• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 10th Anniversary of Pokemon in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Pokemon already hit 10 years?! Man, I remembered that I was in that craze, "catching 'em all" xD If I had the chance, I would fly to Japan and join in the craze. Pokemon is a special phase for me and I am proud that I used to be a Poke-lover! I watched the anime from the first episode all the way to then end of Johto leagues. ^^ Can't wait for the Pokemon game; going to playing that for days. Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor Maddie Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The irony..

My little brother is just getting into the Pokemon phase... Pokemon is twice as old as he is...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, ten years. I remember watching the Porygon episode too. An hour after that episode broadcasted they were showing reports on the news of the kids that were going to the hospitals. But anyway, the show has a following that will probably never let it die, since it's target audience starts at preschool to up.
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Ahh pokemon, sweet wonderful memories of child hood bliss. I remember about nine years ago, I would sit in front of the T.V. early in the morning to watch Pokemon and sailor moon before I left for school. I still play the pokemon gameboy games occasionally.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I too would buy uncut Pokemon dvds- in fact I was just telling a fried the other day about buying the Endligh first season because I loved it. I've always wanted to see the show in Japanese though.

I stopped watching Pokemon when they changed the voices...but didn't they have the 10th anniversary before here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I've been a member here for a while now, yet I don't believe I've ever posted in one of these threads.

Pokemon would definately have to be one of my all time favourite anime ever.
I know that it's nothing special compared to other titles like Fullmetal Alchemist or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or Miyazaki films, but... It just has that certain appeal to it that makes it timeless.

I've watched the dub for years now having seen almost every episode, it's definately 4Kids' best work. (Except maybe TMNT, but I still like Pokemon more. Also, 4Kids majorly screwed up on Mewtwo Strikes Back and Pokemon Chronicles.)

I've seen bits and pieces of the Japanese version (mostly Advanced Generation, although I have seen parts of both the original and Diamond & Pearl as well) and absolutely adore it. It's a shame that there's no bilingual release. (Other than a few Japanese trailers on the movie 4 DVD and the Pichu special on Pokemon Channel. Also, I believe the dub is on the Japanese DVDs of movies 1-3?)

The entire voice cast is great (Both Japanese and English. [Yes, that means both English casts. The new guys started off a bit shakey in season 9, but they have really improved in the past year.]) and I'm looking forward to picking up the season 3 and 4 boxsets in June. (That's an Australian release in case you didn't know.)

Here's hoping that the season 10 dub keeps more of the Japanese BGM? Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
I remember when the games and the show first came to America, and I was already too old to be into it (14-15), but I loved the games, and figured I'd watch the show anyway, but then began watching it religiously, because it was one of the few anime I got on TV, and I already knew about the games, so I had a head's up.

I used to go to Universal Pokemon Network to watch clips of the first movie in Japanese, and wrote terrible Pokemon fanfiction (which is redundant - what else can there be but terrible Pokemon fanfiction?), listen to the 2BA Master soundtrack, collect the cards (though I rarely played the card game), and search the net for Japanese OPs and EDs. I remember the Missingo Cheat, the "Pikablu" phase, Mondo the TR member with a Ditto, Pokemon icons, AshxMisty shipping, etc. And keep in mind, I was in around my mid teens, way too old for this stuff. I was immature, to say the least.

I think Mewtwo Strikes Back is the last animated movie I saw in a regular movie theater.

Of course, I lost interest in the Pokemon anime sometime after the second movie, but I still play the games once in a while, and even buy the new Game Boy ones.

It's been ten years! Wow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Japan has pocket monster dvds, however, they are rental only. They started with ag and have the 10 perfect kanto and orange best. But the whole series is not on dvd nor is the advanced generation series available to buy. This may be in part to poor vhs sales early on in the series. To top it off, most of the isos are not available on share from the rentals. :/ I do, however, have access to all the raws, mostly vhs rips, seasons 1 and 2 kids station rips :p
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
I remember the first time I heard of Pokemon. I was on the bus heading to school in the morning, when the radio station that was on read some quick news. Apparently a show in Japan called "Pocket Monsters" had caused epileptic seizures in a whole bunch of children with flashing on the screen.

