• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Entertainment Financial Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I mean, who would by uncut Tokyo Mew Mew?

Ummm, lots of people. Tokyo Mew Mew is very popular on youtube and bittorrent. And guess what lots of kids I talk to like their shows uncut, and choose to watch the 4kids properties on the net instead for that reason. I think people are over-looking the fact that as anime fandom and the internet's easy access to information and media has matured in the US, the younger fans have become for sophisticated. However, many companies, people, fans, etc. don't realize this becuase they can only relate to their own experience as children who enjoyed goofy, hacked up shows.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
It actually is kind of surprising how young sophisticated anime fandom can be. At the VIZ Media manga panel at last year's AX the rep's were pleasantly surprised by how much people were demanding stuff like "Black Jack" and "Rose of Versailles". It wasn't just that there were so many requests for old classic series, but that most of these people were not much younger than me. I was 18 years-old and thought I'd be the youngest fan of their Signature there, but this girl that was probably only 13 or 14 years-old exclaimed that the reason fans are always demanding and buying new stuff is because there isn't enough exposure through scanlations to support those types of manga. I know this is kind of off-topic, but I just felt like saying it.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the main reasons why they're not getting the rest of the Tokyo Mew Mew episodes is that if most of you known during around the later episodes around episodes 38 and so, the show does get a little dark like Sailor Moon which contained some graphical content.

Sure Onepiece had a butt load of graphic violence like Luffy's bloody fights with Don kreig, Crocodile and Arlong, but yet, 4kids managed to handle them editing out all the blood to death and chaging those poison darts to suction cups.

but how ever Tokyo Mew Mew had some dark stuff like in Sailor Moon like spoiler[ Near the end of the series Kishu was stabbed and killed bu Deep blue in episode 51][/b] and the scenes where Kishu shows a darker cruler side to him are pretty darn right disturbing, more than Onepiece.

and one of the main reasons why onepiece is so edited much because of it's more cartoony animation while Tokyo Mew Mew had more serious Bishoujo animation which it's graphic contents can be more difficult to edit,

This is also one of the main reasons why One piece is so less popular here in the states than Naruto and Bleach, because of it's cartoony animation and rediculouse amounts of edits, people don't even wanna give the japanese version a try and are turned off it immediantly, which is why Tokyo Mew Mew is more successful on youtube.

the only anime that got a decent treatment was Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman Nisei.

see what i'm saying?

Last edited by ChronoBall X on Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:52 pm; edited 18 times in total
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

Ummm, lots of people. Tokyo Mew Mew is very popular on youtube and bittorrent.

And how many of those people would ante up money to see that show? When people have something to risk their true dispositions start to manifest; this is a fact in business and in gambling.

The internet is a notoriously bad indicator of popularity.

firecrouch wrote:
It wasn't just that there were so many requests for old classic series, but that most of these people were not much younger than me.

I wouldn't be surprised. No matter how young, people who go to conventions are significantly removed from the main-stream demographics, so it's not a small stretch of the imagination to concieve of them knowing about obscure anime titles (by Western classification).

With "anime fan" parents, it's even more likely those youngsters be used as promotional vehicles for people with nostalgia for aged anime; I provide two examples. One, I saw a documentary of "Trekkies" at an auction in New York, where a lady who got into the Star Trek phenomenon as a girl was there with her daughter and grand-daughter, all there to "share" in the love for the franchise (dear god, give me faith).

My second example is one of Yotsuba's 'legends' if you could call it that; a strange gent named "Viaggatore" is infamous for long ago telling the /a/-board that he would cosplay his own ten-year old daughter as "Vita" from Nanoha. Granted, being associated with a parent like that would either condition the poor girl or mentally scar her; I'm more inclined toward the former, though I can't really relate.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Malintex Terek"]
J-Syxx wrote:

That's my song you're singing there.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

That's my song you're singing there.

'tis not copy-righted, is it? I'd hate to pay royalties.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:49 am Reply with quote
Quite frankly , as long as 4Kids stays away from anime not meant for young children, I don't care what happens to them. If the losses water keeps leaking inside their ship bringing it further down below it's profits water line, the board will make Kahn walk the plank and rightly so. If I was on their board I'd be putting forward a proposal for a spin-off called 4Adults.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote
Sink faster, dammit! Your company should be dead already!

Hopefully a mixture of financial troubles and the relative failure of One Piece will be enough to keep them away from anime from now on... (I doubt it, though)
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Can you give me some decent examples regarding anime, since you seem to know so much about the business? I'm just reminded that one of the most successful anime out right now, Naruto, was huge on bittorent/etc. before it became huge on tv. If people don't think there was a connection there, I'd say they are on crack.

There isn't a strong link between Youtube and "Mew Mew Power" because the show wasn't just lightly edited, it was butchered. Yes, I have heard 11 year old girls say that 4Kids made it suck, and no they weren't put up to it by their parents.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I'm just reminded that one of the most successful anime out right now, Naruto, was huge on bittorent/etc. before it became huge on tv. If people don't think there was a connection there, I'd say they are on crack.

I'll address this, but I first have to mention how sort of... well, funny this is, considering that this was the same thing Terex stood for (still stands for?) and I was trying to call him out on it.

