• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Entertainment Financial Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Um... does anybody remember how almost about last year how 4-kids licensed Pretty Cure and how it was supposed to be aired in the fall? And also, has Mew Mew Power been canceled or something? Because you can see Mew Mew Power/ Tokyo Mew Mew can still be seen on there website, and so is the same with Ojamajo Doremi/ Magical Doremi- you can still see it on there website and yet they still don't air any new episodes of both series? Can someone please tell me whats wrong here and or give me some information so I can know what is going on here? Because I am really confused right now...
firecrouch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anything came out of Al Kahn's "Pretty Cure" announcement. "Doremi" and "Mew Mew" are definitely cancelled, but 4Kids still has the rights to them, so there really isn't any need to take them off the website.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
v1cious wrote:
is 4kids involved in the TMNT movie?

if you've seen the trailer the fact that the movie was full of lame jokes and bad dialog! geez Kahn sure is a clueless idiot, the results have been going down all year long and he still has yet to say "you know, i should stop giving those anime fans the middle finger. and i should apologize for saying that kids don't read" i bet those two things would be a good start. wonder how much longer it will take for them to file bankruptcy? oh yeah and people, don't under any condition watch that TMNT movie!

No, no watch the TMNT movie.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for helping me decide to not watch the TMNT film Khan. If you're profiting, I won't be watching. Razz

All fads run out sooner or later, and when a business is based on a marketing fad, its lifespan is finite.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote

>>uncutpokemon
>>naruto fan 09812

This might sound insipid, but can anyone with names like these really be taken seriously?

Sketchor wrote:

Something that wasn't mentioned here was that Al Kahn annouced that 4kidsTV will be focusing entirely on boys 6-11/9-14 with gaming oriented programing including of course Viva Pinata and Chaotic but YGO GX is also going to be airing on 4kidsTV in Fall. I'm not sure if this means CN will still be airing it or not but I would imagine they'd at least lose the premieres to 4kidsTV in the near future. Currently I don't believe GX is even on CN.

They're also dropping Winx Club and Bratz because of this change.

Now, what the fudge is all this about? I've have thought 4Kids to move where their financial interests are best satisfied but this is a delusional shot in the foot. As if 4Kids hadn't been thoroughly castrated already! Young girls are the *strongest* demographic attracted to Saturday Morning blocs right now and 4Kids is basically saying, "screw that, all captains go down with their ships"?

After this move, I think everyone can admit 4Kids isn't a corporation that "only cares about money"; it cares about "ideology". Any corporation that values what it stands for rather than what it can earn undermines its very nature and therefore is deserving of any misfortune that should come its way; corporations are artificial, godless, souless legal entities, and ideology should only serve as a tool to attract investors. It shouldn't be the cornerstone of its economic policy!

Sketchor wrote:

At least I have the solice that they no longer control One Piece's fate in the US but there's no telling when we'll see episodes beyond what 4kids has already dubbed. I'm hopeful for Fall of 2007 or Spring of 2008 though. At the latest some time in 2009 (ugh...).

Aye, murky waters ahead.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
[if you've seen the trailer the fact that the movie was full of lame jokes and bad dialog!
Someone has never seen the live action versions of them. Yikes. I know it was made for kids, but there was more cheese then a box of Velveeta. But you got to love those childhood memories. Besides, 4Kids has nothing to do with TMNT the movie. I might watch the orignal cartoon series, since that's where my childhood is at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
What 4kids needs to do is to get a series and cut back quite a bit on the editing, or if you know that a series has a lot of blood in it and suggestive things, DON'T GET IT.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

yeah understand that aspect... but still, isn't that kind of low?

I think that's kind of the point: 4Kids isn't doing all the wonderfully.
infoman99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
it's because their not sellin merchandise tthat's part of the reason
their losing sales/stock
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
What 4kids needs to do is to get a series and cut back quite a bit on the editing, or if you know that a series has a lot of blood in it and suggestive things, DON'T GET IT.

4kids is too stupid to do that lol.

