• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin to Be 2-Part Shin Kyoto Video Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uppa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

I'm glad Furuhashi is still on this, but they should stick him on the new HxH again instead Sad

Seconded. I love Furuhashi to bits--I'm very confident that he'll make this a stellar bit of work...but I can't help but a feel a bit uneasy about his absence on HxH. That said, I wonder what he could have done to make the series feel as affecting as the first one, without simply lifting much of what he'd accomplished before.

It does feel a bit odd to have this Ruroken production--not from a logical perspective; leading onto Jinchuu might well be easier this way--but from a more personal view. I always felt that the Kyoto arc was so finely done in the first anime; I'm reluctant, almost, to see it reproduced.

Could anyone fill me in as to why Studio DEEN took over duties on Rurouni Kenshin after Gallop finished up the Kyoto Arc? I'm completely ignorant of most things to do with production work--so feel free to educate me severely if I'm being callow--but I've always wondered about that.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
FMABleach wrote:
^ I sure hope you're right....Anime cry

It's not that I don't like Misao but still she was barely in the battle with Shishio so how can it be truly in her view?

See, the more I think about it, these movies are a really awesome idea. First of all, if you just animated Jinchu, you would ignore a wider audience in favor of catering to the diehards. Kenshin hasn't been around for about a decade in Japan, and these movies are probably a litmus test to guage reaction to the property. Kyoto arc in particular is the best to use in this situation since it has a central baddie and a colorful cast of characters. The first arc is fine, but lacks the punch the second one has due to a revolving roster of enemies. Doing the Jinchu arc would be tantamount to walking into a movie and telling everyone the ending before the film starts. You've just killed any chance for a revival at all.

And everyone is kind of dumping on the fact that we won't see Kenshin vs. Shishio. Well, wouldn't that then be incentive for a remake? And plus, Misao is around for 90% of Kyoto, only absent during the ironclad raid (but she is part of the defense of Kyoto from being burned to the ground) and the final battle. But she does have the battle of Aoiya, and that has Hiko Seijuro fighting EVA Unit 01. I think that would be totally awesome to see.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Misao was the best thing about the Kyoto arc, while the final battles in Shishio's lair were interminably long. By telling the story from her point of view and cutting the fight scenes back this could be very good - I'll reserve judgement until I see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
There's no reason they have to be slavishly faithful to either original sequence of events. They can throw Misao wherever the heck they want.

I don't think it'd be that hard to streamline the arc into 2 hours or so. I'm more curious to what extent they'll move away from the standard rules of the genre, particularly the need to have some guy standing around narrating everyone's moves in excruciating detail (one of my favorite things about the first OVA series over the manga). If they do away with that, and axe some of the prolonged flashbacks, shrinking the show to this length would be easy as pie.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I was really expectin' the Jinchu arc since Enishi and his gang were in the PSP fighting game. But the script is done by Okada so I'm kinda excited.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
FMABleach wrote:
^ I sure hope you're right....Anime cry

It's not that I don't like Misao but still she was barely in the battle with Shishio so how can it be truly in her view?

See, the more I think about it, these movies are a really awesome idea. First of all, if you just animated Jinchu, you would ignore a wider audience in favor of catering to the diehards. Kenshin hasn't been around for about a decade in Japan, and these movies are probably a litmus test to guage reaction to the property. Kyoto arc in particular is the best to use in this situation since it has a central baddie and a colorful cast of characters. The first arc is fine, but lacks the punch the second one has due to a revolving roster of enemies. Doing the Jinchu arc would be tantamount to walking into a movie and telling everyone the ending before the film starts. You've just killed any chance for a revival at all.

And everyone is kind of dumping on the fact that we won't see Kenshin vs. Shishio. Well, wouldn't that then be incentive for a remake? And plus, Misao is around for 90% of Kyoto, only absent during the ironclad raid (but she is part of the defense of Kyoto from being burned to the ground) and the final battle. But she does have the battle of Aoiya, and that has Hiko Seijuro fighting EVA Unit 01. I think that would be totally awesome to see.

You bring up some good points there. :3

I agree with you. ^^

errinundra wrote:
I thought that Misao was the best thing about the Kyoto arc, while the final battles in Shishio's lair were interminably long. By telling the story from her point of view and cutting the fight scenes back this could be very good - I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

I agree ^^
Araki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not excited. And from Misao's POV? That makes it an even worse idea.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I thought that Misao was the best thing about the Kyoto arc, while the final battles in Shishio's lair were interminably long. By telling the story from her point of view and cutting the fight scenes back this could be very good.

