• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya & Cutie Honey English Dubs to Premiere at Sakura-Con

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote
I doubt dubbing Cutey Honey would sell many more copies, but hopefully they can make it more campy and less artsy than the Japanese version.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little baffled that Bandai didn't license Re: Cutie Honey, too, if not over the live action movie. The movie was alright, but the anime tie-in would have made a nice bundle pack to sweeten the deal. I guess the main selling point is that Anno directed it (and there by justifying the licensing of it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote
Sam: I'm assuming Toei's holding out, as usual. Either that, or Bandai's waiting to gauge sales for the film to see if they want to take a chance on the OVA. The last one which got released here seemed to be the only Go Nagai anime embraced by American fans, but Go Nagai's not very big here in general. Bandai seems to be emphasizing the Anno connection over Nagai, even though the latter artist makes a cameo in the film. Though the fact that they're dubbing it at all indicates they want to reach a larger audience than the people who bought the Oshii "trilogy".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1