• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hajime no Ippo DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
I'm glad someone finally decided to review some of Hajime no Ippo. This is my 2nd favorite shounen series and it's unfortunate Geneon had to rename it into something as cheesy and corny as "Fighting Spirit." Not that Hajime no Ippo would make any more sense to the "casual anime fan," but why the heck keep names like Kanazuki no Miko, Shakugan no Shana, or Tenjou Tenge intact and not this one? The name change is the only thing that's kept me from buying the series, as much as I'd love to support them. These don't have reversible covers, do they?

In any case, this title is seriously under the radar and should be seen by any and every shounen fan at least once. A-grade production values by Madhouse and Tsuneo Imahori for the music. The cast of characters are very relateable as well and you'll find yourself laughing, cheering, and just plain out enjoying the overall atmosphere, even if you're not a fan of boxing (like me).

It's a shounen series that manages to capture all the things a shounen series should have, only without any kind of supernatural powers or martial arts this time (well, unless you really consider boxing a "type" of martial arts). If anyone is a fan of Rocky (the first one, not Balboa), then this is the anime for you.

Regardless of the name change, though, I'd like to buy the whole series someday and possibly review the series myself if that's what it'll take to spread the word and get a little more attention for this relatively unknown gem.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
They had to change the name because there's no market for sports anime in the US...

All things considering though... it doesn't sound any less funny than "The Fighting!" or "The First Step."

Anywho, what bothered me about Geneon's release for the TV special was the lack of a Spanish dub... yeah, this only had one because there was a pre-existing one to begin with, but they should've commissioned one for this... seriously.

Also: this show's a lot better than Trigun.

QED.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the review, now we only need somebody to review all 15 volumes of the TV series as well.

- Bilis
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
some I knew had this show and I tried to watch it but just couldn't get into it at all. reminded me of that Rocky game on Super Nintendo.

Speaking of video games- What happened to the Video Game reivews?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Will Kimura vs Mashiba come out to the U.S. anytime soon? That was one of my favorite fights.

I wish they'd licence the manga. It's one of my favorites. I hope Studio Madhouse continues the anime one day. WAR HAWK VS TAKAMURA!!!

The review is cool. I remember in the manga, there was the Hayami vs Kobashi fight. I wish the anime kept it because it was a better set up to how Sanada and Ippo met the first time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Akuinnen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
Definently in my top 5 fav animes. Don't need a review to know its good Very Happy Seen it all, just need to catch up on the manga 70+ volumes...gotta read the last 6 or so.

<_<_> the art style totally grew on me...Then again so did Initial D and the style isn't super pretty. But if anyone can get the series its well worth the watch....Poor Ippo~

*fangirls*....and this series also rewoke my love for blood sport (ie boxing, martial arts and such)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1