• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Renews Prince of Tennis, MÄR

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
That's nice.

Too bad that I lost interest in watching either of these two titles after the way Cartoon Network FIRST aired them.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
That's nice.

Too bad that I lost interest in watching either of these two titles after the way Cartoon Network FIRST aired them.

Yeah that's what lots of people have been saying about these titles....well at least those with knowledge of how the episodes originally aired. I am probably going to check these out via dvds anyways.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Prince of Tennis airs at 10 pm and MAR airs at 10:30 pm. They switched timeslots 3 weeks back when Cartoon Network started airing the episodes in order.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I was going to say does anyone even care anymore? But I'll just assume nobody does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I care...
not in a deep commited way, but still...
I like anything (nearly) anime better than their comedy line-up myself.
I am still watching them since they started showing them in order.
domino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that the Prince of Tennis dub is so... confused (like, "did they even watch the original version before scripting this?" confused). It's getting better, though.

To bad that no matter how good a dub is, you're going to run into BIG problems if you don't even show the episodes in order. Especially for something as linear and character-development-based as Prince of Tennis...

Oh well. In any case, glad they got more episodes. Go go tennis! Now if only they'll switch to the actual opening song.... (Viz gave that care to Bobobo, Bleach, and Naruto, so why not Prince of Tennis? What happened?)
Nebs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

You mean with all the episodes in order? Cause that is how they first showed them, on Jestream. When they first televised the shows, they wanted to get new people caught up with the series so they can start watching them online if they weren't doing so yet. It was really a good idea. After getting caught up by showing people the "most important" eps so far, new people could now view them on Jetstream without feeling like they missed out on too much. They were free to see them online long before they air on TV, which is what Toonami's goal was. Now that they were caught up with Jetstream, they could then start showing the series again from the beginning, this time with all of the episodes since they already accomplished their goal & that anyone interested in watching them online first would be doing so already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
This is a great move for CN because before these shows premire on Toonami there wasnt anything worthwhile on Toonami to watch besides Naruto. Now,I got three great shows to watch on Toonami now.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Nebs"]
LydiaDianne wrote:
You mean with all the episodes in order? Cause that is how they first showed them, on Jestream.
And everyone that watches Cartoon Network watches Toonami Jetstream since when?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Nebs wrote:
You mean with all the episodes in order? Cause that is how they first showed them, on Jestream.
And everyone that watches Cartoon Network watches Toonami Jetstream since when?

Did you even read the rest of his/her post? They aired them out of order because they wanted more people to watch it on Jetstream.

I hate when people only read the first two sentences of a paragraph and assume they know what the entire thing says, I really do.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
MÄR? Good choice. Prince of Tennis? Not the best. But..the curious question is, what of Hikaru no Go? Will it vanish off of the face of Planet Namek?
herbkir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see CN got the next season of MAR in particular. I think they really missed the mark by airing only selected episodes on TV, on the mistaken assumption that most of their target audience gets their video fare online. PoT is okay, I guess, but MAR is more my type of show.

I guess someone, somewhere realized there are still lots of kids who don't have unrestricted access to a computer so they can watch Toonami online. Now, maybe, these shows will be able to build up a big audience with both TV and online going for them. (^_*)
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Actually, Prince of Tennis airs at 10 pm and MAR airs at 10:30 pm. They switched timeslots 3 weeks back when Cartoon Network started airing the episodes in order.

They switched it to where Prince of Tennis is at 10:30 and MÄR at 10. Originally MÄR was at 10:30 and PoT at 10.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't watch these. But I am glad they are still kicking. If more people watched anime, may be we could all play tennis or chess together. Me would perfer the later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Oh well. In any case, glad they got more episodes. Go go tennis! Now if only they'll switch to the actual opening song.... (Viz gave that care to Bobobo, Bleach, and Naruto, so why not Prince of Tennis? What happened?)

First, "Bobobo" isn't being handled by Viz, the TV version was done by Toei. Second, "Bleach" is airing on Adult Swim, which nowadays uses the original openings for their anime shows. Third, "Naruto" is the biggest thing since "DBZ", so it's more or less 'earned' the right for the original opening.

As for why "Prince of Tennis" doesn't get its original opening, I wouldn't be surprised if it's because the original opening is boring. Also, remember, "Naruto" got an Americanized ending to begin with as well.

Malintex Terek wrote:
what of Hikaru no Go? Will it vanish off of the face of Planet Namek?

While I don't know if they'll continue airing it on Jetstream, the show can't air on Toonami itself because it's already airing on AZN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2