• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Berserkfury819 wrote:
Well, liberal and coservative are really just labels that can mean different things in different countries. Ex. I believe in a free market, and a small government. The latter can probably be attributed to my dislike of authority. Some people have told me that those beliefs are conservative, others have said its a liberal or evan moderate viewpiont. So it all depends on your point of view. As long as we all have something in common though, it doesn't really matter where you stand poitically.

Whatever helps in the great fight against Communism! Very Happy

AMEN! Besides, its all about Feudalism anyway. Very Happy
Sun King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Sun King wrote:
Oh my... now that you've said it, I've realize that you're completely right! What was I thinking??

It's okay, people make mistakes and you did the right think and realised it, which most people don't.

That was sarcasm Rolling Eyes

Wolverine Princess wrote:
I apologize for that comment since it was a little out of hand, but it's kind of hard to talk tastefully about such a distasteful matter. Sorry... Being overly frank is one of my biggest weaknesses; it's definitely a character trait I have to work on improving. Embarassed

Don't give in Princess X-man! Fight for free speech!!!!! Laughing

And lastly, on the issue of politics all I have to say is:
"I'm liberal but to a degree, I want everyone to think like me"
Jamee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Viz:

Quote:
My main complaint is their insistence with typesetting English SFX over the original Japanese in every panel. I find this very annoying.

Personally, I find the way Tokyopop doesn't translate any of the sound effects way worse. This drives me crazy! The sound effects are there for a reason. They convey part of the story. How am I supposed to know what's happening without a translation? Del Rey's method of putting a small translation near the SFX is the best way to do it, but I still prefer Viz's complete translation to Tokyopop's complete lack of effort.

Luckily I barely read any of Tokyopop's titles anymore.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
About the rant:
I'm surprised that the ranter mentioned the Bleach translation without actually mentioning the two worst things about it.

1. Translating Shinigami as Soul Reaper, then leaving virtually all the other Shinigami related terms in Japanese. (WHY?!!!)

2. It's NOT AN F*#%$#ING PARAKEET! Do a google search for parakeet and it will take you a long time to find one with similar colours. While you are search for that elusive bird you will also notice that not a single bird you have seen in the search has a crest like the bird in bleach. That's because the bird in Bleach is a COCKATIEL. It's like calling an Elephant a Rhinoceros...
Anath_19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
sinemente wrote:
Look at Mail's or The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service's notes section in the back. Not only does the editor go into detail about seemingly every cultural obscurity in the book, but there is also a kanji and kana explanation in the back that explains the basics of Japanese written language. And they don't even change the sound effects.

Actually, not changing the sound effects is what soured me a little on Mail. To me, horror is mostly about all the little sound effects, and how can I be properly creeped out if I have to flip back and forth between the page I'm on and the back of the book to find out what sound is happening? Confused The cultural notes in the back, however, were a very nice touch. Overall, I would agree that Dark Horse is quite a good manga publisher.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
as for politics and anime fans I just find it hardly ever comes up.

As for american adaptations My only gripe is when they dramatcly change the story.
Big brother to the guys name doesnt bug me lack of honerifics no big deal. griping about what kind of the bird was the bird in bleach supposed to be whatever minor detail Its thinks like Ye ole back in the day with Tokyo Pops adaptation of Battle Royale that bug me instead of the BR act its a reality TV show! that was a big WTF? not to mentain making some of the lines alot worse then the orignal made alot of the characters alot more cold blooded then they originaly were.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Berserkfury819 wrote:
As long as we all have something in common though, it doesn't really matter where you stand poitically.

I wish it were that simple, I really do, but I would say that the last seven years have shown that assessment to be patently false, and in the absolutely starkest terms possible. Where we stand politically has a surprisingly massive influence not only on our own lives but on the lives of those we will never meet who live in every corner of the globe. In a way, politics has become my religion because even though I've never seen a single prayer accomplish anything I've seen that even seemingly inconsequential political decisions can serve as the primary catalyst for building massive empires and decimating whole societies in virtually no time at all.

Spoken like a true cynic. Not saying it's bad or good, or personally bashing you, just pointing it out. As for your post 10, I would comment on one thing. Our political stance may have an impact in our lives, and of those who perceive us as individuals and as a nation, but I do not see the politics as the primary catalyst for building empires and decimating etc etc. That catalyst is a very simple state of mind; ignorance. Politics ALONE should not be the cause of so many problems in our country, and across the globe. It's when people act like ignorant dicks and let that political, or religious, belief influence every decision they make over common sense and decency that empires, physical, religious, or financial, are born and societies and cultures are decimated. If people acted like decent people and not full of ignorance then things would not escalate to the level they do. Maybe it's just me but I was raised by a concept of personal responsibility. You can believe and think what you want, but at the end of the day your actions are just that, YOUR actions. God didn't make you do it, your President didn't make you do it, you made the choice yourself. To me saying politics, or religion, has so much influence and changes the world and makes us all do the crazy things we do is simply a way out of taking responsibility. Sure they do influence us no doubt, but in the end each person makes a choice to say or do something, whatever it is, on their own. No matter what influences you, or how great that influence is, you are the one making the choice. Whether it's to watch a dvd subbed or dubbed, or to go rally with other to protest something. The fact is where we stand on any subject SHOULD NOT affect how we treat others. The simple truth is that's a nice fantasy and not reality, and that is the truly sad part. In the end I live in a magical world of optimism and self denial by pretending that people may one day see the light and act like decent human beings, and not excepting the fact that life sucks donkey balls and you might as well have fun now before you're older and even more bitter and hate your life and hope for death.

