• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My One User war on Naruto Scanlations

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Alright, there's a site called Triond, where users can upload articles and get paid through traffic revenue. People use that site to upload links to popular scanlation sites, specifically, the Naruto chapters.

Many of these so called "articles" are just spammy links to the scanlation sites. I normally wouldn't really care, but these articles are generating revenue for people so they're making money off the traffic, and I've been searching out the articles and flagging them for spam. It might not be much, but I'm stopping people from making money off scanlations of Naruto. will attack more properties once I get all the Naruto spammers.

I saw a guy who said he didn't even like Naruto upload the spammy article.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
...you are aware that most scanlation sites themselves are making money off of hosting Naruto (and all of the other manga, of course)? Joe Schmoe on Triond is making pennies compared to what the big scanlation sites are raking in. Not that I'm knocking what you're doing--- kudos to you for taking a stand.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it is hard to get the actual scanlation site down, but Triond has been removing the scanlation related articles I've flagged as spam so I am making a dent in it.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see theres other fans out there fighting against illegal distribution of anime & magna. I myself am avidly against fansubs & scanlations, and always buy my media legally.

But im a goody two-shows...so yeah, lol.
Genet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
I wish more people made an effort to stand against aggregator sites. That would seriously help a lot of the problems associated with scanlations. I think if they were driven back on IRC, there would be way fewer issues than there are now.

It really does make me sad when I realize that I may never get to finish some of my favorite series here because so many people flat-out refuse to buy them, and would prefer to read them on some aggregator site.

Sadness.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
An admirable quest. Well done. I personally can't stand online viewers as you have to scroll all over the place to read just 1 page. I'd much rather have a book in my hands. Like Genet said, I think it's sad the a lot of people would rather read their "favourite" manga online, rather than own it. Yes, I'll admit I do read scans, but mostly only of unlicensed stuff, as there's so much out there and it's just as good as the licensed stuff. (I am caught up with Bakuman online, but I have all the volumes Viz have released to date) and I have nearly 700 printed volumes to my name in total.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:37 am Reply with quote
I hate reading scans online and I am glad that at least something, no matter how small, is being done. I just wish that more can be done. I can understand that young people can not afford to buy 50+ volumes of naruto though. I sure as hell wouldn't as a kid and can just about feed my manga addiction with my reasonable salary at the moment.

The most annoying part of people reading Naruto scanlations is that I keep coming across spoilers on forums. I am patiently waiting for each hardcopy release and so much seems to have happened between vol 51 and where the scanlations are up to!!
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
ReaKon wrote:
I hate reading scans online and I am glad that at least something, no matter how small, is being done. I just wish that more can be done. I can understand that young people can not afford to buy 50+ volumes of naruto though. I sure as hell wouldn't as a kid and can just about feed my manga addiction with my reasonable salary at the moment.

The most annoying part of people reading Naruto scanlations is that I keep coming across spoilers on forums. I am patiently waiting for each hardcopy release and so much seems to have happened between vol 51 and where the scanlations are up to!!

I know most kids can't afford 50+ manga, but Naruto is an incredibly popular series and my library system has it, and I live in a small town. That's how I'm reading it and I'm enjoying it. I'm not a diehard, but it is a fun read, and I'm doing it legally, and I'll be caught up to the most recent stuff in no time at all. I also reminded my library to get the more recent volumes of Bleach, I volunteer there, so I know when they start to order new books for the library, so it's not like you can't read manga free ever.

And these people who just read scanlations and don't buy would probably be embarrassed to admit they actually read Naruto.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
I report all those iphone scanlation apps here. I really do not know how so many of them are in the app store considering all of them are 100% illegal yet some how apple allows them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm a bit confused; why are some people afraid to admit something like reading Naruto? I guess that I have a bit of a different view, as I'd rather frequent a site like this where I needn't worry too much which series I read. By the way I should probably add that I second the library idea, and read countless volumes from the local libraries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1