• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christina Ricci to Play Heroine Trixie in Speed Racer Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be interesting. The actors who signed up are pretty well known, specially Susan Sarandon. I don't think it's like her at all to sign up for something like this.

Then Christina Ricci - isn't she into independent movie types, or at least movies where the tone is serious? I hope she doesn't make it all gloomy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Then Christina Ricci - isn't she into independent movie types, or at least movies where the tone is serious? I hope she doesn't make it all gloomy.

While she does tend to trend towards darker and/or indie flicks, she's definitely got personality and isn't just a gloomy actress. She was great in Pecker, and also had the leads in family movies like Casper and the remake of That Darn Cat. I think she'll do as well as the script and direction allow her to be.

Although I will admit I'm having a hard time imagining her as Trixie--although I'm also having a hard time remember much about Speed Racer beyond the stilted dub speech.
10円

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Although I will admit I'm having a hard time imagining her as Trixie--although I'm also having a hard time remember much about Speed Racer beyond the stilted dub speech.

I just realized that she played Wednesday in the Addams Family movies. Oh man do I feel old right about now. From what I remember about Speed Racer Trixie was a total ditz who could only seem intelligent next to a clueless spoiled brat like Speed. I can't wait for the narrator to tell us that Racer X is really Speed's long lost brother or whatever over and over again.

Maybe there'll be some fanservice in this version...

Silly Pops, Trixie's For Kids!

Oh wait, it's more like...

There, that's better!
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
Isn't Christina Ricci a bit old to play the part? I've always though of Trixie and Speed as being very young.

But I doubt I'll see the film anyway. There's a widescreen version of V for Vendetta that has been swimming in the $6.99 movie bin at my local grocery store for ages. That bin is so picked over that anything left in there has to be rubbish. I expect Speed Racer to end up in there too.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Hey Wachowski's,last time I checked the characters were Japanese.....
Nermal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Christina Ricci has a huge forehead though. Makes it look like she has a receding hairline. But in a weird sort of way with that big head, small chin to a point, do you think she kinda resembles an anime character brought to life? Haha Anime hyper

haha in a way yes...I always doubted that she was fully human. But I think I saw a recent photo of her with bangs (yes, I read People magazine).
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
LeoKnight: Frankly, I'd be more annoyed, if they turned Speed Racer
into another Spy Kids/CodyBanks/Stormbreaker. They should make it like The Fast and the Furious, but we'll probably get stuck with another Herbie Fully Loaded. *sigh* Oh, and Sarandon=Janet Weiss from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".

hahah. Hopefully it won't be that bad... hopefully it won't turn out bad at all. The Wachowski's are capable directors and seem to know the type of films they want to do....the Matrix films were fun at least if a bit too serious at times. I'm just hoping this will be a good adaptation of another media property. Lately the comic films and the video game films have been so doggone lackluster with the exception of a few...maybe an anime adaptation done right will make people sit up and take notice on how to make a decent adaptation. Lord knows, we don't need Uwe Boll to do anymore films...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece:
Quote:
Hey Wachowski's,last time I checked the characters were Japanese.....

Blame Peter Fernandez for that, not the Wachowskis. Anyway, at least they gave credit to the Japanese creator, which I assume means he's getting his cut out of the deal, which is what matters in these situations. I just hope this leads to Lion's Gate re-releasing the show in Japanese with subs.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Ricci can pull off a 12-year old if she has her breasts bound. This could actually work. Smile

And I would never expect characters who didn't look Japanese in the first place to be played by Japanese actors. Come on guys.

And 10円, you've been ruined by NASCAR by the sound of it. Try watching an F1 or rally race sometime and see what racing really is.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Christina Ricci? I don't know. She just doesn't strike me as the 'Trixie' type. Confused
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I'm also having a hard time remember much about Speed Racer beyond the stilted dub speech.

Does anyone else remember the Dexter's Lab episode which parodied Speed Racer? My God was that funny.

*checks Youtube* YESSSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WozmcTG23Cc

Must-see, guys. Must-see.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:

Does anyone else remember the Dexter's Lab episode which parodied Speed Racer? My God was that funny.

*checks Youtube* YESSSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WozmcTG23Cc

Must-see, guys. Must-see.

Thanks for the laugh! It was needed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2