• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oricon: #1 Manga Mag for Japanese Girls Is…Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorPiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
matt: From what I hear, with the exception of Sailor Moon, Ribon was never that big.

Sailor Moon was serialized in Nakayoshi.
matt-thorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Matt Thorn again. The article does seem to be current, evalover1987, but a closer look shows that this is a survey of 3000 readers of the magazine (Oricon Style) that conducted it, which means it was probably a mail-in questionnaire included in the magazine. In other words, the survey is by no means representative of the population as a whole, and should be taken with a grain of salt.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Piro: My bad.
matt-thorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Ribbon was the best-selling shoujo manga magazine for years, at one point (around 1991?) boasting a circulation of over three million. Some of it's biggest hits included Tokimeki Tonight (by Ikeno Koi?) and Tenshi Nanka Janai ("I'm No Angel," by Yazawa Ai). No shoujo manga magazine before or since has come close to that record. Nakayoshi was a big seller when Sailor Moon was running, but sales plummeted when that series ended. Since then it's been seriously marginalized. Today the best-selling shoujo manga magazine for younger girls is Ciao.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
To get a sense of scale, the Japanese Magazine Publishers Association pegs Weekly Shonen Jump's audited 2005-2006 circulation at 2,839,792. The audited circulation of Ciao, the highest selling female-oriented comic magazine, comes in at 1,008,500. Nakayoshi's at 418,500, and Ribbon's at 400,000.

As Matt Thorn indicated, the circulations numbers don't correlate with this survey since the circulation numbers represent actual copies printed and eventually distributed, whereas the survey is of readers' personal favorites, regardless of sales.

Last edited by Egan Loo on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
matt-thorn wrote:
Some of it's biggest hits included Tokimeki Tonight (by Ikeno Koi?) and Tenshi Nanka Janai ("I'm No Angel," by Yazawa Ai). (...) Today the best-selling shoujo manga magazine for younger girls is Ciao.

To make things worse, in order to compete with Ciao, Ribon has made a sharp turn of its direction and decreased the age of its target readers (which was the eldest compared with that of Ciao or Nakayoshi) since couple years ago, driving away many of its best manga-ka to other magazines under Shueisha, such as Cookie (Ai Yazawa, Koi Ikeno, Miho Obana, Megumi Mizusawa, Yue Takasuka), Margaret (Mihona Fujii), and Chorus (Wataru Yoshizumi). I remember there was a manga-ka who, according to Wikipedia Japan, was "a victim of such policy change," but now I can't find which one...

By the way, it's Ciao and Ribon, not "Chiao" and "Ribbon," respectively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
luhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Toshirodragon wrote:
So upshot of this article is that Japanese girls like good, solid, plot driven, quirky character stories same as the boys...

yeah, i think it's a definite good thing and it's really refreshing to know that Japanese female manga fans aren't all giggly, skin-deep morons when it comes to their favorite series or in general.

I hope you're not saying that shoujo manga readers are "giggly, skin-deep morons". That's quite insulting and unfair to the vast majority of shoujo fans.

Of course we know that most people read shounen for the intellegent plots and well-developed characters, right? Rolling Eyes
matt-thorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
To make things worse, in order to compete with Ciao, Ribon has made a sharp turn of its direction and decreased the age of its target readers (which was the eldest compared with that of Ciao or Nakayoshi) since couple years ago, driving away many of its best manga-ka to other magazines under Shueisha, such as Cookie (Ai Yazawa, Koi Ikeno, Miho Obana, Megumi Mizusawa, Yue Takasuka), Margaret (Mihona Fujii), and Chorus (Wataru Yoshizumi). I remember there was a manga-ka who, according to Wikipedia Japan, was "a victim of such policy change," but now I can't find which one...

There are plenty such "victims". It's a long-standing tradition to "transition" aging artists to magazines geared at older readers, but since magazine sales began declining in 1995, the major publishers have been in a more-or-less constant state of panic, and "gradual transitions" have been supplanted by sudden, drastic, and not-always-well-thought-out purges. "Ghetto" magazines are created for artists who are too prominent to just cut off, but who are perceived (sometimes wrongly, IMHO) as being no longer marketable. The publishers do little to promote these magazines. Please don't ask me to name any of them, because I have connections with both artists and editors in some magazines that could be seen as fitting into this category, and I don't want to offend anyone. If you ask me, this is a byproduct of the big publishers' inability to deal with the inevitable transition from print magazines to some form of electronic distribution. I attended the big end-of-the-year party of a major publisher last December, and the feeling in that very large room was pretty sober, despite all the wine and beer. Most of the prominent shoujo manga artists who work for that publisher didn't even bother to show up. It was certainly not the vibrant celebration those parties used to be just ten years ago.

(By the way, if you're going to transliterate the title of Shogakukan's pre-teen magazine as "Ciao" rather than "Chao," I don't see why you would transliterate Shueisha's as "Ribon" rather than "Ribbon". Both are loan words; why not spell them the way they are spelled in the languages from which they are borrowed? Not that I think it's a big deal...)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
matt-thorn wrote:
(By the way, if you're going to transliterate the title of Shogakukan's pre-teen magazine as "Ciao" rather than "Chao," I don't see why you would transliterate Shueisha's as "Ribon" rather than "Ribbon". Both are loan words; why not spell them the way they are spelled in the languages from which they are borrowed? Not that I think it's a big deal...)

Well, just because their respective websites and URL say so:
http://www.ciao.shogakukan.co.jp/
http://ribon.shueisha.co.jp/

Plus Wikipedia Japan specifically stated that the English title is Ribon, not Ribbon.

Wikipedia Japan wrote:
英字表記は「RIBON」(「RIBBON」ではない)。

I wonder if Shueisha misspelled it in the earliest days of the magazine and didn't bother to change it afterwards, similar to the Chrno Crusade case.

By the way, Prof. Thorn, you could at least add your website to your profile. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
matt-thorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Well, just because their respective websites and URL say so:
http://www.ciao.shogakukan.co.jp/
http://ribon.shueisha.co.jp/

Plus Wikipedia Japan specifically stated that the English title is Ribon, not Ribbon.

Wikipedia Japan wrote:
英字表記は「RIBON」(「RIBBON」ではない)。

I wonder if Shueisha misspelled it in the earliest days of the magazine and didn't bother to change it afterwards, similar to the Chrno Crusade case.

Well...Learn something new every day. Even after 20 years. (º_º;) Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go through a backlog of umpteen years of writings and remove a few dozen "b"s.

dormcat wrote:
By the way, Prof. Thorn, you could at least add your website to your profile. :wink:

Oops. Hadn't bothered to do anything with my profile. Here it is. Thanks for the link (and please call me Matt). (^^;)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2