• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Emile Hirsch confirmed as live-action Speed Racer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goins007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Interesting, I just did a search on this guy a couple days ago (was watching Lords of Dogtown you see), he was good in the Emperor's Club.

He was also very good in "The Girl Next Door". But I'm still up in the air about how this movie is going to play out. I'm going to have to see some footage before I make up my mind.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
People did die in the Japanese version. Although they do get away with that kind of thing in G movies...
They'll probably be basing this on the dub anyway, since that's the version people are most familiar with. If this turns out to be a hit, can we have live-action Robotech next?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote
I think Speed Racer could definitely be told as a G-rated movie. Bring it on.

And having car crashes isn't ruled out by that rating, because people don't always (or even usually) die in crashes.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:

And having car crashes isn't ruled out by that rating, because people don't always (or even usually) die in crashes.

I think that if the crashes are going to be like how they are in the show then they'll probably get a PG rating. I just think that MPAA (Whom I hate, but's a different story) we'll probably gives this a PG rating....I mean most everything gets at least a PG rating.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

I just think that MPAA (Whom I hate, but's a different story) we'll probably gives this a PG rating....I mean most everything gets at least a PG rating.

I agree. It's rare to see a G-rated film these days. If this film does end up being rated G though, I probably won't see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
So it looks like John Goodman and Susan Sarandon might be Speed's parents. I don't recall his mom being on the show, though. But I think Pops should be played by Bob Hoskins, especially since John Goodman will make me think The Flinstones movie, even though he's actually a decent actor. (At least in the Cohen Bros. movies...) Oh, and for the record, the article's dated April 2.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So it looks like John Goodman and Susan Sarandon might be Speed's parents. I don't recall his mom being on the show, though. But I think Pops should be played by Bob Hoskins, especially since John Goodman will make me think The Flinstones movie, even though he's actually a decent actor. (At least in the Cohen Bros. movies...) Oh, and for the record, the article's dated April 2.

Susan Sarandon would be a good team mother. She certainly can come across that way. And, at least they aren't casting her as the team grandmother!

John Goodman as Pops. I really don't remember much about the Speed Racer episodes that I saw as a kid but just visualizing Goodman in coveralls and a gimme cap on his head with tools in his hands works for me.
tfcreate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
A few years ago, I had Brian Dennehy pegged as Pops, but they probably want the movie to be a lighter faire, hence the choice of Goodman.
TFC
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2