• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Chained Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know the dates for all of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor OVAs? The site currently only lists the dates for the first two.

Last edited by The Chained Wolf on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The individual episode dates? Anidb.net says:

1) 01.10.1994
2) 02.11.1994
3) 01.09.1995
4) 01.10.1995
5) 01.12.1995
6) 25.12.1995
7) 01.03.1996
8) 01.04.1996
9) 01.07.1996
10) 01.08.1996

DD/MM/YYYY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Chained Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks very much. How do we add the dates to the ANN?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
You go to the episode list, in the blue box select "Episode titles" from the drop down list, click "I know this" button, enter data in the following format:
Code:
epnum. (yyyy-mm-dd)

For instance, the third episode will look like this:
Code:
3. (1995-01-09)
The Chained Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info.
The Chained Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the double post, but I was wondering if there is a source for the romaji titles as well?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, what do we have here? Another example of multiple titles merged by US licensee. Pre-millennium? Check. Sci-fi? Check. On my overhaul to-do list? Check. (sigh) Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I was actually going to bring that question up (are these supposed to be seperate OVA entries?) because I'm coincidentally working on the Tylor TV and OVA series right now. I guess I don't have to ask anymore. Smile I've already got one more probable error (duplicate people cause by a misreading), but I don't have the language skills to research it, and a bunch of duplicate characters in the Englsh credits. Would the editors prefer a separate thread with my findings and queries when I'm done, or can we make this a general purpose Tylor thread?
The Chained Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Would the editors prefer a separate thread with my findings and queries when I'm done, or can we make this a general purpose Tylor thread?

I've changed it to a general purpose Tylor thread so you can use this one.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Why does each OVA episode get its own entry? I've wondered about this before since each Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki OVA and Special has a bunch of separate entries, but it's all one OVA series, so, really, it should be one, single entry. Katanagatari (which is listed as a TV series?) is one entry. As is the Magic User's Club OVA and the Queen's Blade OVA and several more.

So what makes one OVA series a bunch of separate entries, and what makes one a single entry?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Why does each OVA episode get its own entry?

Because that was how it was released and marketed in Japan back then. There have been cases just the opposite: Anime 18 / CPM "divided" Yakin Byōtō (Night Shift Nurses) into multiple semi-independent titles; those were not easy to fix.

The King of Harts wrote:
I've wondered about this before since each Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki OVA and Special has a bunch of separate entries, but it's all one OVA series, so, really, it should be one, single entry.

Don't be too sure about it. That "all one OVA series" in your mind is the product of early American licensees; they had a habit of "reorganizing" titles in their way. Like I said seven years ago: "this is an Encyclopedia, not a licensing information database."

A friendly reminder: you're approaching my red line from two different directions. Be careful.

The King of Harts wrote:
Katanagatari (which is listed as a TV series?) is one entry.

Katanagatari is one of its kind: broadcast on TV in a monthly manner, instead of the weekly basis like most other TV series. It just has a very peculiar broadcast schedule.

The King of Harts wrote:
As is the Magic User's Club OVA and the Queen's Blade OVA and several more.

I'll look into those two.

The King of Harts wrote:
So what makes one OVA series a bunch of separate entries, and what makes one a single entry?

By the way it was released in Japan, not the "Americanized" version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A friendly reminder: you're approaching my red line from two different directions. Be careful.

This is genuine curiosity. When I ask "Why does each episode get its own entry", I'm actually wondering why each gets it own entry.

Quote:
Don't be too sure about it. That "all one OVA series" in your mind is the product of early American licensees; they had a habit of "reorganizing" titles in their way. Like I said seven years ago: "this is an Encyclopedia, not a licensing information database."

I see what you're saying, but where I was getting at was that each OVA is continuation of the last, and when watched at once, it's no different from watching a TV series. I think what might have me confused is that every OVA series that I've looked at is listed as groups. Aside from the ones I mentioned in my last post, there's also Hellsing Ultimate, Roberta's Blood Trail, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and FLCL. Tenchi Muyo is pretty much the only multi-episode OVA not grouped as one, so I never understood it being 5 different entries.

And if you think it's an American Licensee-thing, then how come Mahoromatic: Tadaima Okaeri, Legend of the Galactic Heroes like I mentioned, KissxSis, and Hen Zemi are also all grouped together, but are not licensed?

Going by the thousands of OVA listings in the Encyclopedia, the Captain Tylor OVAs seem to be entered correctly. I'll give in on Tenchi Muyo, though, since there is such a huge time gap between the first, second and third OVAs that separating them does make sense. Although, if done the way you believe it should be, shouldn't it be 18 entries for the Tenchi Muyo OVAs, not 3?

Quote:
Katanagatari is one of its kind: broadcast on TV in a monthly manner, instead of the weekly basis like most other TV series. It just has a very peculiar broadcast schedule.

I was under the impression that the DVD/BDs were released before it was broadcast, but it seems it did air on TV first, so that's my mistake.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts, with Tenchi Muyo the grouped episodes were planned together as an OVA series, while the separate groups were planned out separately from each other. Each separate group was produced at a different time. Basically, they initially planned on 6 episodes. When those episodes were popular, then produced a couple specials, then another 6 episode series. Years later, they decided to make another group of episodes. Each was a separate production, so they get separate entires. This is just like how there are hundreds of TV series in the encyclopedia with multiple seasons that are given separate entries. Series that run continuously and which have no designated breaks between parts of the production are given one entry, while series that have breaks in time between when the parts were produced and/or have new seasons released under a different title are given separate entries. The Tenchi Muyo OAVs are handled exactly the same as things like Sailor Moon or Pokemon or any other anime series that has multiple separate parts. I really don't understand why it seems odd to you.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
OK, so you're saying that Tenchi was originally planned as 6 episodes, got popular, and thus they made more, but they're split based on how they were planned. I get that.

I don't get why dormcat feels the Tylor OVAs, though, should be 10 entries instead of the single one that it is. Are the Tylor OVAs not in the same boat as Tenchi where it was planned?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I can only speak for myself, not dormcat, but I think they are supposed to be like this:

• Episodes 1 and 2
  • Episodes 3-6
  • Episodes 7 and 8
  • Episodes 9 and 10

Haven't really checked yet, and I'm in the middle of watching and recording the credits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2