• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amagami SS Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Well that cool they should at less go with a harem route this time
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
weird... they say second season and I guess they could "do" more girls but the show already covered everything.

Unless they wanted to re-adapt it into a more traditional harem romance that incorporates the stories into one and chooses one girl. The only route that came close to that was the extra episode with the stalker girl.

No, they haven't. Each girl had four different possible ends. So if they wanted to do it fully, there could be whole episodes for each end depending on how the relationship develops. The ignore route doesn't count since that's like a negative route.

Best, Good, Normal, and Bad. Not every single end was for the anime was Best or even Good. Some were pretty bad, like Rihoko.

And I do agree on the harem route for being some kind of supplemental arc where he gets all of them at once. Honestly, Amagami's omnibus style is the ONLY way to properly do a galge anime, otherwise the main character will ALWAYS make the poorest decision in female in an anime. It might seem like a "safe" route, but it really does please everyone because there's no room for waifu wars when each waifu is equally represented. Now the traditional "every girl at once" style just seems....obsolete, and made worse than the childhood friend never wins, the rich ojousama type never wins, the cool awesome friend never wins, it's only ever the annoying tsundere. The omnibus style really is a breathe of fresh air, even if it is closer to the original galge and might seem like it's cheating. So I am being pandered to because my choice in girl is guaranteed to have a good amount of screentime, I wouldn't have it any other way. And if I don't like one girl, I can just skip her arc and not miss anything, at all.
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
hmmm, doesn't sound great, they didn't exactly have any more characters they could do, none of them played a big enough role in the first season to warrant an arc

however, assuming its only 12 episodes (3 x 4 episode arcs, can't think of 6 characters for a 24 episode anime) i could think they might do Hibiki Tsukahara, Maya Takahashi (teacher) and a total re-do of the Rihoko Sakurai arc (the ending really ruined that arc), you could maybe do an arc for one of the member's of the tea club but i don't see it myself
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
weird... they say second season and I guess they could "do" more girls but the show already covered everything.

Unless they wanted to re-adapt it into a more traditional harem romance that incorporates the stories into one and chooses one girl. The only route that came close to that was the extra episode with the stalker girl.

No, they haven't. Each girl had four different possible ends. So if they wanted to do it fully, there could be whole episodes for each end depending on how the relationship develops. The ignore route doesn't count since that's like a negative route.

Best, Good, Normal, and Bad. Not every single end was for the anime was Best or even Good. Some were pretty bad, like Rihoko.

The anime end for Rihoko is actually her good end Shocked (Actually not the complete good end, since in the VN the tea club eventually closes because they can't get anyone else.) And the very end of the Ai arc comes from her bad end (the part at the beach) (though the part at the spring is from the best end). The Kaoru, Sae, and Haruka arcs are Best Ends, and Tsukasa is a mix of the Best End and Good End (in her Best End, she quits the student council when she blows up on the girls, while in the Good End she never shows her true personality).
tyer123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they will whip out "REALLY BAD END" in the second season for all the girls? Would be funny to see a School Days sort of ending with Sae going insane Anime hyper
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Honestly, Amagami's omnibus style is the ONLY way to properly do a galge anime...

I disagree. If you want a long-form reason why, read my comments on Amagami SS in my MyAnime list. But short form:

--- It destroys the notion of "true love", which grates on a romanticist like myself. An omnibus-style show implies that you can fall in love with just anyone, rather than there being special people (A.K.A. "soulmates") out there who best match you.

--- It prevents the male lead from helping each girl with their problems. After all, he was the only one who could help them (due to a near-universally instigated plot convenience regime), so by going exclusively for one girl in each arc the other girls suffer. spoiler[Tsubasa would have remained unhappy and without anyone to confide in, Sae would still be ridiculously shy, Ai would not have had encouragement to get through her form slump, and the Tea Ceremony club would have been disbanded, much to Rihoko's chagrin.]

--- Four episodes is not enough time to flesh out a relationship for the average writer and director. Every arc ends up rushed rather than having a single arc that is better paced. Also, rushing things makes the developments less believable and natural.

--- Every arc your "waifu" is not the star of could well be a waste of time. That's over 83% of the show that is extraneous to your interests, except for brief cameos. Admittedly, those fans who aren't beholden to a single girl won't suffer this.

--- You have to sit through the same awkward scenes multiple times instead of once.

--- Each girl gets the same amount of episodes, but while many needed more spoiler[Rihoko didn't need as many, since romance-wise she ultimately went nowhere.] Adopting a rigid framework can be stifling and lead to filler despite the seemingly tight time constraints.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
The only arc that I didn't puke over in the anime was the Ayatsuji route, which wasn't that bad in all honesty. I can't imagine them successfully pulling off a 2nd season, repetitive at best in my opinion.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Depends how you measure success. The Amagami BD/DVDs definitely made a profit and I imagine a second season wouldn't suffer too much of a fall (unless there was a serious lapse in quality). It's not too hard to come with little 4 episode mini-arcs like Amagami has. No need to worry about how it affects continuity or interferes with other girl's arcs, so it's literally the easiest way to do the 'dating-sim' anime adaptation.
Sakura_jp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The first season was bad enough as it was. How are they going to do a second season? There is nothing to animate. Even if they do the other endings, what are they going to do, have 3 episodes for each girl and each episode is just an ending? Give me a break. Maybe they will do the true route, Miya, and just have the protagonist helping the girls with their problems on the side.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
This made my jaw drop. . . . . . First thing the crossed my mind was, "How?" because they already did all the girls from the game. But then I read some of the comments and it started to make a little more sense. I would love new routes that may have not been in the game, or the same routes as the first season with different endings on them. I really can't wait to see what they do with this.

It's not so much the routes as it is the endings to the routes. Like Rihoko getting completely shafted.

Rihoko is waste of ep #. the news season they have more Morishima, Nanasaki, Ayatsuji .
r0llchan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
¡Ay, caramba! señor!!!!! this is great news indeed! yahooo! Gadoken!!!! Laughing
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
Hope we get more yandere this time.
bin1127

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Harem End! Pleeeezzzz!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2