• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Noir Character Descriptions Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I worry that I might be adding fuel to Styrofoam fire, but I imagine that some people might be interested in some audition videos that have slithered into public view (one Mireille and two Kirikas). I'll be honest, I haven't yet had the heart to watch them, but I do think that Andrea Stefancikova looks pretty close to the part.

Apparently there is another character named Brigitte who isn't mentioned in the descriptions. There is little detail about her, but what there is suggests that she might be kinda awesome.

kakoishii wrote:
So Mireille has a finance (yes it's a finance not a husband so you actually got that point dead wrong)...

Among the faithful, dyspepsia seems to be the rule. That Mireille is married is a surprisingly common complaint amongst detractors of this project. I'm a little leery even of the idea of her being engaged, but that's not quite the same as married. If they do happen to dispose the fiance in fairly short order, I hope that they neither reduce Mireille to avenging 'her man' and if they take that as a chance to veer unexpectedly into embracing the 'yuri interpretation' of the original, I hope that they don't resort to a clunky or exploitative 'discovering my sexual identity' storyline.

It yet wonders me how an Islaamic cult has French name. That's not meant as indignity, but as either a nitpick or as curiosity, depending upon how charitable one feels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

kakoishii wrote:
So Mireille has a finance (yes it's a finance not a husband so you actually got that point dead wrong)...

Among the faithful, dyspepsia seems to be the rule. That Mireille is married is a surprisingly common complaint amongst detractors of this project. I'm a little leery even of the idea of her being engaged, but that's not quite the same as married. If they do happen to dispose the fiance in fairly short order, I hope that they neither reduce Mireille to avenging 'her man' and if they take that as a chance to veer unexpectedly into embracing the 'yuri interpretation' of the original, I hope that they don't resort to a clunky or exploitative 'discovering my sexual identity' storyline.

Honestly if that's what the detractors are the most upset about, I have to stand by my original statement: you're trying too hard. If not for this thread, I might not have known that I'm apparently in the minority who didn't see Kirika and Mireille's relationship as anything sexual or romantic (I mean geeze, I don't quite recall Kirika's age but I always assumed she couldn't have been older than 14). I always saw their relationship as close and nurturing especially Mireille towards Kirika, but not romantic. Why would it be anything short of piss in the bucket if the live action didn't try and turn their relationship into anything more than that? At least for me, what made Noir great wasn't shipping Kirika and Mireille as a couple, it was pretty much everything else. If you're gonna be upset about anything why not something more pertinent like how the Soldats are now an Islamic shogunate or whatever? Yeah, definitely trying too hard...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
...people might be interested in some audition videos that have slithered into public view (one Mireille and two Kirikas)...

The audition videos suggest that the central plot driving device - Mireille and Kirika need to partner to unravel the mysteries of their pasts - is being maintained. I'm quite excited by this.

Quote:
...I do think that Andrea Stefancikova looks pretty close to the part...

Andrea Stefancikova's appearance and acting lack the softness of Mireille in the anime. Part of the appeal of the original is that she is both cold-blooded killer and mother figure.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
Hahahahah. Oh man. Ohhhh man. Anybody who has seen Noir or, hell, knows anything about Kirika knows just how wrong this is:

spoiler[First scene: Here, Milosh is a student who reads poetry to Kirika. She says she doesn't know what love is. He kisses her, spouts more poetic BS. Kirika removes her clothes and bluntly asks him if he wants to "fudge" her. She isn't shy about it at all. They have sex and Kirika is really happy about it. She says she loves him, makes him say that he loves her too, makes him promise he'll never say it to anyone else.

Second scene: Kirika catches Milosh screwing another girl while declaring his love. Kirika is upset because he said he loved the other girl. Milosh tries to apologize and the other girl says he's a dog. Kirika mortally wounds the girl in a gruesome manner before stabbing Milosh. ]
Source

Hahhaha. So funny. And those auditions... even more hilarity. I may tune in for "and ditch him... and his tiny cock!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4