• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shonen or Shôjo?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad sage 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
personally, i like shonen art better. i think it's because i'm framilliar with the characters, but i've seen some shojo art, and its pretty good. (im a male if tht matters)
sasukes_lover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm a female and I line Shounen better....never been obsessed with a shojo nor has one been on my top anime/manga list....although OHSHC did come close Anime hyperD I just like shounen better, more action etc. But that doesn't mean I haven't watched/read some shojo.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
It's really not easy to generalize like that considering the diversity available in both genres...

Air Gear and Berserk (the latter is *kind of* a shonen) have very detailed art style with that clarity and power that most shoujo don't have -- for the former enough to at least partially redeem the pathetically lackluster story. On the other hand One Piece looks sloppy.

Whereas shoujo manga in general is far, far more creative with its paneling than most shonen. There's also a fair share of ranges (though admittedly I do think shonen is more diverse in this). Nodame Cantabile's sloppy lines looks little like Clamp's more detailed stuff. Admittedly I'm a little bothered by how many shoujo girls and boys look alike.

The stereotype of action vs pretty works most of the time.

The art that really usually strikes me most is the one that is different and harder to define, though. I *love* the art in Sexy Voice and Robo. Those sloppy heavy sketches carry in them an honesty and expressiveness far more powerful than most manga out there contain.
sarajr888

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I tend to lean more to shojo. I like the art and the beauty of the characters. Also, since I'm a female I like the pretty boys and the romance.
NeoPaladinOfLight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Shonen for me...
viajantedemundos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote
I don't care which is better or I like most, since the most important thing is the story and characters.

And I think both shounen or shoujo are good art, with their own ways to show it. Wink
Asano Rain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Purely in terms of artstyle, it's still a tough choice. I read a lot more shoujo manga than shounen manga by far, though.

Shoujo manga have mangaka like Yuki Kaori, Watase Yuu, CLAMP, Tanemura Arina, etc. while shounen manga have mangaka like Oh! Great (technically not a shounen manga mangaka), Masakazu Katsura, Obata Takeshi, Samura Hiroaki (once again, not a shounen manga mangaka), etc.

I mean... do I gotta pick? I really can't! Shounen manga whose artwork I fawn over tend to have a more "realistic" angle to them and I absolutely love. I also adore looking at ornate, fancy costumes, and shoujo manga incorporate stuff like that more often into their manga. So I picked shoujo manga artwork, but it's really a tossup and what I'm in the mood for.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Shojo art for me.

I like the flowing artwork, the delicate lines, the detail of fashion and beauty.

Its doesnt have conventional panels. the art goes everywhere from full page spreads or split screen like panels. A lot of shojo cant be compared to a few shonen in terms of art. Its.....amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4