Now, in regards to Naruto's popularity, yes, it was very popular on Youtube/Bittorrent/Anime fandom/people in general before it came over to the US. However, it's an action cartoon about super-rad fighting ninjas and fireballs and whatever the hell else. It's also a Shonen Jump property, with a huge ammount of merchandise to be sold and released, and whatever else. It's internet popularity didn't decide whether or not it would come over, because I honestly doubt that 98% of the people watching the fansubs would want to go and watch the dub, because they've spent like, 150 episodes with one type of voice cast, and no edits. Moreso the opposite, I'd imagine.

It's like saying Advent Children came out here because of the fansubbed version, and not because FFVII was a horrendously successful game that continues to sell (where you can find it, though, is another thing). It's basically wrong, except a bit harder to prove considering that Naruto didn't have any directly previous series or games or whatever, but something like Dragonball Z, which is somewhat similar in nature, did tremendously well, and it's more "anime" (people shooting fireballs, haircuts, blahblahblah) than One Piece.

I realise I'm getting a bit tangled up in words, but pretty much the sum of it is that Naruto did not come out here because it was popular on Bittorrent, or at the very least, it did not play a huge role in it coming out here.

Something like Azumanga Daioh, from what I can remember, was bought out through ADV BECAUSE it was popular in the fansub scene. Apparently that release tanked, because it wasn't 100% to whichever fansub group did it, or the discs had herpes or whatever else.

Also, to finalise things, sure, internet popularity can change the direction of business models, marketting, and whatever else. Look at all of the various "bloggity blog blog" things out there, iPods, whatever else. However, when it comes to Anime, a medium that generally comes here late and costs relativley more money than US produced material, and considering the Internet is filled with self-entitlement kiddies, it's not exactly profitable to gage interest and prospective returns based on them, considering their very noticable "anti establishment: attitude to the adaptation and dubbing of Anime.

PS I eat dongs.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The bottom line is, the Internet is a double-edged sword when it comes to gauging popularity for an anime. I don't think the Internet determines commercial popularity, but it certainly can reflect it.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I mean, who would by uncut Tokyo Mew Mew?

Ummm, lots of people.

Prove it. Show me 100,000 people with cash in hand, then i'll believe you.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
It's also a Shonen Jump property, with a huge ammount of merchandise to be sold and released, and whatever else.

See, this is what prepelxes me to no end. Kahn rode on the sucess of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh because of the merchendise. Then he picks up One Piece. OP has oddles of merch that would choke any Wal-Mart Store in the country to submission.

Now you'd think Kahn would capitalize on this. So what does he do?

Zip. Zero. Nada.

It then takes them what, 2 years after OP airs of 4Kids TV for a prototype OP Luffy action figure to come out at some Toy Fair??

I dunno what the reasons might be, but for a guy with the sort of experence, thats a real boondoggle.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
Saying that '4Kids just needs to stay away from anime not meant for kids' is a slippery statement. Isn't One Piece for kids? Wasn't DBZ? Isn't Naruto? I mean, I like two of those shows myself as an adult, but aren't they, in the eyes of the Japanese, kids' shows?

The problem is that even kids' shows from Japan have content that Americans are not always comfortable with (let's not make pejorative comments about those Americans, let's just acknowledge that they exist and have a right to their opinions and move on). Even Power Rangers was met with controversy in some places, inside and outside the U.S.

I think the answer is, as others have said, that 4Kids needs to target their edits appropriately and rewrite the script in a nonsucky manner. Don't buy a show with people getting shot and make the bullets suction cups or whatever. If it can't be edited down to a KidsWB level then don't try to place it there.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I think the answer is, as others have said, that 4Kids needs to target their edits appropriately and rewrite the script in a nonsucky manner. Don't buy a show with people getting shot and make the bullets suction cups or whatever. If it can't be edited down to a KidsWB level then don't try to place it there.

No, Kahn needs to rethink his marketing strategy period. If I was a stockholder at 4Kids and this bull**** happened, i'd be screaming bloody murder at Kahn over his ineptitude over why he failed miserably at OP.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Steven:
Quote:
Now, in regards to Naruto's popularity, yes, it was very popular on Youtube/Bittorrent/Anime fandom/people in general before it came over to the US. However, it's an action cartoon about super-rad fighting ninjas and fireballs and whatever the hell else. It's also a Shonen Jump property, with a huge ammount of merchandise to be sold and released, and whatever else. It's internet popularity didn't decide whether or not it would come over, because I honestly doubt that 98% of the people watching the fansubs would want to go and watch the dub, because they've spent like, 150 episodes with one type of voice cast, and no edits. Moreso the opposite, I'd imagine.

Yeah, the manga did well here, which why the anime was inevitable.

Quote:
Something like Azumanga Daioh, from what I can remember, was bought out through ADV BECAUSE it was popular in the fansub scene. Apparently that release tanked, because it wasn't 100% to whichever fansub group did it, or the discs had herpes or whatever else.

Case Closed and One Piece also seemed to have similar fates, although Azumanga's problem was it didn't really cross-over with girls as much as necessary. The only people who bought into it were the moe crowd.

Abarenbo: Not sure about the anime, but people are clearly buying the Mew Mew manga from Tokyopop, so it must at least be profitable, or they wouldn't be publishing the spin-off. In addition, Pokemon and YuGiOh were specifically about games; so they were more marketable to kids than OP. Kahn also technically hasn't "failed" yet, unless TMNT flops miserably, which it might, since it looks mediocre, and it's desperately riding the nostalgia wave like Bay's Transformers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4