• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aya Hirano Confirms She Is Leaving Agency for Another

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
she is disgusting, she can work for hentai animes now Laughing

Oh yes please!

Don't drop Fairy Fail though!
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
I'm curious about the contracts of the male idols and if have the same standards to adhere to. I doubt it.

Actually, it seems they do. In general, Idols, male or female, are not allowed to marry. So of course, even less to have a boyfriend / girlfriend without being married, and even less to just sleep with somebody for fun.

I think it is less about "chastity" and "pureness" (which seems more of an otaku-thing ...) than about "wish-fulfillment" and "obligation" towards your fans.
Idols have kind of an obligation vis-a-vis their fans, more or less like this "I buy your CDs/books/etc., I finance you, and therefore you are not allowed to destroy my dreams and you have to work only for me (= your fans) - be only my "idol" ". Because being in love with one person would be like betraying your fans (because you love that person more than them? and you won't concentrate 100% on your job anymore?).

If an idol wants to marry, she/he usually quits her job. In some boygroups one of the members is allowed to marry, but not all of them.

Imho it is indeed a very weird way of "entertainment", but also keep in mind that there are also other kind of entertainers in Japan as well. Like normal singers, actors, comedians, "talents" ... I don't think they have the same kind of obligation. And while I don't know about this I can imagine that some western boygroups and girlgroups have similar terms in their contracts.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
good for her; if her agency is going to be a sexist cesspool she should leave.

Yeah I'm sure it had nothing to do with her not acting in a professional matter. She was already warn several times by her agency about her behavior before the whole sex scandal with her band mates happened. She has no one to blame but herself for causing this whole mess.

Quote:
It's a job. Jobs have requirements. Odds are Hirano signed a quite lengthy contract stating what moral guidelines she would adhere to. This isn't some anti-feminism thing. She could have all the sex she wants, it just means that she most likely won't be an idol anymore. Amazingly, sometimes in life, even if you have freedom, you can't pick the consequences.

^ This. Male idols have been suspended or even fired/kicked out of the an idol bands for their behavior. When being an idol you have a certain image to keep up with. If you start suddenly saying stuff like your sleeping around with people, how much you hate your agency, talking bad of your fanbase and finally images of you in bed with someone, your just asking to be fired. This goes for both male and female idols. There's no double standard going on here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
This is what happens when you're working for an agency, instead of the agency working for you. Did anybody fire Britney Spears or the like for being "sluts"? Do ya guys even care whether or not they're "sluts"? Do ya guys even mention it? Laughing

Regardless, youth was the main thing Aya Hirano had going for her. Once she lost that, man, she turned into an oba-san real quick! Razz
Jackstick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Regardless, youth was the main thing Aya Hirano had going for her. Once she lost that, man, she turned into an oba-san real quick! Razz

Yeah, 23 is so [expletive] old.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
Maybe this business of having people be "pure" and giving up an essential bit of their humanity (their sexuality) *should* be killed off.

Marketing is all about *creating a market* by portraying products in a certain way in order to create/increase demand. So these agencies are *trying* to increase the number of people who view people as "pure" and are catering to this unrealistic and unhealthy perception/belief.

Kill it. Destroy it. It is a reprehensible view on people. It's unhealthy to obsess over someone to that degree and it's unhealthy to convince yourself that "she is remaining pure for me, she's mine!" Really, it's borderline psychotic.

Rather than encouraging this warped viewpoint, they should be trying to crush it, to stomp it out of existance. If more people acted like Aya Hirano, maybe these unreasonable expectations would fade away and people would start treating these entertainers as human beings instead of twisted bastions of "purity".
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Maybe this business of having people be "pure" and giving up an essential bit of their humanity (their sexuality) *should* be killed off.

Marketing is all about *creating a market* by portraying products in a certain way in order to create/increase demand. So these agencies are *trying* to increase the number of people who view people as "pure" and are catering to this unrealistic and unhealthy perception/belief.

Kill it. Destroy it. It is a reprehensible view on people. It's unhealthy to obsess over someone to that degree and it's unhealthy to convince yourself that "she is remaining pure for me, she's mine!" Really, it's borderline psychotic.

Rather than encouraging this warped viewpoint, they should be trying to crush it, to stomp it out of existance. If more people acted like Aya Hirano, maybe these unreasonable expectations would fade away and people would start treating these entertainers as human beings instead of twisted bastions of "purity".

Amen to that, such a business is creepy, reprehensible, sexist, and disgusting (no wonder Perfect Blue encapsulates it perfectly). For as much as I love Japanese culture and entertainment, this particular sector of it is unacceptable. Hirano, in all honesty, did nothing illegal and in any other part of the world something like this would NOT be thought of as out of the ordinary. She was still doing her job as a voice actress and a singer but not denying herself things she should have a right to do as a human being.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Jackstick wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, 23 is so [expletive] old.

No, she's not that much of a looker, so once she lost that jailbait aura, she lost it...... It's not that 23 is old......... Laughing

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Y'know how that would change Japanese culture and by extension, how that would change anime and manga........ Don't forget how the "purity" angle is pervasively used....... Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
No, she's not that much of a looker, so once she lost that jailbait aura, she lost it...... It's not that 23 is old......... Laughing

She just changed her make up style. Japanese don't age that fast. Unlike American girls who look 25 when they're still 18! Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

She just changed her make up style. Japanese don't age that fast. Unlike American girls who look 25 when they're still 18! Laughing

True, as my friends say, Asian girls tend to age gracefully, while Caucasians, who may reach the highest of beauty peaks, there's a point once reached that they tend to fall off the cliff. Surprised

But back to Aya, she never really had it to begin with - it was just masked by her jailbait aura, so once she lost that...... So it wasn't about falling off the cliff as there wasn't a slope to begin with, just a fog........ Laughing
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

PROOF!

I've been waiting to use that. Thanks, egoist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
It looks like nobody here has heard of Hirano's dogeza (土下座) incident with her "current" (T -4 days) agency. Rolling Eyes If it truly happened then it had much more impact on her relationship with the agency than anything related to sex, and I'd be more likely to trust her words than the agency's.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Hirano, in all honesty, did nothing illegal and in any other part of the world something like this would NOT be thought of as out of the ordinary. She was still doing her job as a voice actress and a singer but not denying herself things she should have a right to do as a human being.

I wonder if you have the same standard for Christian von Boetticher. He was unmarried and none of that then 16-year girl (the age of consent in Germany is 14), her parents, or his rumored "the other" girlfriend had said anything against the relationship, but his political career is over. O. V. E. R.

It is universal all over the world that general population demand public figures to have higher moral standards. Those "standards" vary greatly from place to place and from time to time, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
So what was that dogeza incident?
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
She tried to break out of the contract with her agency and began negotiating with other ones while still signed to the former.

When word leaked to them, she apologized by literally kowtowing (which is highly unusual these days except in the most serious circumstances).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3