• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite anime film that's NOT Ghibli.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Jin Roh The Wolf Brigade, I found it a masterpiece. The only anime I know of that would actually make a great live action too, and it also among my favourite films ever animated and non animated combined. Apart from a gripping storyline it also has great characters and music... I would have never said this would be something to go with Little Red Riding Hood...

Paprika, and all made by Satoshi Kon as a matter of fact. It is such a shame he died last year, not many full length anime pieces are coming out and he was one of the few directors that worked on something constantly.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Ninja Scroll- are another one of my all time favourites, and the best features from Kawajiri I have seen so far (not that he came up with many others, I have heard Patlabor was worth watching, but Highlander was quite weak and I think that was his last movie).

Metropolis: someone above mentioned it, and I wholeheartedly agree. When I first saw it I loved the old cartoons styled character design and the jazz music.

And also- Skycrawlers. I was watching it and I thought that it was not my piece of cake, and then I got engrossed in the story. There was definitely something special about it.

I'd also mention The Girl Who Leapt Through Time... I can't remember it all that well and I think I would need to rewatch it, but I remember liking it a lot. Fir the same reason I wont be elaborating on GiTS- I saw it 7 years ago :/
Honourable mention goes to Tekken Kinkreet Smile
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw another vote out there for Jin-Roh of the Wolf Brigade. It's a great movie about a military man who gets in the middle of some deathly dangerous politics and starts questioning whether he should continue blindly following orders. The Girl who Leapt Through Time and Tokyo Godfathers are close seconds. What I love about them is how they both have a good mix of comedy and sadness, and how they balance them perfectly so it really pulls at the ol' heartstrings.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
I'll throw another vote out there for Jin-Roh of the Wolf Brigade. It's a great movie about a military man who gets in the middle of some deathly dangerous politics and starts questioning whether he should continue blindly following orders. The Girl who Leapt Through Time and Tokyo Godfathers are close seconds. What I love about them is how they both have a good mix of comedy and sadness, and how they balance them perfectly so it really pulls at the ol' heartstrings.

I just ordered both Tokyo Godfathers and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a few days ago, so I am hoping I can enjoy them soon! They both look like fantastic movies.

Also, as a general note to everyone:
I was really considering picking up Summer Wars because it looks incredibly interesting. I see that a lot of people replied to this thread with Summer Wars as one of their favorite films. Is it comparable to any other works in anyway?
rojse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Akira - Tesuo starts to develop psychic powers at the expense of his sanity and morality. It's violent, stylish, rather intelligent, and has one of the best original movie soundtracks ever.

Blood: The Last Vampire - a mysterious girl, Saya, is given the task of hunting tetrapods in 1960's Japan, on an American military airbase. The animation is excellent, particularly the well-depicted battles, and the action barely lets up, with only

Memories - three greatly different science fiction short films. The first is a story about a crew that stumble through an abandoned space craft, and stumble into the world created by one of the crew's previous inhabitatants. The second is about a man that accidentally starts to belch out toxic fumes, and works as a rather humorous satire of the military. The third is about an entire civilization spending their lives priming and firing giant cannons at an unknown enemy. I think all of them are brilliant, each for vastly different reasons.

Roujin-Z - Katsuhiro Otomo's other science fiction anime film. An elderly man is made an experimental volunteer of a revolutionary aged-care program - one which will have the man inserted into a self-controlled machine, which will monitor and care for the patient for the rest of his days. However, the machine runs amok, causing havok everywhere it goes. And the artifical bed then turns into a self-constructing mechanical robot. It's an intelligent and humorous satire and has some quite exciting action scenes to boot.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - this is a brilliant action movie - well-developed and believeable characters, the setting is inventive and well-imagined, with all manner of strange and wonderous fantasy beasts, and the fight scenes are exciting and varied.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
ethanftw wrote:

I was really considering picking up Summer Wars because it looks incredibly interesting. I see that a lot of people replied to this thread with Summer Wars as one of their favorite films. Is it comparable to any other works in anyway?

I have not watched my BD of Summer Wars yet but it was directed by the same man who directed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and there appear to be definite similarities in art and character design; I get the impression there are some similarites in storytelling between the two as well. It seems most people who like one like the other as well, though there is some argument as to which film is better.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of obvious that Kon films would surface. I'd probably pick some too. Well, I've seen over a hundred anime movies so there are definitely some good ones outside Satoshi Kon and Ghibli.

Patlabor movie 1 is one of the finest pieces of real robot anime I've seen. It practically balance everything that it was build on and stands as the best of the franschise for me.

Legend of Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War: Okay, so what if it's not a stand alone movie? Still the animation and overall direction is superb and it works much better than the introductory episodes of the series. The other one: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is not too shabby either.

Run Melos! (1992): I'd say that this one of those very few anime movies with stories and direction that you'd probably found in live-action instead. I guess that was enough to sell me on it.

Jin-Roh: Dark and filled with grey morals. Stunning, realistic animation with menacing sound direction. I can still remember the sounds of those guns.

Windaria: I know that this one is a splitter. Some people like how the characters ended up taking on different roles that they were initially presented as, while others see it as inconsistency. However, I like the dark twists it takes and shows that even the naive ones can have a price.