If a dub like Naruto is ok for kids then 4kids should get the hint. Maybe then they will get more money and get some more respect, but thats a BIG maybe considering what they did to One Piece.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
Well, seeing that 4Kids has "lost' the One Piece license, my usual spiel of them trying to diversify into the adult market has pretty much eroded into a token support for those other worthless anime properties. I mean, who would by uncut Tokyo Mew Mew?
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
Sketchor wrote:
Something that wasn't mentioned here was that Al Kahn annouced that 4kidsTV will be focusing entirely on boys 6-11/9-14 with gaming oriented programing including of course Viva Pinata and Chaotic but YGO GX is also going to be airing on 4kidsTV in Fall. I'm not sure if this means CN will still be airing it or not but I would imagine they'd at least lose the premieres to 4kidsTV in the near future. Currently I don't believe GX is even on CN.

They're also dropping Winx Club and Bratz because of this change.

I'm assuming that means that no, we will never see any DVDs for Doremi or Mew Mew, much less uncut ones.
It would also explain why both were dropped from TV, and what the hell ever did happen to Pretty Cure? Did they ever even cut it up and air it? I don't watch 4kidsTV, so I wouldn't know...

I guess that's the life of a magical girl fan, though. Chances of domestic, uncut releases are slim because most of the market (10-14 girl anime fans) is just fine watching it on youtube or with fansubs and really don't give a shit about supporting the anime companies. And if you really want to support a series, then you buy the R2. *sigh*

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I mean, who would by uncut Tokyo Mew Mew?

I would! ... but I'd probably even buy the cut ones, if they actually released any. Which seeing that it's dub fandom has pretty much died since they took it off the air, is unlikely.
Ninja337

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Ninja337 wrote:
4Kids, as the name suggests, is for kids. When I was in fourfth grade, I loved Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon, and I didn't mind the editing. I obviously don't like them now, because I'm frosh in High School, although I still watch the pokemon dubs lol. If you hate 4kids, thats expected, unless you're like 11 years old and browsing ANN. The reason 4kids is not succeeding in it's sales have very little to do with a demographic that their products do not aim for. IMHO 4Kids TV is becoming very unsuccessful because kids aren't watching Saturday morning cartoons anymore, and are watching more shows after school and on weekends. They should try to get Fox to give them the 2:00PM to 3:00PM block that I remember Kid's WB once had on the WB and stick some shows there, although that still won't fix the fact that Miguzi has frickin Naruto, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX on it's schedule, which is like an 8 year old's version of a wet dream.
I understands what you are saying Ninja337 that they demographic is for kids. But the main reason why people hate 4KIDS because they are taking anime that was never meant for kids and butchering its to garbage kids fair. And that why anime fans hate its so much. And make people mad that their anime which is now turn into a dub,get butcher to mindless kiddy fare.

Titles like One Peice and Yu-Gi-Oh! were very popular in Japan among kids 10+, I'm pretty sure that Eichiro Oda or Takahashi would not want to sacrifice this demographic around the world just because of a few cultural gaps like blood, sex, race, and religion.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
I believe that slowly 4kids will fall... That a in a few years they will either A. Realize Uncuts are the way to go or B. Fall into complete obscurity IE: Go out out business...

Note: I said Slowly and years... 2011 at least... to be reasonable... I sure hope something like that does happen...
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
I believe that slowly 4kids will fall... That a in a few years they will either A. Realize Uncuts are the way to go...

Not that I like things edited, but I disagree with this. An uncut series will sell to anime fans, but the mass kiddie market doesn't care. Parents in the masses, on the other hand, do care. Uncut scares a lot of them. An anime doesn't need to be put out uncut to get mass market sales of merchandise. What it needs is a creatively done and well written edited script that will make it entertaining to a ten year old while not scaring off networks and parents. 4Kids seems to currently lack the staff to do this, or needs to find better marketing and airing blocks/channels for the series it releases. Anime fans by themselves are a very minor part of the overall market, and they don't produce the kind of revenue a company like 4Kids is looking for.

Anyway, awhile back they said they were getting out of anime to focus more on in-house stuff. Licensing costs are becoming too high to turn a profit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4