there, working together. Each has his own agenda (and I'm not sure Sasuke even knows what his agenda is at this point, and who knows what Orochimaru, or what's left of him, is thinking?). They are major wildcards to the main characters, to the course of the war, and to each other. If they are utilized properly, things will get very exciting quickly.

And if not--I still have an emotional connection with these characters. i want to know how the Konoha 11, their teachers and allies will turn out.

I think it might e time to invest in a Shonen Jump Alpha subscription and get the proper translation of these manga, especially if Bleach continues to become...readable (ish). (I'm just barely holding on through character love in Bleach).
NeburPT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
No comments on spoiler[Neji's death]? Finally the war is getting a sense of chaos and hopelessness - remember that we were basically told in a single panel that around half of the shinobi forces had been wiped out by the zetsus and edo tensei guys, but that was something very abstract and not even a minor character had died, only "extras".

The scene with Shikamaru and Ino's fathers was good because their deaths were reflected on their children faces and on their expressions - it wasn't graphic and was a distant happening, but that showed how insignificant they were compared to the Juubi's power. Now, through spoiler[Neji's departure], Naruto will have to face directly the loss of a friend who died embracing him and protecting him. Hinata didn't die when she faced Pain (although he didn't know that at the time and could only assume the worst), and Naruto wasn't present when Jiraiya died, he was only told the news and couldn't do anything - so I'm very curious to know how he will react to such a close and sudden encounter with the death of one of his friends.

spoiler[Neji's death] was sudden, unexpected and ocurred in a very physical way, finally lending a more direct meaning to Naruto's urge to protect his own people - and to let him know he is failing, as Tobi just taunted him. spoiler[Neji] was one of my favourite characters, and although he didn't have an important role to play in Shippuden and I wished he could have done more, I thought his last scene was well executed and I'm hoping Kishimoto continues to give this sense of weight to the war, since, as you all know, this hasn't been particularly a good arc (Ginkaku and Kinkaku, anyone?) but has been getting better and better at last.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Neji Hyuga isn't a character that people would drop the series for having been killed off but is still significant enough to Naruto Uzumaki, the main character, to incite a significant resolution on his part. Neji's death doesn't send the storyline one step backward as a means to take two steps forward, it just takes a step forward.
theturd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
The latest chapters have been real good. This series get too much hate for no good reason.

Anyway... I'm hoping Tobi somehow will realize what he is doing is evil and wrong beyond comprehension. He was a nut when he was a kid too, but at least not the twisted, evil nut he is now. It's like he lost his humanity. Madara is just plain evil.

For now I don't see how they can be beat, but I bet Kurama is their strongest bet.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
Naruto and Hinata shippers are happy I bet. I find it funny how Naruto SD morbidly foreshadowed this

Ah well, Neji will live on in Naruto SD forum and amusing us, at least. Assuming Obito doesn't pull a Nagato and revive everyone in the end as redemption. Overall I've been enjoying this arc very much.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Assuming Obito doesn't pull a Nagato and revive everyone in the end as redemption.

Oh GOD, I REALLY HOPE NOT.

But Kishi is such a coward when it comes to killing main characters so I think that what he'll do.

Kishi really ruined his own manga.

Tobi was such an interesting, fun main villain. A combination of Darth Vader and Voldemort but with a sense of humor.

...Untill Kishi ruined his character by giving him stupid, cliche motivations. Turned him into another whining Emo like Sasuke and then relegated him to be Madara's little bitch.

He shouldn't have made him to be Obito. That was a HUGE mistake.

Tobi should have been the real Madara.

I mean, Naruto, the main protagonist doesn't even know who Obito is. Another HUGE mistake.

So many mistakes.
Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Assuming Obito doesn't pull a Nagato and revive everyone in the end as redemption.

Oh GOD, I REALLY HOPE NOT.

But Kishi is such a coward when it comes to killing main characters so I think that what he'll do.

Kishi really ruined his own manga.

Tobi was such an interesting, fun main villain. A combination of Darth Vader and Voldemort but with a sense of humor.

...Untill Kishi ruined his character by giving him stupid, cliche motivations. Turned him into another whining Emo like Sasuke and then relegated him to be Madara's little bitch.

He shouldn't have made him to be Obito. That was a HUGE mistake.

Tobi should have been the real Madara.

I mean, Naruto, the main protagonist doesn't even know who Obito is. Another HUGE mistake.

So many mistakes.

I couldn't agree more...Tobi shouldn't have been obito. Kishi might as well just made him an old madara with a zetsu shell. I kinda do like the idea of obito but his "becoming" story should have been better than meeting some old man and letting him convince you to do all this.

As far as Naruto not knowing Obito..he doesn't know who Madara is either. I personally think kishi made a few mistakes throughout Part 2 mainly. It felt more like he was just making it up as he was going as opposed to planning ahead.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
So basically 619 establishes that the Uchiha are biologically predisposed to be emo.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
So basically 619 establishes that the Uchiha are biologically predisposed to be emo.

Yeah, I laughed at that bit, but I think it fits in rather nicely with the whole Ninja Soap-Opera that is Naruto. I love it. All Sasuke really is is to have a good cry and to hug someone.

Seriously though, does this mean if he goes back to accepting the bonds of friendship and love and all that good stuff, does that mean he'll give up the Sharingan in the process?

I like this little twist Kishimoto is playing with. I think the conclusion to the series just got a little bit closer.
mhallsenseiii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

That's true I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 77 of 79