• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shonen or Shôjo?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belligerent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I like a fusion of the two. Cool

I'm a woman, so the guys have to look good and have some kind of tone. I'm not a big fan of the way most shoujo dudes don't have any muscle definition anywhere. Or when they look so girly I can't really tell they're guys. I want to see some damn manliness.

I'll get called a fangirl for it, but I really like the way Kazuya Minekura draws lately. Her dudes are skinny, but they still have some muscles, and you can tell they're dudes, even if they are sort of metro at times. My favorite thing ever about her character designs is the ragged hairline on the back of Hakkai's neck (and his little sideburns). That's probably vaguely weird, but it's the truth.

I also tend to like stuff with more dynamic inking and heavier use of black space, so that's a point for shounen, I guess.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
zeno99 wrote:

Don't forget Frank Cho

I could NEVER forget Frank Cho. Can't wait for the next issue of Mighty Avengers to ship....it looks great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
This is a hard decision. I'll go with either one though I do like Shonen anime/manga.

I mostly like the shonen-style art because it's pretty much my kind of style. In fact, I've been attempting to make a short booklet/manga with shonen art-stylewhen I was a kid called Komashi: Samurai Destiny (parody title of Onimusha 2: Samurai Destiny).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
belligerent wrote:

I'll get called a fangirl for it, but I really like the way Kazuya Minekura draws lately. Her dudes are skinny, but they still have some muscles, and you can tell they're dudes, even if they are sort of metro at times. My favorite thing ever about her character designs is the ragged hairline on the back of Hakkai's neck (and his little sideburns). That's probably vaguely weird, but it's the truth.

Reminds me of the massive spiky hair some male characters in both genres have. It's like a massive afro only with spiky hair that magically grows upwards. I can't believe how mobile their hair is because if it were in real like it wouldn't even move with all of the product.
belligerent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Hakkai's hair is actually fairly "normal" for a manga character's. I'm talking about this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/defiantdrifter/hakkaisneck.jpg

My favorite hair in anime/manga is Hayashida's from Cromartie High School. It has personality. I guess shounen is more likely to have notable hair.
kyokazahaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
shojo art all the way!
not only do you get to see yu watses art but generally the arts jsut cute and happy and not so rough and stuff, but i like it more cause i dont like shonen at all, only an occasional gory action story just for the gore.
ikky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I feel that shounen art styles tend to be more diverse: compare Eyeshield 21 to Death Note to Bleach to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Finding shoujo art that stands out it is rare, from my experience.

One thing that really bothers me about how characters are drawn in shoujo is the lips. So many shoujo artists draw characters with those weird botox-like lower lips. A major pet peeve of mine for some reason.

Overall, I prefer shounen art. For example, I would pick Kentao Yabuki over Bisco Hatori any day just judging by the art.

not that all shoujo art is bad though. I love the drawing styles of Ai Yazawa, Zaou Taishi, Arina Tanemura and Nanae Chrono.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
ikky wrote:

not that all shoujo art is bad though. I love the drawing styles of Ai Yazawa, Zaou Taishi, Arina Tanemura and Nanae Chrono.

Arina Tenemura's art is very pretty. The way she draws the eyes and hair is amazing. It's very flamboyant but I like it.

I guess the difference between the two is Shôjo art is ment to be pretty, while Shonen art is ment to be powerful. Not saying that both must be those, but our culture makes women want to be beautiful while men want to be strong. I think I said that before but I think that's why Shôjo is so aesthical while Shonen art is very dramatic. I guess it's because shonen and other boy films, tv shows, etc. there is always the bad side and the good side and it's so combative. Sailor Moon does have a bad side but there is always a reason why they are bad and most bad guys turn good.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
ikky wrote:
Overall, I feel that shounen art styles tend to be more diverse: compare Eyeshield 21 to Death Note to Bleach to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Finding shoujo art that stands out it is rare, from my experience.

One thing that really bothers me about how characters are drawn in shoujo is the lips. So many shoujo artists draw characters with those weird botox-like lower lips. A major pet peeve of mine for some reason.

Lips tend to put me off shojo manga. But if you think about it, both the art style and the character designs are what would be considered beautiful and femenine in today's society. There is variety in shojo (I would say CLAMP at this point, but they are a virtual powerhouse of manga), but shonen tends to lean towards diverse artwork, while shojo is more about the characters. Just as a rule; what I'm saying isn't true for all manga, of course.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
ikky wrote:

Lips tend to put me off shojo manga. But if you think about it, both the art style and the character designs are what would be considered beautiful and femenine in today's society. There is variety in shojo (I would say CLAMP at this point, but they are a virtual powerhouse of manga), but shonen tends to lean towards diverse artwork, while shojo is more about the characters. Just as a rule; what I'm saying isn't true for all manga, of course.

Obviously all manga genres are the same, but I do agree that shôjo tends to focus more on characters. Shonen manga has excellent battle scenes and action, which appeals to boys. Shôjo, has excellent characters and shôjo backgrounds, (you know the doilly and bubble ones) which appeals to girls. I don't like lips on guys in shôjo manga, but the fluffy artwork is pretty.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
I prefer shoujo styles a bit more, although I find artists I like (and dislike) in both genres. I tend to prefer the shoujo-style thin bishounen with angled jaws, though. ^^; I have a hard time reading shounen in general--there's some I enjoy, but a lot of times I have a hard time understanding what's going on in a battle scene. There's some shounen manga with styles I adore though, like Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I prefer shounen. Art styles like Fruits Basket really bother me. I tend to value substance over style in my anime and manga (unless the art is really excellent, in which case I'll cut the story a good bit of slack) but a really repelling art style is just that, a repellent.

And though I do tend to prefer shounen I can certainly find shoujo styles that I like. I tend to go for shoujo anime over shoujo manga though. Partly because I find it less embarrassing to have Bokura ga Ita on my external hard drive than having Chobits on my shelf and also because its easier to browse. Most places that have manga to rent (my school library does this) only have shounen or some very girly shoujo while I can download an episode of any anime I want to check it out.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I too do not like the art in Fruit's Baskets. It's the chin line and the noses that bother me the most. Also, they're a little too skinny.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
It looks like a very jagged version of One Piece (which is another art style I don't particularly care for). It may also partly be the content and mood. Akagi has a very bold style with lots of dark lines and sharp features but the presentation of it along with the tone of the story makes the art less off putting.
Omega037

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
Shonen manga tends to be easier for me to read in Japanese, so I normally go for that. As for the best art, I would say the really good stuff isn't shonen or shojou, just the standard adult(not hentai) manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4