• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sakura-Con Announcements

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
anyone know if the previews Geneon showed were dubbed?
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Same here, I'd love to see the trailer for When They Cry- Higurashi if someone can find it on youtube or google video.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that Funi would pick up Jigoku Shoujo. I wonder when they'll grab season 2. I doubt they'll both with the live action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
PhatPhil wrote:
Same here, I'd love to see the trailer for When They Cry- Higurashi if someone can find it on youtube or google video.

If they were trailers, I'd love to see them. But it said "snippets" which could just be a few scenes from the show, not necessarily a trailer.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
anyone know if the previews Geneon showed were dubbed?

My thoughts exactly, I really want to hear Revy's dub since that will probably make or break this dub.

As for the license I can't believe Hell Girl got licensed, I didn't really find anything amazing about that show, but then again people are saying season 2 gets better maybe I'll take a look later on....
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi re-releases eh? Think I'm going to need to rearrange my shelves again....
TriezGamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The Higurashi clip was subbed -- the opening segment of Episode 5 as well as OP sequence. The Black Lagoon segment was dubbed. I can't say anything about it's translation accuracy, having not seen the original. I'm fairly certain I would have enjoyed the dub throughout had I actually been interested in the show, but it's not my kind of show.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
TriezGamer wrote:
The Black Lagoon segment was dubbed. I can't say anything about it's translation accuracy, having not seen the original.

Huh- the premiere screening for eps 1-4 was subbed. I didn't see the trailer tho' (didn't know Funi had a panel), so I can't compare either.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Recalling my profanity thread a few months back, it was said (by opinion) that Black Lagoon was the anime for swearing. So as long as they leave out or do euphemisms for mad dog (spell it backwards), the f*word, and s***, I'm fairly tolerant of the swearing.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
As for the license I can't believe Hell Girl got licensed, I didn't really find anything amazing about that show, but then again people are saying season 2 gets better maybe I'll take a look later on....

Yeah... I watched the first 2 episodes of Jigoku Shoujo after hearing how great it was, and I was utterly unimpressed with it...
Black Lagoon, I never got around to watching, so I may go ahead and pick it up. Everyone I know who watched it really enjoyed it.
And I'm a fan of mecha shows, so I'll definitely be buying Zegapain. That announcement was a surprise for me.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode or two of Zegapain (and Jigoku Shoujo, for that matter) way back when, and I remember being impressed, but I don't remember much else. And before now I'd never heard or read anyone even mention it.

But Jigoku Shoujo I definitely enjoyed. At least the first couple episodes. A good pickup on FUNi's part, it's almost funny to see how much variety they've got in their library now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kakalini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
Woo, Hell Girl! I've seen the first two episodes and have been wishing a company would license it, so I'll definitely be buying it!

Another reason I'm glad is that I wasn't anticipating a license for it - I remember that someone (cannot remember who or where) said that it was unlikely the series would ever be licensed.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, I am really surprised that so many people DONT like Jigoku Shoujo. This is one of my favorite shows. I loved the original season, but the second season is more comedy relief than serious like the first season. I like the Live Action drama series as well - that one is very good.

I am looking forward to the Tenchi re-releases - I only have the older ones on LD. And I wouldnt mind getting the rest of El Hazard as well...
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
Actually these announcements register on my radar as examples of the defect in the oft-posited argument that licensing decisions are based upon fansub buzz instead of what shows the licensor believes they can make work for them.

Even so, I don't know why anyone would have presumed that Jigoku Shoujo would be an unlikely candidate for a license. I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes back when it first started, felt that it would be much more engaging if dubbed in English, and dropped it to wait for that. I'm pleased to see that it is happening.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Wow, I am really surprised that so many people don't like Jigoku Shoujo.

Because it's repetitive and not creative enough. If they're going to victimize someone in each episode and ultimately have them take revenge (sometimes for very petty reasons) sending their afflictor to Hell every time in exchange for their own soul in the after life, at least add some diversity in the scenarios or the way the afflictors are punished.

In the thread in the Anime forum, I stated that this would've been better suited as a 13 episode series instead of 26. While the first 4-5 episodes managed to catch my attention with what I thought was a cool concept at the time, the series suffers from the same old stale "send someone to Hell even if it condemns me" formula and doesn't add anything different until the introduction of Hajime and Tsugumi, which never even develops enough in itself until the last 5-6 episodes.

The only thing that saved this series and made it worth buying were those last episodes where spoiler[ we get to learn about Enma's past and the relation between her and the Shibata bloodline.] Great production qualities aside, I only gave the series a So-so / B- in terms of the plot and characters because of the lacking depth, where it might've been a Very Good and A range had they condensed it to half the current size.

I'd buy it, but only if it had really nice extras/packaging (Limited Editions) or was on sale in the Bargain Bin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2