• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Read Or Don't

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:
(I honestly don't think the .hack// series is crap, but whatever, we've all got our opinions I guess)

I don't think that either, at least in regards to the anime. I've never read any of the manga and I haven't played any of the games. Despite all that, I love the excellence that is .hack//SIGN. It's one of my favorite series. .hack//roots is quite good also. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. I won't argue with someone who doesn't enjoy a series that I love and vice versa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
.hack is perhaps one of the worst pieces of entertainment in recent time, in all of it's various forms, anime, videogames, and especially the manga. Good job on telling the truth about a popular piece of crap.

Um, popular piece of crap? Worst pieces of entertainment in recent time? Don't even get me started on how Naruto, Fruits Basket, Dragon Ball Z- Hell, I could go on to describe almost EVERY ANIME as a popular piece of crap. And for your information, the .hack series is not ENTIRELY recent. There was about a 3/4 year gap between the ending of Twilight and when the announcement for G.U. was made.

And .hack is a love it or hate it thing, ESPECIALLY if you do not have an open mind. There is depth in the series much like any other anime but when you tag something with popular piece of crap, I really doubt that you've actually seen the story to its full depth. If you can't THINK about the deeper meanings when you play the games, watch the anime series, read the manga or the novels, then you're really NOT going to get it.

And a suggestion, if you don't like .hack, try Gamerz Heaven. Very underrated and sadly, I don't think it got past volume 2 or 3, considering that... ya know, ADV seems to not be doing well in the manga portion of their sales, or at least that's how I feel.

And really, I can't help but feel there is an anti-.hack attitude for some of the editors/journalist/writers at ANN. But that's the last I'm gonna say on it. And in addition, I would really prefer for people to not try and warp my wording so that it seems like I'm being unruly. I've had enough of that from other issues...

I'm wondering now if there's any relation between R.O.D. the TV and the manga series equivalent. If anyone could comment on that, I'd appreciate it.

As for everything else, it's just a 'meh' from me. One of the main problem I've had with the Kingdom Hearts series is it has a bit too much of a childish theme to it. Not that I'm demanding a lot but really, the potential for drama and action isn't really shown. It's definetly a, "The game is better, avoid any alternative adaptation" kind of thing.
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:
(I honestly don't think the .hack// series is crap, but whatever, we've all got our opinions I guess)

I don't think that either, at least in regards to the anime. I've never read any of the manga and I haven't played any of the games. Despite all that, I love the excellence that is .hack//SIGN. It's one of my favorite series. .hack//roots is quite good also. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. I won't argue with someone who doesn't enjoy a series that I love and vice versa.

The only problem I have with Roots is the TERRIBLE american dub (And this is the first one I've ever disliked as the game cast is PERFECT IMHO) and how animation got very poor in quality in the later episodes.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
PhatPhil wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:

The only problem I have with Roots is the TERRIBLE american dub (And this is the first one I've ever disliked as the game cast is PERFECT IMHO) and how animation got very poor in quality in the later episodes.

I'm surprised (and disappointed) to hear that the anime's voice cast is different from the game's.

Wonder why they couldn't get Yuri Lowenthal and co. on this.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
PhatPhil wrote:
And really, I can't help but feel there is an anti-.hack attitude for some of the editors/journalist/writers at ANN.

It's not just ANN. There's a lot of anti-.hack sentiment everywhere. People who go to the effort of reading/watching/playing all of it tend to love it. Those who don't, don't. I understand where they're coming from. The franchise only really makes sense in large pieces. The games can stand alone, but almost nothing else can. Ultimately, the games are the heart of the series. The rest of it just won't make sense without them. Given that fact though, I would think someone on staff could be found to review .hack products that actually played the games. I realize that a volume 1 is expected to make sense on it's own. That's often not the case though. I'm far more annoyed at titles like Kingdom Hearts or even Cardcaptor Sakura that reset the volume numbers mid-series. Let's be honest, I know a lot of people on this forum absolutely love CCS, including myself, but how much sense does Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow Volume 1 actually make without the previous six volumes? Or Magic Knight Rayearth II Volume 1? .hack is a franchise. One part follows another. While not every part is strictly needed, some are. Would you expect a fair review of Bubblegum Crash from someone who never watched Bubblegum Crisis?

Now, given everything I've said, I do have to admit that I am a .hack fan. I've played the games, watched the anime, read the novels and manga. I still have to admit that the LotT manga sucked. Even within the franchise it just wasn't very good. I understand its place as an epilogue to the first part of the franchise as the last days of a golden era. It was still dull. It served a purpose, but it was DULL! If it had been a one or two chapter thing it would have been a good epilogue. As it was, it was all I could do to get through it and I like the rest of the series. How can I expect a non-fan to enjoy it when even the fans consider it the low point of the series?

PhatPhil wrote:
I'm wondering now if there's any relation between R.O.D. the TV and the manga series equivalent. If anyone could comment on that, I'd appreciate it.

Yes. The manga occurs before the OAV does. The OAV occurs before the TV series. You don't have to have read the manga to enjoy either of the two anime. I didn't. Reading the manga after the fact did make a few things a bit clearer though.[/quote]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
PhatPhil wrote:

The Read or Die (not Dream) manga takes place long before any of the other incarnations and shows how Yomiko and Nenene met. I believe the first volume isa manga adaption of the first novel. I think volumes 2-4 are orginal material. The first volume is the only one worth reading.

The Read or Dream manga is about the paper sisters and is a prequel to the anime, but its a bunch of standalone stories (some of them a little on the wierd side) and are mostly a bunch of fluff. They are mildly entertaining but don't really add anything to the R.O.D. universe (unless there is something of significance in the last two volumes).
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or were Carlo's comments this week exceptionally funny? Usually I really enjoy RTO, but this time as the best ever, I feel. Everything hit the spot dead-on (loved the Kingdom Hearts one, brilliant); good job, keep it up!
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
.hack//LotTB manga wasn't great, but it wasn't THAT bad. (better than the anime) Ouka and Balmung were likable, at least.
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
PhatPhil wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:

I'm surprised (and disappointed) to hear that the anime's voice cast is different from the game's.

Wonder why they couldn't get Yuri Lowenthal and co. on this.

It's something about different studios or something, Bandai got a bunch of the voices done all around the country and all the recording for the series was done at... The Ocean Group *cringes*.

Personally, I too am confused why they couldn't match up the voices... The least they could've done was ATTEMPT to match the voices. I mean hell, no offense to Yuri but his voice isn't THAT distinct.

Although I will admit during the cutscene when Haseo lost control of his avatar, his voice acting was top notch. Matched the tone of the japanese actor perfectly. Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3