• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

I'm not exactly feeling the love here. Sarcasm maybe but not the looove!

We are actually good friends with the AOD staff. There's a perceived "rivalry" but it doesn't actually exist.
Sun King

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These are baby Snow Leopards, which I saw recently on the awesome "Planet Earth" series on Discovery HD. If you haven't been watching that show, I highly recommend it.

Hell yeah, I love Discovery HD. It's like watching National Geographic. I remember a few weeks ago when they had that segment about the spiders who dig holes in the ground that makes it like quicksand to catch bugs. But I wish I saw the one with the snow leopards, they look so cute Anime catgrin
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

We are actually good friends with the AOD staff. There's a perceived "rivalry" but it doesn't actually exist.

Okay.

SORRY!! I've remove my foot from my mouth...again! Embarassed

BTW - Loved the banner. What anime is it from?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I happen to be one of those (uncommon?) Republican anime fans, though I'm somewhat moderate (I lean left on gay marriage/rights, for example). I generally prefer to not bring politics up in anime forums as it is rarely even remotely relevant. I usually bite my tongue when others bring things up or say something assuming everyone esle agrees with them.

Re: The Rant
Either I missed something, or the ranter somehow completely forgot about Dark Horse.

A lot of people seem to take issue with Viz's handling of sound effects, but I really don't have a problem with it. I'd be equally fine with keeping the orginal SFX and having a translation nearby. But not translating them at all or sticking translations in the back of the book irritates me.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Zac wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Okay.

SORRY!! I've remove my foot from my mouth...again! Embarassed

No no no! Zac was still being sarcastic! Twisted Evil

(Yes, I'm kidding. I do think it's a scream how some people get worked up over things like that, tho.)
Volyund

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
I loved the rant.

Though I was a little surprised that he didn't mention Dark Horse. They have been releasing Berserk in a very timely manner and with good translation and no editing (plastic wrap).
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
I'm also one of the few(?) Republican/conservative(though I'm becoming more moderate) anime fans. I just don't think that political discussions are needed when it comes to anime(unless the show being talked about refers to real world events that are happening now). So mentioning which side of the political spectrum I'm on generally isn't necessary. I can separate politics from entertainment. Smile

I'm also Christian and I read yaoi...try to figure that one out. Smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
WindAlchemistJen wrote:

Well Jesus never said anything about hating anyone so those things don't seem contradictory to me.

If you were hardcore conservative and read Yaoi I could see the hypocrisy, but being Christian and accepting homosexual lifestyles are not mutually exclusive.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Well Jesus never said anything about hating anyone so those things don't seem contradictory to me.

If you were hardcore conservative and read Yaoi I could see the hypocrisy, but being Christian and accepting homosexual lifestyles are not mutually exclusive.

Well there's something I can agree with to an extent (the first sentence). I respect people for who they are, but I'm not going to agree with their lifestyle. Anyways.....

I'm trying to remember that there was somebody else who wrote Answerman in trying to get Zac to help them out with some crazy ass thing, I think it was within only the past few months or so. Zac's the Answerman, not the Dealman or the Workman.
Sun King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
WindAlchemistJen wrote:

I get it. Seriously. Jesus had that spear violently thrust inside of him, and yaoi characters have similar things thrust inside of them, so I can see the connection.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
Wow, good questions this week! It always helps when things seem a bit more thought-out - and a lot of them were this week.

A few things:

Theater Movies: They cost a lot, and usually don't find a large following. Oscar-winning Spirited Away only made about $10 Million over two runs (one where it was on nearly 1,000 screens). Howl made even less, IIRC. That's why they usually are given a small, limited run where they can secure a theater or two for a few days.

On a somewhat related note: keep an eye on arthouse and small theaters that show indy films. A local one once showed a Miyazaki film every week for a month awhile back, but did no advertising. I was lucky enough to catch it at the last minute.

Astroturfing: will come back and bite you in the butt if you aren't careful. If there's anything worse than a fraud hyping up a well-known organization. While this was just the case with a silly intern, so-called "Street Teams" seem to be far more annoying. I don't know if they show up in the world of anime, but the music industry can be overrun with them -- send some kids a few CDs and posters, and they flood the boards with comments about music they "just discovered." Not cool.

Politics and anime: They are best kept apart Razz The only reason I put up with some anime forums is because I don't hear inane and endless "Bush is Hitler!" or "Billary Clinton sux!" crap.

On that note, I have no idea why I'd expect anime fans to lean more one way than another politically. I admit to being a bit more on the conservative side, but I have no inkling why it would matter that much. I mean, unless we start seeing Naruto carrying Lyndon LaRouche signs on his show - then we'll have a few interesting topic or two.
10円

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
This week's Answerman didn't really do anything for me. Personally I'd prefer the Rant not have to be a rant at all (how about a rave?) and I think we could do without a "Flake of the Week;" we already have enough of those here in the forum already. It's the Q&A that I want to see more of.

PantsGoblin wrote:
There's a huge difference. I personally find toddlercon disgusting.

Where does one end and the other begin? It's all the same to me. No offense intended, but what's the point of trying to take the high road when you're already starting below sea level? In other words, maybe this is one argument you might just want to sit out.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Where does one end and the other begin? It's all the same to me.

There's definitely a difference but maybe you'd have to be lolicon to tell. There are many lolicon who dislike it when you get to the toddler age.

Quote:
No offense intended, but what's the point of trying to take the high road when you're already starting below sea level?

So that people will know the difference. That's all. I'm not trying to say one's somehow better than the other.

Quote:
In other words, maybe this is one argument you might just want to sit out.

Well if this escalates to anything horrible I will sit it out. I don't really see it being "out of control" as of now though.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
BTW - Loved the banner. What anime is it from?

Yeah, I was wondering this too.

Also, I have a small suggestion for Zac/upcoming Answerman columns. While I am enjoying the banners, I must admit, I don't know most of the anime that the banners are coming from. Could you just throw in the anime title when you thank whoever for the banner? Like; "Thanks again to the lovely and talented Sandra McMullen for her (Anime Series) banner this week." Or something? I know it's usually asked in the forum thread, or seems to be, but with all the rant reponses/comments, it's hard to find the answer, if someone even noticed to answer.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
I don't think there should be any offense taken by what was said within the flake, neither sides intended it for what you guys seem to be talking about in my opinion. PG, if it were to get out of hand, the Sith Lord is out there to take of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10