Btw, how about we add a no politics rule to the rant. Politics is too depressing.
Anrui Ukimi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
I found the manga company reviews interesting, if lacking. I admit, I only buy a select group of titles, and most of them have been done decently well by their publishers. The only company I've wanted to beat recently is ADV for their bastardization of Tactics. >_>

Although CMX got a bad rap over the Tenjou Tenge thing, I will thank them 'till I die for releasing From Eroica With Love.

~Anrui
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
Aizen-chan wrote:
About the rant:
I'm surprised that the ranter mentioned the Bleach translation without actually mentioning the two worst things about it.

1. Translating Shinigami as Soul Reaper, then leaving virtually all the other Shinigami related terms in Japanese. (WHY?!!!)
Wasn't the Shinigami <> Soul Reaper translation something that Tite Kubo wanted in the first place? Can't blame Viz for respecting the wishes of the manga author, can we? It's the same as "Angels" in Evangelion or "Li'l Slugger" in Paranoia Agent--they may not be 100% accurate, but it was the director's wish for it to be translated that way. Or so I've heard.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
Unless a story carries many japanese cultural traits, instead of a "Faithful translation" (which would spend a paragraph explaining X trait of culture) it is easier and more accessible to the mainstream if it is localized. That's how it always has been. If you want authenticity, go learn japanese, and buy tankobans!

English translations of Japanese prose fiction hardly ever leave in honorifics. Why is it so important for anime and manga?
Jubet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote
I imagine with some of the longer running manga publishers can release the backlog of manga but once they catch up to the Japanese release they have to slow down so to be able to release manga at a some what regular interval.

I wondered about the conservative/liberal spread, first thinking that as anime was just another form of media it should be pretty equal, but interesting point raised about anime's popularity with youth.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
I've been buying translated manga tankoubon for a long time. The companies that translate them are improving at a rapid rate. They honestly do listen to the fans and change their policies accordingly.

I can't recall exactly which title I bought it came in, or which publisher it was, but I found a postcard survey in one of them. It had questions like "How do you like you SFX translated?" and asked whether or not you want honorifics on the names. I was so shocked in seeing the nature of the questions on the card, that I filled it out, put a stamp on it, and sent it back.

ADV has changed a lot in their translations, and Viz has really made the most improvements. They develop their practices and titles as the preferences of the fans change, and are often tailored to the target audiences of the the titles.

Their largest competitors are obviously the illegal scanlations. However, they also recognize that the translations and practices of the scanners are what fans are after. Tokyopop hired the main translator of the scanning group doing Beck to translate for them as their head translator on the series.

They listen, they really do. It may seem like Del Rey is the best, but they really came in later than the others, and already had a good idea of what the fans wanted. Del Rey has it's own problems (from my point of view) here and there, as they all do.

If you're upset with how something is being done, write them earlier. Don't wait for them to see a huge backlash of flames on some forum board, write them and tell them why you did or didn't like their translations. Seeing how far some of the translations have changed, they'll listen.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
So far I am DEEPLy underwhelmed by Del Rey. The blurb on the back of Ghost Hunt 4 is wrong and completely mangles the plot for the extra story. Translation notes are a joke... the proofreader couldn't even get the name right twice in the same paragraph.

However I am willing to concede that I'm being overly picky and that these were a fluke and hope for better things in the future!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Aizen-chan wrote:
About the rant:

2. It's NOT AN F*#%$#ING PARAKEET! Do a google search for parakeet and it will take you a long time to find one with similar colours. While you are search for that elusive bird you will also notice that not a single bird you have seen in the search has a crest like the bird in bleach. That's because the bird in Bleach is a COCKATIEL. It's like calling an Elephant a Rhinoceros...

well they probably changed shinigami to soul reaper for two reasons one is cause tite kubo wanted it that way the second is because they did have a way to explain what a shinigami is in the anime and soul reaper is really a better english translation of shinigami than say death god also they probably didn't change the other terms because they're not as important and because both the manga and anime explain the terms to the audience

on the second part about the parakeet who cares honestly your making way too big of a deal about something so stupid and has absolutly no importance over anything in the series

people like you dont really care about a series you just want everything to be exactly your way and so you found some lame excuse to discredit the dub and translation which infact is probably one of the most accurate and polished dubs that any shonen series has ever had

P.S. VOTE NADAR 2008!!!!! HE WANTS TO GET RID OF HOMEWORK AND THATS SOMETHING EVERY AMERICAN SHOULD SUPPORT, ALSO IF YOU HAVE EVER BEEN SAVED BY A SEAT BELT YOU ALREADY OWE HIM ONE
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10