Gauche the Cellist: Okay. So it's not much in terms of story, but I laughed and was entertained by it's simplicity. One of its kind.

Hi No Tori: So far I've only seen the first one of the three, but I liked it's grey views and great animation. Got me really interested in the works of Tezuka Osamu and made me wonder why I've been ignoring such important works earlier.

Mind Game: Funniest anime movie ever made. It's funny, trippy and artistic at the same time. A must see movie if you ask me.

They Were Eleven: Scifi survival. While not exactly mind blowing. I found that it stood out enough to keep me highly interested throughout the watch.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust: What can I say? Stunning looking light horror coolness.

Just to name a few.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
ethanftw wrote:

I have not watched my BD of Summer Wars yet but it was directed by the same man who directed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and there appear to be definite similarities in art and character design; I get the impression there are some similarites in storytelling between the two as well. It seems most people who like one like the other as well, though there is some argument as to which film is better.

Awesome, I haven't watched THWLTT yet, but I will in the next few days. It definitely looks appealing to me. I also believe you are right when you say that usually when someone likes on they like the other. It's usually like that with almost all directors it seems.

Also, when you said "BD", what does that mean? Lol, sorry if that is a stupid question.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
ethanftw wrote:

Also, when you said "BD", what does that mean? Lol, sorry if that is a stupid question.

Sorry. BD is short for Blu-Ray.
wcsinn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe no one has mentioned Sword of the Stranger directed by Masahiro Andō. Great story, great visuals, great music and awesome fight scene choreography - what else can you ask for.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Sword of the Stranger directed by Masahiro Andō. Great story, great visuals, great music and awesome fight scene choreography - what else can you ask for.

What is this? I'm interested.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Many of the films already mentioned are great non-Ghibli properties, but I just wanted to talk a little about another Kon movie I just saw: Millennium Actress.

WOW. This was an amazing experience. The first Kon film I saw was Paprika, and I know MA came before it. I saw so many of the magical realism concepts he used in Paprika, but in a more "real-life" setting. I would show this film to non-anime people to clue them into the wealth of talent in Japanese film making. I swear this would be great live-action or animated.
wcsinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
ethanftw wrote:
What is this? I'm interested.

This is an awesome samurai period piece, done by Bones, and IMHO easily the equal of any Miyazakii film - it really is that good. The synopsis from the official website:
No Name is a ronin who abandoned his name in troubled times, and who vowed to never unsheathe his sword again. Luo-Lang is a blond-haired, blue-eyed Western assassin working for the Ming Dynasty who feels something is missing from his life. No Name and Luo-Lang are destined to clash, as the only thing they believe in is their swordsmanship. These two strangers meet when a mysterious young boy named Kotaro enters their lives. They kill—and kill some more—in a blazing display of Japanese sword action, and ultimately find that they share a common destiny.

Give it a try, its easily available from Amazon and the usual suppliers.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:

Well, I did. Awesome movie. I even got to see it in a theater when it had that limited run here in the US.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
As for Ghibli, the only one I really like (love actually) is Nausicaa. I don't care for any other Ghibli related titles.

For non Ghibli films my favorites are:

Evangelion 2.22 [the well executed blockbuster of anime. Until recently was the top Blu-Ray anime movie experience as well...]
Jin-Roh [for its well executed tragic story and those MG42 scenes; the Blu-Ray is excellent in the audio department as well]
Origin:Spirits of the Past [this has a similar feel to Nausicaa for me but with a weaker story. Animation is top tier and beautiful to behold, audio is very good]
Summer Wars [for the heartfelt family bond and overall solid quality presentation]
Sword of the Stranger [very good adventure/ life journey story with some of the best sword fighting found in anime - excellent audio track as well]
The Sky Crawlers [interesting story that is contemplative, thought provoking, and emotional. It has excellent visuals and HD sound to boot]

I have just recently received and watched what is now my #1 favorite anime film though: Redline It's kind of weird, as it is the antithesis of the previous mentioned favorites - it is not a serious film at all, quite goofy in fact and is all about having fun with itself. However, it is a spectacular presentation of what the basics of anime is about done with the utmost care. Beautiful hand-drawn visuals with insane jaw dropping animation quality, the best anime HD audio track I've ever heard (easily bests Yukikaze, The Sky Crawlers, and Evangelion 2.22), and even though the plot is thin the story is woven in a fashion that stays perfectly true to its message through the entirety and is full of an indescribable emotion and charisma that is special to behold. Quite simply the best anime experience on Blu-Ray there has ever been - even if it is a 'simple' movie. I've watched it 5 times in the last 5 days...every viewing as exciting and special as the first.
Rick Dom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
As a Gundam fan I have to put in a vote for Char's Counterattack.

But getting away from Gundam I really love Venus Wars. Just the setting for the backstory (comet collides with planet, makes it semi-habitable) and the detail in the world makes it one of my favorites. Also the character designs are great, since its based on the manga by Yasuhiko Yoshikazu, who did the character designs for . . . the original Gundam. Crap. So much for getting away from Gundam.[/list]

I'll also throw up Robot Carnival simply for being so gobsmackingly beautiful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3