Having had time to stew, I'm inclined to agree. Misao's perspective could afford the OVAs a high degree of awesomeness.

... If done right; the storytelling mess that was UBW comes to mind.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I like Misao and all, but I would much rather prefer the Jinchuu Arc. Besides, by starting with the Kyoto Arc, you're not really introducing anything, it's still "in the middle of the story", so doing this, or making Jinchuu (which I'd prefer) really doesn't matter.
Miyuu~ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Guys! I was heartbroken this isn't Jinchuu as well, BUT then i got to thinking, this is only the beginning. There could still be Jinchuu yet!

Think about it, this could be like a sort of transition into Jinchuu, to create interest for the newer fans, as well as give the old fans a new twist to the best half of the first anime. It's recapping what happened before, but giving us a semi-new story instead of abridging it.

I haven't given up hope, Jinchuu is still coming! It's all just more hype, it has to be, they could not be that out of touch with the fans(crosses fingers), they're just trying to introduce RK to more fans!

Stay positive! If we give up hope, they won't make more if they don't receive a positive reaction!
Haganekun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
And what about this scan of the Newtype magzine that said something about a new "TV ANIME" in production... I really don't get it, maybe these ovas are another project.
http://i.imgur.com/XtGo7.jpg
treatment

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
what the???

BIGGEST FAIL!

why reanimate the kyoto-arc at all? is that what the japanese-fans really wanted?
anemayfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
My take is this is a "water test".

It's been over a decade since the Kyoto Arc and nearly a decade since the RK OAVs. There's a new generation out there that has never heard of Rurouni Kenshin. Just a few months ago I broke out my RK Collector's edition to show my co-worker and his family. He watched the entire thing, even liked the "filler" third arc and proclaimed it "The Best Anime Ever". Up to that point he thought Naruto was best thing since the invention of TV.

No point in re-telling the story from the same perspective. We've already got the view point from characters at the core of the events (Kenshin, Sanosuke, & Saito) and a great adaptation of the Kyoto arc already exists.

With the format of this planned project you can accomplish a few things. (1)You re-introduce RK to the masses. Believe it or not, it's been over a decade. You're no longer in your Teens/Twenties, you're now in your Twenties/Thrities and so on. (2)You get a recap of the Kyoto arc without having the same story told over again. We can potentially see more comedic moments with Karou and Misao and I wouldn't mind seeing more Hiko-shisho in all his glory. (2)It's a good way to gauge fan interest without investing a lot of money. All of us RK fans want more RK, but what about the Naruto and Bleach generation? If they made a few episodes of the Jinchuu arc and it tanked, I would be even more upset that they even bothered starting the project if they weren't going to finish it. Those of us who waited 6 years for the Giant Robo OVA to end know this feeling all too well (It was only 8 episodes long).

Hopefully, this project will generate renewed interest in RK, which in turn will then hopefully lead to the Jinchuu Arc all us fans have been wanting for years to see animated. I for one am happy for ANY new RK because it gives me another excuse to wear my Shinsen gumi cosplay at conventions Wink
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
And this is how the movie will end -

Omotopsych

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quote
This is the most letdown, stupid, dissapointing, sick news i've heard in a while.

Animating the Kyoto arc and not 1st arc and Jinchuu arc... I'd really prefer a complete remake and new audiences shold see the 1st arc before Kyoto arc to know characters better (this arc's sone purpose). But it's ok, Kyoto arc is awesome, it's good to see it again.

Misao's point of view... well... I like Misao and all but... Female viewers can like ruroken of course but this is a men's anime after all. Why to make it more female? This is a little weird and unappropriate choice but i can still live with that.

But 2 MOVIES!! Some may not agree with me but imho old Kyoto arc had almost no unnecessary scene. It's perfectly balanced. And what will it be!? Cutted scenes, especially no dialogue ones? Fast speaking characters? I think one of ruroken's awesome points is its dramatization, it's scene composition. It'll be ruined down to pieces. 2 movies are too short for whole Kyoto arc. Far far far too short. It'll be like Unlimited Blade Works or One Piece's summary movies. It'll be actually good of course, ruroken's core is awesome, so as its old staff and cast. But it'll be nowhere near what it deserves. Whoever decided to shrink whole arc into just 2 movies is sick, and should see a doctor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5