• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Piece Out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
I wanna keep buying the DVDs but I'm kind of hesitant to. I'm afraid any company that pics It up is gonna cancel it or the series will end up getting dull.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
I wanna keep buying the DVDs but I'm kind of hesitant to. I'm afraid any company that pics It up is gonna cancel it or the series will end up getting dull.

It's less likely to get cancelled if more people such as yourself buy it. And if it gets dull it gets dull you can stop buying it at that point.
ochimusha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
That's definitely a legitimate concern. I guess you have to gauge what you think about the series thus far or what you've seen.

The author already knows eactly where his story is going as it's something he's constructed in reverse. He's gone on record saying that the very first scene in his head was the final scene from which he created the rest of the story.

So if you're worried about where the series is headed you should probably think about how exciting or interesting it's been in your experience since the quality is not likely to suffer or vary too greatly from what it already is.

As for the DVD issue, that's definitely something to worry about but regardless of what happens with the DVDs, manga volumes will still be available.

I realize this enters the manga VS anime discussion which is an entirely different issue (and no-contest as far as I'm concerned) but if you're concerned about losing access, it's a fantastic back-up.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
About 7-9 years ago I read the first few volumes of One Piece grew disinterested, and only started to pay attention once it got into this huge thing online with people claiming that it was the greatest manga ever.

I started reading summaries of the Impel Down chapters, and grew interested with the idea of Luffy basically being the villain of that arc with him putting other people in massive amounts of danger with his actions. Then came the White Beard arc where I actually began thinking about actually collecting One Piece instead of just reading summaries but after that ended I once again remembered why I stopped reading it 7-9 years ago.

I just don't think Oda can come up with credible opponents on a consistent manner. He follows up the white beard arc with a story where the main villain constantly comes off as being out of Luffy's league, because the guy's power was abusing steroids. The main villain is the Fishman version of Scott Steiner just without Steiner's ability to say weird things like "Remember when the Pearl Harbor bombed the Germans?" Just when the series should be winding down Oda has made it clear that his only reached the halfway point.

I would rather Funimation not pull a Viz and have their anime line suffer just so they can please the One Piece fans. I' am a massive fan of Fullmetal Alchemist, and you have to wait 4-6 months for the next volume to come out. Fullmetal Alchemist ended last year and they still have two volumes left simply because they diverted all of their time and effort into translating Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. Between Volume 17 and 18 there was a gap of 7 months.

As for the mouse breastpad, considering the changes in the character design of Robin and Nami I don't think Oda minds.

The difference between One Piece and Dragonball was that Dragonball Z became a huge hit right after it aired on Cartoon Network, One Piece has gotten that chance and has never risen about a solid success. I don't think that one day ten thousand-twenty thousand people are all of a sudden going to decide to buy One Piece.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm looking forward to OP since it sounds really awesome, and I did like watching it every week when it was CN, so I expect to like the unedited version more........

Yes. I've never seen OP, but I listened anyways and they were very good at avoiding spoilers.

So which is it? Did you watch OP on CN, or have you never seen it? Razz

I thought this was a really good ANNCast. Makes me want to start following the OPP guys, but the main thing keeping me from doing so is that I'm only in the mid 400's in the anime, and I've only read the manga up to the point that it's been released here in the US. I really dislike having things spoiled for me, so since I'm not up to date, I just don't think it would be for me. I've already had enough major stuff coming up spoiled for me, so I'll just try to have some damage control and limit the spoiling. Maybe some day if I ever get caught up I'll start following then.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm looking forward to OP since it sounds really awesome, and I did like watching it every week when it was CN, so I expect to like the unedited version more........

Yes. I've never seen OP, but I listened anyways and they were very good at avoiding spoilers.

So which is it? Did you watch OP on CN, or have you never seen it? Razz

I've never seen the "real" OP. Now, I differ on my meaning depending on the show. I've seen Sailor Moon, despite it being the DiC and Cloverway versions. Anyone who tries to shoot me down on that will get a Falcon Punch. However, OP had whole arcs removed and was pretty short lived on TV, so I didn't even see most of it, so it's a different case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ochimusha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just don't think Oda can come up with credible opponents on a consistent manner. He follows up the white beard arc with a story where the main villain constantly comes off as being out of Luffy's league, because the guy's power was abusing steroids.

I beg to differ.

I don't think it's possible to consider anyone 'out of Luffy's league' because as it stands, we have next to no idea what Luffy can do at this point.

Recent events made it such that we have no idea what he (or the others for that matter) are capable of when the chips are down.

We're just on the cusp of finding out now.

I think another OP fan said it best when he suggested that we're essentially back at East Blue where Luffy is a beast and probably won't have much trouble dealing with opponents barring physical/circumstantial obstacles.

Is this exciting? If you're a fan that's into the series words can't describe the excitement. If you haven't been through the entire journey it probably seems cheap.

Quote:
Just when the series should be winding down Oda has made it clear that his only reached the halfway point.

What makes you say that? The length of time it has been running? If so on what basis does that stand? I'm not trying to be confrontational I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Once we learned the geography of the OP world and learned exactly where the story was heading after Enies Lobby, it became very clear that the series would not be ending anytime soon. So while the length might be a shock to summary readers we could've told you that as far back as four and a half years ago.

There are actually a number of reasons that justify the length which are, again, subject to each individual's opinion of the series and the author's goals but regardless there is an 'explanation'.

1. Originally One Piece was a five year story in Oda's head. Its popularity allowed him to explore more ideas which he was happy to do.

