• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, August 15-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
ReaKon wrote:
What exactly is it about if you don't mind me asking?

I imagine with sales that high at volume 5, it has a good chance of getting licensed eventually, right?

Yeah, I think it should have a pretty good chance of being licensed at some point.
More than anything its about survival. The title means Advancing Giants and its basically about a lot of humanity got destroyed by the giants and humans built a 50 metre high wall and started living within these walls. The manga starts 100 years after and centers around a character called Eren and his adopted sister Mikasa. A huge titan (what the giants are called) comes an destroys the outer wall and they have inner walls and towns for the richer and stuff. Eren and Mikasa aim to join the scouting legion, where you go outside the walls and a majority of the titans are.
I got quite attached to the characters pretty quick lol. Its got a lot of death when fighting titans and I enjoy the fight scenes. It makes the situation they're in feel more realistic and desperate. I highly recommend. Hope I explained ok, I am trying to get better at explaining things lol.

The titans vary in size, the tallest was like 15 metres high, until the ultra-tall one appeared.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
That explanation is perfect thanks. I will definately be looking out for this title if it become licensed. sounds like my kind of story
Hospodar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
ReaKon wrote:
That explanation is perfect thanks. I will definately be looking out for this title if it become licensed. sounds like my kind of story

I want to add my opinion about Shingeki no Kyojin

Shingeki no Kyojin is a well written, original series with enough action to satisfy the average shounen fan while having a story deep enough to satisfy fans of the most serious seinen manga. A manga about humanity being under constant assault by an emotionless, enigmatic, distant enemy that seems to act at random and without reason was bound to strike a nerve in an age of economic distress, devastating earthquakes, and general uncertainty.

It was initially a grass roots, word of mouth hit - the type of series that you learn about from a friend or browsing 2CH rather than advertisement.
Now it is advertised as the new Berserk and new copies are placed on the same display with other hits like Naruto or One Piece.

A synopsis and reviews can be found here:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/23390/Shingeki_no_Kyojin
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't dislike Fairy Tail, and I do think Hiro Mashima is a more than competent author on his own merits. I also know that it's diverged in style since. But the fact is that it happened. I just find it kind of funny that he gets annoyed when people ask him about the visual simlarities to One Piece in its early parts. It's good that he's taken the criticism to heart and is drawing closer to his own natural style.

If he's doing this well, that's good for Mashima! However, that does raise a bit of a concern that we might see One Piece clones in the future--that is, seeing Oda do well, then seeing Mashima draw and write like Oda and do well (even if he's gaining confidence and trying to stand on his own two feet now), is going to cause a bandwagon effect centered around One Piece.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
1945113 wrote:
ankoku22 wrote:
By "imposter", I believe leafy sea dragon is referring to Fairy Tail's art style, not its story.

Nope nothing alike. check out the recent chapters of each and come back here. I wouldn't be reading Fairy Tail if it looks similar to One Piece's

Hey, I'm not insulting it or anything. It's just that a common observation I've seen from people who do not like Fairy Tail (and also from some of its fans) is that Mashima's style looks somewhat like Oda's. Even some of the reviews on this website say so, although to be fair, the reviews are from volumes that are not as recent as the ones you may be referring to. But when someone makes a joke about Fairy Tail being similiar to One Piece, they are usually referring to the artwork. It has nothing to do with "pirates" or anything like that.

Yea I know ur not insulting it or anything and Im not trying to insult One Piece =) but that art style is really really old compared to what Fairy Tail looks like now, and if anything (im just going to throw this in there) I've read that ( I think) Naruto's mangaka, One Picce's and Fairy Tail's ( not sure about bleach's mangaka ) they were all inspired by Dragon Ball so basically that's what I see they all look like, but people are looking it at Fairy Tail being a One Piece look alike which is a Dragon Ball inspired manga...I hope this doesn't confuse anyone. But feel free to correct me if I said anything wrong. =p

EDIT - Just remembered that Mashima does read One Piece and his artstyle for the beginning of Fairy Tail must've been influenced by it. soo yea x-x...lol uhhhhhh~ yep...BUT IT LOOKS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NOW =o!
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Shingeki no Kyojin comic sales is balling. Even without an anime it sales as good as or even better than Bleach does.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:

I want to add my opinion about Shingeki no Kyojin

Shingeki no Kyojin is a well written, original series with enough action to satisfy the average shounen fan while having a story deep enough to satisfy fans of the most serious seinen manga. A manga about humanity being under constant assault by an emotionless, enigmatic, distant enemy that seems to act at random and without reason was bound to strike a nerve in an age of economic distress, devastating earthquakes, and general uncertainty.

It was initially a grass roots, word of mouth hit - the type of series that you learn about from a friend or browsing 2CH rather than advertisement.
Now it is advertised as the new Berserk and new copies are placed on the same display with other hits like Naruto or One Piece.

A synopsis and reviews can be found here:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/23390/Shingeki_no_Kyojin

Thanks for your opinion as well, I am actually quite excited about this title now, especially after being compared to Berserk (which although I am only just starting, I absolutely love). I just hope that DH or Viz Sig get the license for it now. I would hate for it just to become a digital license...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2