This was two full years before I actually started to become an anime fan, and learned about Pokemon and other shows. At the time I heard the report I knew nothing about anime, but I filed the name away in the back of my head. It was another couple years before I suddenly made the connection between Pokemon and Pocket Monsters, the show I'd heard about that day in 1997.

I didn't realize until now that the epilepsy thing happened so soon into the life of the show. I always thought Pokemon was around for some years before it came here, but I guess it got here only a couple years after starting in Japan, huh? I am actually surprised it's only been 10 years!
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I stopped watching Pokemon when they changed the voices...but didn't they have the 10th anniversary before here?

Yeah I thought it already did too, but I guess that was just for the game.

I would really love to buy Japanese DVDs. I want to see more of the older episodes in its origional language.
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha...I remember obsessing over Pokemon in elementary school. It's amazing that it's been so long, but on the other hand, Pokemon feels like it's been around forever. I can't even count how many dishes I did to save up $40 so my parents would let me get a GameBoy Color - it doesn't seem like much money to me now, but when I was eight years old, 40 bucks could buy a lot of toys...
My parents still say that it was the best toy they ever bought me, since I probably wasted couple hundred hours of my life playing Pokemon. Funny how my friends and I used to make fun of the Pokemon obsessors (like one boy who would constantly sing the anime's theme non-stop during art class), until my crush got into the fad...which made me curious. Thus began a 4-year-long obsession. My non-pokemon-obsessed friends often had to drag me and my huge binder of Pokemon cards away from the group of kids that gathered in a spot every recess to play with Pokemon video games, action figures, cards, etc....I may not be into the anime anymore (although I did tune in when I heard there was a new cast of voice actors - lord knows why, when the first ones were perfectly good, even great, in some cases), but I bet I'd still enjoy collecting the cards and toys if I had friends who did - That was half the fun of Pokemon; having so many others who shared your enthusiasm, and who you could trade and barter with.

I've never heard the Japanese seiyuus for Pokemon, but now I'm interested...I may go on Youtube later and see what I can scavenge.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Ahh pokemon, sweet wonderful memories of child hood bliss. I remember about nine years ago, I would sit in front of the T.V. early in the morning to watch Pokemon and sailor moon before I left for school. I still play the pokemon gameboy games occasionally.

Ah, I can totally relate. I remember waking up early every weekday just so that I could watch Pokemon at 7 AM. God, I can't even remember how much money I spent on Pokemon cards. I remember the huge anticipation for the first Pokemon movie to be released in theaters. I can't even describe how much Pokemon ruled my 6 year-old life.

I also still play the Pokemon games when I get the chance. Last year, when my friends and I were too lazy to study for finals, we found my Gameboy laying around and just played Pokemon Red Version for hours... Those sure were the good ol' days.

Damn! All this talk actually makes me want to find my Gameboy and start playing again. Laughing
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, nostalgia fest <3

Although getting uncut/ less cut Pokemon anime would be difficult, there may be a very roundabout way to it. Viz is releasing a couple of the Pokemon Special / Pokemon Adventures manga as a test run, with the intent that if they sell well, they will bring in more Pokemon manga. While the manga they are releasing are, frankly, not that great (they're still flipped and somewhat annoyingly translated, like any other 90s Viz work), if Viz could be convinced to release more manga with better translation, then PUSA MIGHT be compelled to do similar. It kind of worked with Shonen Jump USA's work getting Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! an uncut release.

The problems are this is very roundabout and the SK and YGO uncuts sold very poorly. If fans can seriously create the market needed for uncut Pokemon, though, as a VERY substantial market, then it'd happen. But the effort would be enormous.
Celes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
My roommate and I (we're both 21) recently found a copy of 2 B a Master and we blast it in his car when we drive around...We drove by a bookstore the other day and some girl outside our car shouted "GO POKEMON!", hee hee.

I have nothing but fond memories for this show, even though I stopped watching after the Orange League. I've been considering picking up the DVDs from the library to get reaquainted.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Although getting uncut/ less cut Pokemon anime would be difficult, there may be a very roundabout way to it.

Well, technically... The recent season 9 dubbed by Pokemon USA is uncut in that there's no cuts or paint edits (They didn't even use paint edits on Engrish like "Grande Festibal"). The only edits in season 9 were BGM edits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3