• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Food! Has Anime Influenced Your Eating?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I thought this up during lunch while eating a bento Razz

Has anime influenced the type of food you like to eat or try?
Have you ever sought out a particular food that you saw in an anime just to try it?
How was it? Anime hyper

I really can't say that anime influenced my eating habits. But sometimes I would see some things in anime and say "OOH! I'd like to try and eat that" such as Okonomiyaki. We didn't have a place that sold any where I lived but at a friend's house we all decided to make some! My friend's mom knew how to make them so we spent the day having fun making okonomiyaki and trying to draw pictures with the batter like this guy did on a Japanese drama about a wandering artist.

So how about it? Ever look up recipes and make dishes just because of an anime?

(my boyfriend tried a mille feuille just because it was one of the items in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin Shocked )
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I have actually never sought out a food I saw in a show. I did have that "That seems good" reaction but never looked it up, or even hoped to find it somewhere. If it came to me I would try it but I guess it doesn't really influence my eating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass has made me order Pizza Hut more often than I used to. A while back, I called some of my friends over to marathon the series with me (I had was already caught up, but none of them had seen the series), and I ordered Pizza Hut, 3 boxes of it, and we ate while watching.
pixiebell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I did try Pocky as a result of hearing about it on this forum. Oh, I learned to make rice balls after watching Fruits Basket (though I still can't make them into a nice triangle shape...they end up looking like misshapen tennis balls Razz). I make and eat tuna filled ones every now and again. Smile
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
At frentymon:

Oh wow, that's kind of cool. Did you eat all the pizza before the series ended?

Come to think of it, I don't really like to eat pizza but ever since Code Geass has been on I've ate pizza every other day, from Pizza Hut, Mazzios, and Dominos. I wonder if it effected me subconsciencly?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Tamagoyaki!

I bought a pan and everything. Takes me about half an hour to make one (six eggs), which can then be sliced into pieces.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Well now everytime I eat rice or other Japanese foods I always use chopsticks. Two things I always wanted to try though were the kind of raman with everything in it and not just noddles like top ramen. Also I always wanted to try grilled meat and skewer food. In Japan I got the good kind of ramen school, at the house I was staying at my host mom made grilled steak with potato's and at the house of the guy I hosted last year his mom made terriyaki chicken in skewers. Japanese women sure can cook Smile When ever I do see something that looks good in an anime though I usally want to eat it.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Oh wow, that's kind of cool. Did you eat all the pizza before the series ended?

Yeah. We watched up to Episode 16 and we ordered pizza at around Episode 5, and the pizza was all gone in under an hour...

Also Kanon 2006 made me try Taiyaki. It was pretty good.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
My ramen Intake went up befcause of my intro to Manga, and it wasn't the fault of Naruto.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Tamagoyaki was one of the weirdest Japanese foods I've tried so far. I always ate them salty or with carrots and other vegetables chopped in but an exchange student I know put sugar in it. It was more suitable for dessert but it was pretty good.

The main problem, even within a college campus, is that there are no good Japanese food available. Restaurants are fairly Americanized here and cheaper for-college student places have the same quality as fast food chains. You can't buy the varieties of raw fish to make sushi (and I personally think it's dangerous to eat raw fish in the US during the summer no matter what anyone says). A Japanese woman once made takoyaki for a group of us when we visited her house and that was the best (and probably the only "real") Japanese food I've ever had. Maybe after I've visited Japan I'll simply move there, just for the food (in all seriousness), and I'd end up thanking anime for influencing my taste for food.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I noticed when UI go to the supermarket with my parents I always want those thai soups and ramen. Even though I ate alot oframen noodle before I started watching anime. So now they always by me some new ramen thing when they come from the store. They are so Yummy^^. I heard Ramen isn't that good for you though. But its too good.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I get a hankering for katsudon whenever anything related to "don" is mentioned in or out of anime (only situation that comes to mind immediately would be the Taiko Drum Master claymation show). Unfortunately, the only local restaurant that serves a good rendition of the stuff is at the opposite end of the city and is usually out of my price range.....
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
I heard Ramen isn't that good for you though. But its too good.

Funny how some people inch away from 100-dollar escargo or seafood and would prefer to eat 7-cent ramen, regardless of cost.
Asako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
You can't buy the varieties of raw fish to make sushi (and I personally think it's dangerous to eat raw fish in the US during the summer no matter what anyone says)
You actually shouldn't use any fish raw unless it's sashimi grade. Eating a raw part of a fish will matter greatly on what kind of cut you get.

Which reminds me! I made sushi at home once. It was alright. I made spicy ahi and tobiko because that's super easy. I made sweet egg before but it's such a pain to roll it uniformly. My boyfriend was happy Anime hyper but he's a sushi maniac. I've also worked at a sushi fast food restaurant so maybe it helped that I already knew how to make so many.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ramen and sushi, but not because of manga/anime. I just like to try new things (even though I wasn't sure of trying sushi first since I generally hate seafood)

Ramen was just a lazy lunch I used to make when I was in school/college...Quick, easy, and I only used half of the seasoning package. Tastier and I either added a bit of teriyaki sauce or soy sauce to it to improve the flavor. And try adding it some freshly cooked meat n__n, or cheese. I like it with a little mozzarella... Chewy *_*

I've always been a tea drinker --something very strange when you're from a coffee-producing country. People look at me in shock when I tell them I don't like coffee (except in a milkshake or something, or if I have a craving), but I've always been more partial to tea, especially jasmine green tea.

Last edited by TestamentSaki on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5