2. One Piece will be Oda's one and only long-running serial. As recently as Alabasta he was flirting with the idea of drawing other series but around the 10th year anniversary he declared that One Piece will be his only long-running series and for that reason he will write everything he could possibly desire for a long-term series in this one. One Piece will be his life work and he intends to do it proper.

3. Oda views each 'island' as almost a separate series. Through them he can explore other genre that he would otherwise have enjoyed writing another series about. Through this medium he's able to tell the stories he's had in his mind for years in one shot.

4. Oda is NOT a fan of long-term series. Ideally he'd like a story that would be cheap to purchase and easily fit on a shelf. He will probably carry out such a venture post One Piece with one-shots or short-term stories.

So whether those are valid points are entirely up to your own interpretation but there's no 'dragging out' the story for the sake of it. As I mentioned earlier Oda has had the end of OP in his mind since the start and he's simply been working towards that point. The popularity has allowed him to explore the characters and world in greater detail but rarely is there any superfluous time spent wasting space or reader's time.

One Piece is a MAJOR investment of both time and money but if you read and reread through it, you'll find that it's easily worth double what you pay.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
A few points

1. I am still baffled as to why One Piece didn't catch on more in the US. It has so many elements of all other shounen anime I have watched. I think it's more kid friendly than Bleach or DBZ, so, yeah, baffled.

2. I have watched a few episodes of Fairy Tail. I know it yoinked its sense of character design from One Piece, but otherwise, it's not really like One Piece. It can copy One Piece all it wants, but I think only One Piece's creator could come up with some truly bizarre character designs. Giant amazon snake ladies, anyone?

3. Naruto STILL has this negative perception of it even though the Naruto now is nothing like Naruto as a little kid, and the show is different as well. It's more serious.

4. Speaking of Naruto, I will agree that One Piece has better and more great female characters

5. Maybe what One Piece needs is a good Kai-ification. Dragonball Z, considered to be ancient in terms of animation, has a new generation of kids going crazy for it. One Piece has the benefit of being around to this day, so I think an idea like that could work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
ochimusha wrote:
Quote:
I just don't think Oda can come up with credible opponents on a consistent manner. He follows up the white beard arc with a story where the main villain constantly comes off as being out of Luffy's league, because the guy's power was abusing steroids.

I beg to differ.

I don't think it's possible to consider anyone 'out of Luffy's league' because as it stands, we have next to no idea what Luffy can do at this point.

Recent events made it such that we have no idea what he (or the others for that matter) are capable of when the chips are down.

We're just on the cusp of finding out now.

I think another OP fan said it best when he suggested that we're essentially back at East Blue where Luffy is a beast and probably won't have much trouble dealing with opponents barring physical/circumstantial obstacles.
Quote:
Just when the series should be winding down Oda has made it clear that his only reached the halfway point.

What makes you say that? The length of time it has been running? If so on what basis does that stand? I'm not trying to be confrontational I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

The idea that the story has basically restarted after about 60 volumes isn't a problem? At a time where Oda should be showing how the characters have evolved his simply restarting the series basically ignoring the questions brought up by Impel Down.

It shouldn't take Oda 4 volumes "to show what Luffy" can do.

In my 10+ years of reading manga, my experience tells me that once it's reached volume 30 than you're probably going to start dragging the story, and you're not going to reach new ground on a consistent basis.

I skipped a vast majority of even reading the basic summary of a chapter, and I can understand One Piece perfectly fine. If your manga is written like that then you need to condense your story.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight: If you've read only two volumes and summaries, I don't really think you have any business talking about whether or not One Piece is overstaying its welcome. I have actually read 58 volumes and can easily see it being entertaining and relevant for a long time.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The people deciding if One Piece is overstaying its welcome are the active readers, viewers and the creators. That is all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Charred Knight: If you've read only two volumes and summaries, I don't really think you have any business talking about whether or not One Piece is overstaying its welcome. I have actually read 58 volumes and can easily see it being entertaining and relevant for a long time.

So I can't have any opinion unless I read about 60 volumes worth of manga?
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

You can think the first two volumes suck all you want, but if I were you I would hold my judgement for the later parts. Reading/watching the series is quite different from just glancing through summaries.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

You can have an opinion. I just won't value it.
I respect other's opinions on series they've actually read. Otherwise I just automatically assume someone's a petty fanbrat.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could watch One Piece since shonen series used to be my bag, but I don't really have time for a show where I'm already hundreds of episodes behind. Since I'm in law school, I barely have time to watch a 12 or 24 episode series, let alone hundreds of episodes with no real sign of ending. I wouldn't even mind the length or the slow progress since I was a DBZ nut when that was on Cartoon Network, but unfortunately I just can't swing it. Even summers are more for catching up on shorter series anymore.

firecrouch wrote:
I'd like to know what Zac considers a major success among American anime fans. "One Piece" is nowhere near the level of popularity, or at a comparable level to what it is in Japan and Europe. It hasn't blown up in the States like "DBZ" and "Naruto". However from what I can tell it's currently one of the most popular titles in American fandom right now, certainly more popular than years ago.

I'm a bit curious, too. I mean, yes the manga does very well and the show is certainly popular among anime fans, but at the same time there is the fact that the show was dropped from TV, even after Funimation picked it up and did a much better dub. Dragonball made it all the way through, Kai got on TV, Bleach is still on TV, and Naruto got picked up by Disney X D even after CN dropped it. If you look at it that way, then I can see why someone might say that it doesn't seem like it was a big hit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3