• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Xros Wars Anime to Get 2nd Year This October

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Adventure kept the location in Japan.

I can't remember much beyond the few episodes released on disc, but I do remember they all came from "Highton View Terrace", which doesn't sound terribly Japanese.
Tamers was most definitely set in Shinjuku though.

Quote:
The only names that stayed the same were Mimi and Sora, and arguably Jou. Koushirou, Taichi, Takeru, Yamato, and Hikari were all changed.. even some of their last names for whatever reason. Digimon names were all over the place.

While it was never mentioned beyond the intro, they did mostly keep their names; the English names used in the series were nicknames:
http://digimon.thenexxus.org/stuff/dub/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Talking about "international versions", there are some that change almost everything, other that just change names, But if there is a change of names, that'll be used all around the world.
For example, the Spanish version of Digimon used the "westernized" names, even if the animation came directly from Japan -well, action took place in Odaiba, if that helps-.

As for DXW overseas, dunno, I didn't see a big hit with Savers/Squad and the "digimon bearing arms" probably repel broadcaster's boards. Besides, those things take a loong time.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:
I am surprised to learn there is a sequel since i feel like the anime is really rushed as if they want to end the anime as soon as they can, if i compare to others digimon (though it doesn't displease me).But I think this is a good news, Taiki is a great main character and if my memories are correct he is the only main one to be clever Anime smile.

I wouldn't call it exactly a sequel like how Zero Two was for Zero One. They did the same with the Xros Wars from last year and the one that "premiered" this past spring. If anything, longest Digimon series much. First time they will ever break past the original Digimon run of 54 episodes.

To be honest though, the premise isn't all that bad if you get past the first season of 30 episodes...though the protagonist is still annoying as ever.

Why do you think the protagonist is annoying ? I thinks he is not that bad and less stupid than the others.Well this is only my personal opinion.
edit : I just saw an image of the announcement, and I don't see Nene and Kiriha anywhere, they won't be here anymore ?
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
This is great news, I am really enjoying Xros Wars alot, don't care if it ever gets dubbed or not anymore.

(I still enjoyed the dubs for Seasons 1-4 though)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I rather have the show air here then nothing at all. It gives more people a chance to watch and if ratings are good, perhaps let Toei experiment or continue to air their shows here.

It's highly unlikely any American dub would matter to Toei. The overseas market isn't much of a concern for Japanese anime companies, outside direct commissions for more (Big O II) And given the way anime is treated on US television these days, that seems unlikely to happen.

Quote:
No one is forcing you to watch a English version, so let things be. I would like there to be more kids anime over here to bring in more anime audiences. They can always decide if they want to look up information about the shows they view.

They technically are; if that's all that's available in a certain market, then they have no choice but to watch the heavily altered version. It can also give people the wrong impression of shows and turn them off to anime in general with the ridiculous changes and edits. Frankly, with legal streams now the main thing, it would be best just to do that, like how a few sites had Digimon Adventure 02 streaming legally. Anime on television is a bit of an old pipe-dream these days; it just doesn't belong on television anymore because of the huge censorship and broadcasting clamp down of the past five years.

Seiya0890 wrote:
I just saw an image of the announcement, and I don't see Nene and Kiriha anywhere, they won't be here anymore ?

More than likely gone, like Akari before her.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Haterater wrote:
I rather have the show air here then nothing at all. It gives more people a chance to watch and if ratings are good, perhaps let Toei experiment or continue to air their shows here.

It's highly unlikely any American dub would matter to Toei. The overseas market isn't much of a concern for Japanese anime companies, outside direct commissions for more (Big O II) And given the way anime is treated on US television these days, that seems unlikely to happen.

You're saying that with a '90s mentality. Japan has been all about spreading the word about anime and getting it into as many countries as possible lately. Even the Japanese government has been plunging money into programs designed to help fund over seas expansion of the industry. Toei has been taking an increased interest in the western market as of late, especially when it comes to making certain titles more visible. If what I wrote in my page 1 post is true then they're the driving force behind getting Xros Wars into the US this time around rather than Bandai.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AgumonKid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Cool. Now Toei USA just needs to hurry up and get this thing dubbed. I don't think anyone else'll go after it unless Saban decides to buy back the rights...

