• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Akina Drift

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I admit it, I'm one of those shallow types that can't get past the Initial D animation and character design. I'm not sure what it is, normally that takes a back seat to story for me but with Initial D it just bothers me.
It is hard to get past. I had a hard time getting past it too. Of course after the first race I pretty much loved the show as much as Bamboo Dong. And I don't even like cars. It's just one of those shows. You either love it or you don't. Much as I love it, it is VERY easy for me to see why so many people don't. On a side note I am pleasantly relieved I am not the only girl who went ga ga over it. None of my other female anime loving friends can stand it.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
I desperately wanted one of the girls to get pregnant, develop a dangerous meth addiction, or knife a bitch.

Bamboo Dong wrote:
A few pages of the owner's manual are dedicated to the Tricked Out version, the Stu-Levy-AKA-DJ-Milky-approved dub that makes Initial D seem like a UPN companion to Laguna Beach. This is the one where Tak, Natalie, and Iggy go bumpin' in their phat ridez, blasting indie rap, and be fly.

The bolded part got me laughing. Anime hyper

I was also a little surprise that To Heart got tossed into the Perishables. Zalis116 pretty much said what I was going to say, but I do admit that this could turn some people off, with its pace and its premise.

& Nerima Daikon Brothers is one series that I'm definitely going to check out in the future. I love my comedy, especially the random ones.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen To Heart, but that review was hilarious. If you want some conflict, maybe you'll like Shuffle! whenever it comes out.

@undeadben: Cute puppy. You are a braver man than I to let your puppy have his way with your DVDs. He's pretty small, how old is he?
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I haven't seen To Heart, but that review was hilarious. If you want some conflict, maybe you'll like Shuffle! whenever it comes out.

I would say if you like conflict AND super complicated storylines, go with that. I got SO freaking lost in that anime, I really didn't know WHAT it was supposed to be anymore.

The way I look at it, these "Based on Visual Novel" games need to have pretty much strictly two aspects to it, basically going with Mystery, Drama, Romance or Action in it. Shuffle! kinda had all of that and therefore, I lost my appeal for it.

Nonetheless, can anyone confirm if the To Heart 2 anime sucked as hard as the first series? I've read random statements saying 2 was a good improvement. =/
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Maybe To Heart will get a little better once Multi gets introduced. Heck, isn't she the one lots of peeps tend to associate To Heart with? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Maybe To Heart will get a little better once Multi gets introduced. Heck, isn't she the one lots of peeps tend to associate To Heart with? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I dunno, whenever I think of To Heart, I always say, "Hey, isn't that the one with Kamigishi Akari in it?"
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Life wrote:
Now, if anyone can take a picture of real pets lounging all over their collections (the bigger the pet, the better, really), I will give them mad e-props for the rest of the year.

Hmmm... are mad e-props worth dumping 600 DVDs onto the floor and letting my mastiff/lab mix walk all over 'em for a photo op?

Maybe I should just find another giant Pokemon plush for him to eat... he made quick work of that 3-foot charmander...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
'Kurau' is definitely "shelf worthy". I'm curious to see how it does here what genre will they put it in. To me I think it could a "sleeper" hit among fans. Smile It's finally being released. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
zcat68

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
If we can find a totally irrelivent song, that gif might become the new Leek Spin, Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
@undeadben: Had a few things that pissed me off earlier today. The pictures of your puppy more than made up for it all. Thanks for posting 'em. Very Happy

Ah, Bamboo, how I envy you. Getting the first volume of Kurau: Phantom Memory practically a month before its street date? That's utterly fantastic.

And yeah, Kurau is well worth it. As I've said before, were it not for Mushishi being released by FUNimation, I'd say that it is going to be the greatest anime series put out in North America this year. Yes, that includes the fandom favorites such as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Death Note (assuming the latter gets released in 2007). Suck it, fanatics.

I also like that ADV is doing the same scheme again with Kurau that they've done with Air Gear, Le Chevalier D'Eon, etc. Very, very nice. I'll have to check out the free episode since I'm wary of Matt Greenfield being the one being the English dub, since I've never liked a single one he's hand a major hand in.

Zalis116 wrote:
Of all the similarities to other series, [Kurau: Phantom Memory] sounds closest to Figure 17, as both seem to have that "preteen girl gets mixed up with aliens, acquires special powers, and is drawn into some conflict" plot.

Oh, it's far from it, though. Sure, one could easily draw that connection, but I'd sooner suggest that Kurau is like watching an anime varient of one of those superior super hero comics, if you're just going by the premise. Figure 17 is a slice-of-life series down to its very core.
elhaym45622

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Myself, I always thought Kurau reminded me of Noein and Fantastic Children. Something about the ambient, sci-fi storylines just went together. Maybe it had something to do with watching them both in rapid succession...

Anyways, I guess I'm in agreement with the To Heart review. It was alright; nothing too fantastic, by any stretch, so I think that a Perishable rating is about right, regardless of nostalgia value. Also, I agree with Hitokiri: Shuffle! is an excellent example of a romance anime with enough conflict to keep itself interesting, but without the somewhat over-the-top angst and/or endless cliche that one might find in Rumbling Hearts or To Heart. I'm not much of a romance anime person, and it took me over two months to get past the second episode of Hearts (although it improved greatly after spoiler[what's-her-name gets hit by the car],) but I consumed Shuffle with gusto.

As for Initial D, haven't seen it, although I read some of the manga. Enjoyed that, although I don't recall spoiler[a prostitute being a lead role, as Gatsu said.][/spoiler]

As for the dogs, sorry, my Jack Russel's are anime-free. For some reason, they shun addiction...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After 22 years, I have finally had melon bread. Moving to Orange County has finally shown its fruits. Life is now a little more complete.

After all this time eh? Laughing How in the world could you have missed out before?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
elhaym45622 wrote:
but without the somewhat over-the-top angst and/or endless cliche that one might find in Rumbling Hearts or To Heart.

Wait wait wait, since when was To Heart even remotely close to being angsty? It's like the direct opposite, pretty much a "feel good" anime where nothing much really happens plotwise at all. I also wouldn't call it "cliche"; in fact it was probably a pioneer of an entire subgenre, and even then, it's refreshingly slow atmosphere in a school life setting isn't something that often done either.

I would also argue against Rumbling Hearts having "over-the-top angst", but that's merely a matter of opinion.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Notice he said "and/or". I think he was referring to Rumbling Hearts with the angst and to To Heart with the cliche. Though its not like Shuffle doesn't have its share of angst.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Notice he said "and/or". I think he was referring to Rumbling Hearts with the angst and to To Heart with the cliche. Though its not like Shuffle doesn't have its share of angst.

But you can't really call To Heart cliche either. If it came first then there's really no basis of comparison to call something cliche.

I'm aware of the "and/or" operator there, but it still seemed awfully like he was referring to both series as being both of the things he listed with his wording choice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4