EDOT: Now that I think about it...this would make Xros Wars the longest Digimon series wouldn't it? Interesting.

TOEI US is fvcking with us. They are having a low profile company dub DXW and it seems like there already [expletive] up before anybody has actually released the show. A bigger problem is that it will likely end up airing on Disney again. I want to shoot myself.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
@ Emerje

Not to mention that once again, these shows are aimed at kids. They rather have it shown on TV to expose more of the shows and if its possible, have the kids buy the merchandise. Rather then go on a niche, they would rather try going for a bigger slice of the pie.

Look at shows like Pokemon. Still doing the right things even though translations and such aren't exactly like the Japanese version. That's an example of getting it right.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
I found Digimon, with it's expansive cast, to be pretty competently voiced and acted, for the most part(ignore the Devimon arc in Adventure; they got better). I feel Jessica on the scripting, though.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Look at shows like Pokemon. Still doing the right things even though translations and such aren't exactly like the Japanese version. That's an example of getting it right.

If you care solely about profit and not integrity, then I guess maybe Confused but I somehow doubt putting more effort into the dub would make it less-popular and alienate little kids. The original, despite it also being a show to advertise games or whatever, has way more effort put into it. I just hate how the (marketing) dubs here seem to be some soulless, streamline assembly to chug it out with as little effort as possible because they know kids will watch it anyway just because it's Pocket Monsters. I caught a dubbed episode of Best Wishes once, and I swear the VAs were half the same people and the other half were half-asleep.. which is a real shame for characters like Dent and Bel who are fan-favorites because of their stellar Japanese voice acting (Mamoru Miyano and Shizuka Itou respectively)

Kgw mentions the Spanish version of Digimon having the original music (and maybe other things as well), and while I haven't seen it to judge the voices or content, that sounds like a better production already.

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I found Digimon, with it's expansive cast, to be pretty competently voiced and acted, for the most part(ignore the Devimon arc in Adventure; they got better). I feel Jessica on the scripting, though.

While I don't mind the voices themselves too much (I actually like some of them pretty well, like Jou and Koushiro) I disagree about the acting, I thought they were terrible during the dramatic scenes: the girls especially. Anytime the show actually did get dramatic in the dub, it sounded really forced and poorly acted.. or worse, hammy and unintentionally funny (Garudamon's first appearance sticks out in my mind Confused ) Then you have Tamers with that Al Capone-esque voiced Impmon/Beelzebumon which ruined every scene he was in
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
But my point was that I rather the shows be shown here than nothing at all. Might have to take a hit with music licenses and FFC regulations, but at least its being shown to more people. Why anyone wants things to not be released outside Japan confuses me.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
But my point was that I rather the shows be shown here than nothing at all. Might have to take a hit with music licenses and FFC regulations, but at least its being shown to more people. Why anyone wants things to not be released outside Japan confuses me.

Why you would want a hackjob dub confuses me Razz There's a difference between 'Edited for TV' like DBZ Kai and a 4Kids-style hackjob dub. All it does is ruin the chances for a possible good dub someday.

Also 'outside Japan' and 'America' are two different things Mexico apparently didn't have that problem. There's a different between edited for TV and being a hackjob dub.

Xros Wars seems to do just fine not being here. and it's not like half the shows I like ever end up coming out here anyway so it's no big deal to me. I don't see how anyone benefits from 4Kids-style dubs.. the only people who would watch it are 8 year olds, and I don't really talk about anime with 8 year olds.. all it does is do something like One Piece and ruin the chances of a proper release
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
So you would deny a children's show to children? I don't understand that. Hate to say it, but I rather have the show come over here then nothing at all. From light DBZ Kai to extreme 4Kids. Kids can decide when they get older if they want to learn more about the shows they watch or not. I'm sure some do when it comes to Pokemon or Samurai Pizza Cats. Not to mention many parents or those watching might not care at all if its edited or not.

I find it kind of selfish in a way. Its not like someone is forcing you to watch those versions. Let those enjoy it if they want.

I will just fell bad for those who would like an uncut version. Unfortunate, but at least there are other options to look into, such as looking up comparison episode websites or the other means of watching a show, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2